PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Story Notes:

The town is always changing. Old friends moves away and Maria lets a cat out of the bag.

The McBride family was disappearing one person at a time. Once a strong family of two daughters and a son Mrs. McBride found herself now quite alone. First the son, Thomas went off to fight in war. He was buried at Vicksburg. One by one the two girls married and left town. One moved east one moved west. They now had families of their own. Thomas and Carey McBride settled into an empty nest life. They discussed moving from the large house Thomas had built for his family. But decided instead to open a boarding house.

Roomy and spotlessly clean several people settled in a permanent guests. They were assured of breakfast and dinner but often were given lunch at no extra charge.

Letters from the McBride daughters were shared everyone under the roof. Boarders were taken in as paying family. Passersby often tipped their hats to people sitting on the front porch of an evening. People slowed their walk to listen to guests standing around the piano for a sing-a-long.

Nathan nearly fell down his stairs the day Buck came to say Tom McBride had collapsed in the street. They were able to get him home and into bed when the second attack hit.

The tough old man survived both heart attacks and it was the pneumonia that followed which took him to the cemetery.

Carey McBride sat in the front parlor speaking with her daughters. They had, of course not gotten there in time for the funeral but arrived to comfort their Mother. Carey's sister Constance came from Chicago. She urged her sister to sell her house and come to Chicago with her. The daughters also made offers.

In truth the final decision was made because of children. Both daughters had small children. Carey felt she was well past full time small children. She always added in her mind, "Although I do love my grandchildren." The daugters returned home slightly miffed, slightly relieved. Constance returned home to prepare for the arrival of her sister.

Carey went to the bank and announced her intention of selling home and property. Her boarders were disappointed but knew they had some time before the house was sold. Eileen Larabee was telling Chris about this decision while they drank lemonade.

"Casey is in town," Eileen said, "I will go and get her and see if there is anything in the McBride house she can use on the homestead."

Chris looked at her sternly, "Is that a team of runaway horses I see going through the kitchen? No it is my sister with one of her ideas."

Hannah-Eileen Larabee with an idea taking shape was a stubborn woman. Chris could tell this one was quickly taking hold.

Maria came into the room and quickly fell in with Eileen and her idea. Chris knew when he was beaten. He watched as both women went out the door to see Casey. Chris sat alone at the table. The next person through the door was an astounded JD.

"Chris," he began, "Your sister and your wife..."

Chris had placed his arms on the table and put his head face down on his arms. He wearily looked up at his young friend. "I could stop maybe one or the other. I can't stop them when they are a run-a-way team. Care for some lemonade?"

One of Eileen personal stable hands left the barn and headed downtown toward the McBride house.

JD noticing this said, "Where is he going? He's got your harvest wagon."

Chris knowing Eileen summoned the man with her brain powers simply shrugged.

At the McBride home Eileen took Mrs. McBride and arranged for payment in a way that would not be a burden to the young people. Carey McBride gave Casey and JD a mahogany Grandfather clock and a mantel clock. Two comfortable chairs were added to the growing collection. Next a Persian rug and several lanterns. Maria chose a glass display table for the various objects that Chris was constantly finding and bringing home. She also decided on a collection of paperweights that were declared by Casey as too heavy to bother with. Casey chose two mirrors. One free standing and one for their bedroom. An extra large bureau for their room would look perfect.

It was then Maria left a cat out of the bag. "You don't happen to have a cradle do you?" she asked in all innocence.

Everyone looked at her in stunned silence. As it happened there were two cradles. Casey knowing she would need one sooner or later took the other one. There were massive amounts of quilts and linens., and kitchen-ware.

Carey McBride made a gift of her horses to Chris Larabee. Her chickens, pigs and cows went to Casey.

******

JD and Chris watched as the overloaded Harvester Wagon trundled toward the house. Spying one of the cradles he slapped JD on the back then hugged him. "You will make the best Father that ever lived."

JD looked shocked but happy. Eileen could not control her laughter.

"It's for later, JD, not for right now," Casey assured him. JD managed to look both relieved and disappointed.

"Besides, the cradle you are looking at is getting off here," Maria stated grinning from ear to ear.

Chris digested this, then scooped his wife into his arms and walked into the house with her. Not before everyone noted a glimmer of tears in his eyes.

JD and Casey followed the wagon to their homestead that was getting more homey everyday. They spent the rest of the afternoon finding places for their new treasures.

******

The house sold faster than anyone would ever guess. A gentleman from St. Louis bought it. He had the strange name of Birdwell Paradise and said his friends all "called him Birdie."

The name was almost too much for Vin and Ezra. When asked if he intended to keep the building as a boarding he smiled slyly and said, "Of sorts."

After several months of renovation the house took on a new personality. Liquor was served there and men made use of the pool tables. But it was the addition of sporting women that had some people in town grinding their teeth. Hearing of this in Chicago Carey McBride was almost glad things had turned out as they had. Her memories were intact and she would never see the changes. Hannah-Eileen Larabee had insisted on giving her a handsome amount of money. She also paid to ship Careys more precious belongings to Illinois. She washed her hands of it and settled in.

-