PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
There's more to Rafe than meets the eye
1 wheels in motion


Chris waited at the telegraph office for anything that would help build a bigger case against his 'friend.' He hated this part most of all. Patience was a skill he had never acquired and with only two days before the trial was to start, he wanted as much information as possible. He was glad that Mary was helping him and that she believed in his gut that Rafe must have killed other women. Frank, the telegraph operator, offered him a cup of coffee while they waited for word. He accepted it gratefully knowing that time was against them.

Back in the offices of the Clarion, Mary started to sort through her old files. Ezra had offered to help, but Mary knew that she was the only one who understood how the files were set up. Steven had a unique way of going about things. He had a coded system so that not just anyone could go through the records and find some things that might be considered confidential. She had loved that about him.

She came across three missing women. Two were six years ago in Indiana, and one was in Kentucky five years ago. If these matched with the whereabouts of Rafe Stewart at the time, then the possibility existed that he was not only responsible for their disappearances but their deaths as well. She sent word to Chris to contact the local papers for more details. Vague descriptions would do no good at a time like this and there was no time to physically investigate the missing women.

Chris was finally getting what he needed. Responses from the Army and various newspapers were filtering in. The dates started matching up with what Mary had found in her files. News from the editors of the papers in Indiana and Kentucky confirmed the missing women were murdered and the bodies disposed of in nearby ravines. The women had been shot through the heart, and tossed aside like garbage.

Chris knew Rafe was a crack shot. He had been hunting with him on more than one occasion in their youth. He would wait until his prey was motionless and then fire. He never missed. Rafe was good at taking his time and waiting. Chris' gut told him that he was responsible for the murders in Indiana and Kentucky, but he knew that it wouldn't stand up in a court of law. Short of an eyewitness, the only thing they could prove was Rafe shot Mary. That wasn't good enough for Chris and he knew it wasn't good enough for Mary. Short of a confession, there was nothing they could do.


2 Just the facts


Chris and Mary sat amidst a sea of papers on her kitchen table, trying to match dates and times with Rafe's whereabouts. They were slowly piecing the history of a murderer together.

"What time is the Judge to arrive?" Mary asked with a yawn.

"Tomorrow on the noon stage" Chris replied.

"We need a witness. You should have seen how he reacted when he saw me alive. He tried to cover his shock, but he wasn't successful" she told Chris.

"Are you sure you're up for this? You're still recovering you know" he said with concern. He continued "I could get Orrin to help me weed through this. Now that he's not presiding over the trial, I'm sure he would lend a hand."

"Chris this is important to me, but for once I'll concede the point. Get him over here and I'll get some rest" she said while rubbing her eyes.

"I'll be back with him in tow" he said with a smile and left the kitchen through the back door.

Once Chris was gone, Mary sifted through the papers and in her tired state a few fell to the floor. She picked them up and noticed something from the Army. It appeared Rafe left a witness after all. The telegram was from a Major Anderson. It had a description of an Army post in the territory of Wyoming. The Major and his wife were living at the post while fighting renegade Indians. A then Sargent Stewart and his men were sent out to trail a small band of Indians. Upon arriving back, the Major was sent to Washington D.C. for a first hand report. He left his wife at the Fort. When he returned, he noticed a scar on her chest and a different demeanor about her. The end of the report wished Chris luck. Apparently Major Anderson had known Chris first hand. As she finished reading the message, Chris and Judge Travis walked in.

"Chris I may have found our witness. Did you read through all these telegraphs?" she asked excitedly.

"I thought I did" he replied.

"Does a Major Anderson ring a bell?"

"He was my commanding officer during the war" Chris said while catching a bit of her enthusiasm.

"Here read this" she said as she handed him the telegram. "Do you know where he is now? Can you find out about his wife? Do you think that they can get here in time for the trial? she asked.

"Slow down. One thing at a time. Here Orrin read this" he said as he handed the Judge the telegram he had just read. "Is this what we're looking for?"

Upon reading the message Orrin said "It may very well be what we need to build a stronger case."

"I'll send for my old C.O. I just hope he can make it in time" he said. He went out the door to wake Frank and send the message.

"There's just one thing I don't understand Orrin. Why wasn't Rafe brought up on charges in Wyoming" Mary pondered as she left the room. "Good night."



3 the witness


Chris waited for the telegram with a cup of hot coffee warming his hands. The night air had a chill that mirrored his nerves.

Finally word came through the wire. Major Anderson and his wife could be there in a day. The timing would be tight, but Chris knew they could nail Rafe to more than Mary's shooting. He thanked Frank and went back to the Clarion. The offices were dark but for the single light in the kitchen.

Chris went to the back bedroom and noticed Mary resting peacefully in the dim light. He softly shut the door and made his way to the table in the kitchen where Judge Travis sat sorting through the additional material that Chris and Mary had accumulated.

"I just got word that Major Anderson and his wife will be here day after tomorrow" Chris said as he looked at the stacks of paper in front of the Judge.

"Something Mary said disturbs me" Orrin continued "The major said nothing in his wire as to why charges weren't filed against your friend."

"I guess we'll have to wait until we meet his wife" Chris replied with a yawn. At least he could sleep in his own bed in the boarding house tonight. "Thanks for your help Orrin" he said as he left through the back door.

"Good night Chris. See you in the morning."

"It is morning" Chris told him as he quietly shut the door.

Orrin continued to look through the stack of papers. He rubbed his eyes and walked to the bedroom of his grandson.

He saw the boy had pulled his covers into a twist of blankets in the low light. So much like his father, he thought as he repositioned the bedding. He shut the door and then locked up the offices of the Clarion and made his way to his room at the boarding house.


Rafe lay in his cell contemplating his next move. Not only was he amazed to see Mary alive, but he also was surprised by her control. He knew that she had seen right through him. From the looks of things it was only a matter of time before Chris and the others would learn of his past transgressions. He smiled at the thought. They might learn of them, but without a confession they would have no proof. The only crime he would be accused of would be shooting Mary and he had already confessed to that crime. He rolled over and went to sleep.


4 the visitors


Chris greeted the stage that brought Judge Berger to Four Corners. "I'm glad to meet you Judge Berger" he said as he helped the small gentleman off the stage. "Judge Travis is waiting over at Maria's with all the particulars of the case."

After taking the man's suitcase to the boarding house, Chris went to the saloon where he found Vin, Buck, Josiah and Ezra playing a friendly game of poker. "The Clarion too much to handle?" he asked Ezra.

"One must keep practice with one's natural abilities" he said and added "Much as I am willing to assist the lovely Miss Travis, I cannot allow my skills to diminish."

"Well depending on how long Mary will be laid up you might just find another opportunity for employment. The Honorable Judge Berger has arrived. If the rumors are right he will hold to the letter of the law; more so than Judge Travis" Chris replied.

"Any luck finding out more about your friend in the jail?" Vin asked.

"My old commanding officer Major Anderson and his wife are expected here tomorrow. Seems his wife has a scar in the same spot as Mary" Chris said.

"How many murders do you think he's done over the years Chris?" Buck asked.

"Mary and I counted at least nine. I just wish we could prove it. Short of a confession and more time, there's no way of knowing" Chris said with a tired sigh and added "Deal me in Ezra" as he pulled up a chair and grabbed a cup of hot coffee.

Judge Berger went to the Sheriff's office before meeting Orrin at Maria's. He wanted to see the man who had nearly killed Orrin's daughter in law. He smiled at J.D. and was surprised at how young the sheriff was. His presence commanded respect and he went to the only occupied jail cell.

Rafe Stewart automatically stood at attention. He looked into the eyes of the small man and then relaxed. This was going to be easier than he thought. He would yet again evade the hangman's noose.


epilogue


The following morning, early, a wagon pulled up by the boarding house. Major Richard James Anderson and his wife of twenty two years stepped from the wagon.

Chris yawned, grabbed a shirt and while buttoning it up went out of the boarding house. He was busy tucking the shirt into his trousers when a voice rang out.

"Is that any way to greet a superior officer Lieutenant?" the Major asked.

"No sir" Chris said as he stood at attention and saluted. He noticed the woman by the Major's side and asked "Is this your wife?"

The Major took great care in taking his wife's hand and calmly and quietly introduced the woman to Chris.

"Elisabeth, I'd like you to meet one of the finest men it has ever been my privilege to know. There's no need to be frightened" he urged. "Chris this is my wife of over twenty years, Elisabeth."

"I'm truly honored to make your acquaintance ma'am" Chris responded as he went to take her hand. She cringed at his attempt to touch her. He could see fear in her pale gray eyes.

"Please pay no mind to her reaction. She doesn't like strangers" the Major said.

"Was she always like this?" Chris asked.

"When I came back from Washington, she had a scar and was abed most of the time. I thought she must have been attacked by the renegade Indians that were constantly surrounding the Fort. I couldn't just leave her, so I've made it my duty to take care of her. She still trusts me despite my going alone to Washington. And what of you Chris?" he queried.

"It's a long story. Perhaps we could take her to my friend Mrs. Travis over at the Clarion. While she's there, you and I could catch up at Maria's" Chris said.

"She might like that. Crowds scare her as well as strangers. It might be a good idea for her to be someplace quiet. Come on Elisabeth, we're going to meet a friend of Chris'" he said as he put a comforting arm around her shoulders.

They walked into the Clarion offices where the smell of hot coffee brewing hit their senses. Mary was getting used to using one arm. She looked up as the bell over the door chimed and saw Chris ushering the Major and his wife into the back rooms.

"It's nice to meet you. I assume you're Chris' commanding officer and this must be your wife..."

"Elisabeth" the Major replied. He continued "You must be Mrs. Travis?"

"Please call me Mary. Elisabeth please sit down. I'm sure the two of you have a lot to catch up on. If it's all right, I'll have her stay with me and my son when he wakes" Mary said.

"That would be fine. Thank you for your kindness Mrs.Travis I mean Mary" he said. Looking at his wife and speaking just to her he spoke in a whisper "I promise I'll be nearby. Chris and I are going to talk over old times. Mary will be here to help you" and then he kissed her and walked out the back door with Chris.


yet again to be continued