PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This was a challenge on the Tanner Talk group. This could turn out to be a series. Martin Tanner is my creation that I know of.

All spelling errors are my own, this story was not betaed.

As Vin Tanner and Chris Larabee sat in the Saloon eating breakfast that fateful morning a harried Mary Travis came rushing in with some startling news that could change the life of the young ex-bounty hunter forever.

 

A story had come through the territory that the man responsible for the death of a well known and respected farmer in Tascosa Texas had finally been captured and brought in to stand trial for the murder. The murderer known as Vin Tanner would stand trial even as the man proclaimed his innocence and that his name wasn’t even Vin Tanner, that the Bounty Hunter that had captured him had the wrong man.

 

Chris read the story as Mary explained it to Vin. The three of them sat unspeaking for several minutes before Vin found his voice.

 

“I have to go back to Tascosa, I can’t let someone else innocent hang for that murder.” Vin said as he made ready to leave the Saloon and his unfinished breakfast.

 

“Vin you can’t, they wont believe you and with Eli Joe dead you don’t have any proof that he was really the one who killed Jess just to frame you.” Chris said putting a restraining had on his friend.

 

“Vin let me contact the Judge and see what he has to say before you rush off.” Mary said as she got up and headed out the door to the telegraph office.

 

“Mary’s right Vin, let’s get a plan of action together before we travel to Tascosa.” Chris said as he looked into the confused eyes of his best friend.

 

“Ok, you and Mary are right. I can’t do nothin’ without some proof.” (Snap! Vin snaps his fingers) “I got an idea how I can get some too. Let’s go the telegraph office before Mary gets that message off to the Judge.

 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

A little while later the three walked out of the Telegraph office having had a lengthy conversation with Judge Travis who was just getting ready to leave Eagle Bend on the noon stage.

Judge Travis was already headed to Four Corners to try Yates and the rest of Eli Joe’s men for the crimes they committed. After his messages with Chris, Vin and his daughter in-law Mary he hoped to clear young Tanner’s name and also help the poor soul arrested for the crime.

While Judge Travis had a few hours to spare he sent a message to the Sheriff in Tascosa to find out some more information and inform them that he might have some information about the real killer of Jess Kincaid.

What the Judge got back in response to his message was shocking to him and he tucked the message into his pocket to share with everyone once he got to Four Corners.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

By the time the evening stage arrived Chris and Vin had set Vin’s plan into motion, all they needed now was Judge Travis to do his part.

While waiting for the Judge Chris and Vin sat in the jailhouse discussing all the charges and what the Judge could sentence the men to. Anything from life in prison to a hanging since Yates had admitted to killing a real Federal Marshall. Then they talked about how slow hanging can be and all the details they could dredge up to put a scare into the men. By the time they left for lunch leaving Nathan and Josiah in charge the six men in the cells were starting to murmur about wanting to make a deal.

Josiah and Nathan had brought lunch for the prisoners and continued talking about hangings and prison. Josiah bringing up how Nathan had almost been hanged at one time with only Chris and Vin to save him. The two men talked about many things through the afternoon until they heard the stage.

“The Judge is on that stage, let’s go greet him.” Josiah said to Nathan and headed for the door.

“Sounds good. You think we can leave them for a minute?” Nathan asked.

“Yeah, let’s just take the keys with us, then we won’t have to worry about it.” Josiah answered and walked out the door grabbing the keys as he went.

While all the boys were gone the men in the cells were getting real nervous, with Eli Jo dead they didn’t have any chance of escaping and hanging seemed most likely since they had killed a real Marshall.  Their best bet was to make some kind of deal to maybe get some jail time. 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

“Well boys how are the prisoners?” Judge Travis asked as Chris, Vin and the rest of the boys walked up to greet him.

“We got them runnin scared Judge.” Josiah answered. “Me and Nate here just left im’ thinkin’ on being hanged and what it’s really like.”

“Ya, we talked about how close I was and how it felt.” Nathan added with a big grin.

“Good, good, now this is what I want to do next.” Travis told them, “Buck you and JD here go and round up 12 men to be on the jury and have them go over to the saloon and wait. Ezra, you go and tell the bartender that the saloon is closed for court in 10 minutes. Chris, Vin, Josiah, Nathan come with me and lets get this show on the road.”

Five men walked into the jail and stood looking at the prisoners.

“Good evening Gentlemen, I’m Judge Orrin Travis and I’m here to bring you all to trial and sentence you all to death for the murder of a Federal Marshall and other crimes you have all committed.” The Judge said looking at the men in the two jail cells.

Yates was the one to speak for all the men when he looked at the Judge and said, “Judge we want to make a deal. Eli Jo Whitney killed Jess Kincaid to frame Tanner there for the murder so he could get Tanner of his trail. It was Eli Jo that had us kill the Marshall, we was just following his orders.”

Vin and Chris looked at each other and smiled, Vin’s rouse had worked, Yates and his men had just cleared Vin of murder.

“Ok boys, lets get down to business and take all this information down, Josiah go get Mary so she can have this all written up nice and neat for these men to sign when we’re done here.” Travis ordered.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

A while later the Judge, Mary, Nathan and Josiah came walking into the saloon with a stack of papers to show Vin. They were signed confessions from all the men in Eli Jo’s gang, none of them wanted to hang they figured prison was better then death.

“Vin, Chris, I think it’s time you boys head to Texas and get this thing cleared up. I’ll wire the Sheriff and Judge in the morning to get them know what we have and that you’ll be there in three days’ time.” Judge Travis said as he sat down wearily at the table.

They all congratulated Vin on getting his freedom and coming up the plan in the first place.

Inez came over to the table with a tray of beers and shot glasses and a bottle of whiskey. Buck, JD and Ezra all came to join the rest of the group as they toasted each other on a job well done.

While the festivities got under way, Inez wanted to celebrate Vin’s good fortune, Judge Travis pulled Vin aside.

“Vin, I need to talk to you for a few minutes and I’d like to do it now. I know you and Chris will be on the trail early in the morning and this can’t wait.” Travis looked at the younger man seeing the worry in his eyes. “Nothing bad just something you need to know before you go is all.”

“Ok, let’s go outside, it’s not as noisy out there.” Vin said and walked out leading the older man.

“Vin the man they have in custody in Texas is named Martin Tanner, the Sheriff says he’s a dead ringer for you. He was brought into town a few days ago by a bounty hunter who thought it was you and arrested him as you know. You got a twin brother?” The Judge asked

“No, not that I know of, I know my pa ran off when I was born but that’s all I know.” Vin said “Ma never said if I had a brother, could be he ran off with him when we was born and she was to sad to ever say anything then she died when I’s five.”

The Judge stood there listening to the young man’s tale shaking his head, the thought of what a tough life he has had never knowing his father and his mother dying so young. He was proud to know this man, he’d grown up to be a fine man without the benefit of family.

“Well Vin, he could be your brother or a cousin, I guess you’ll find out when you get there. I’d like you to keep me informed if you would. I have an interest in all this you know and I hope you’ll come back and continue to protect the town. I’ll understand if you don’t want to but I hope you do. It know we all still need you around here, I know those other six do.” Travis said as he patted Vin’s back and walked inside.

Vin stood there a while ponderin’ what the Judge had told him, wondering if he did have a brother. He knew without a doubt that Chris and the boys were like brothers to him but now he might actually have a real brother also. It gave him pause to think and he had three days to do so. With that he walked back inside to celebrate his good fortune with his friends.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Three days later Vin and Chris rode into Tascosa Texas for the first time in years. They went directly to the Sheriff’s office to hand over all the paperwork that the Judge and Mary had worked so hard on. When Vin walked into the office and saw the prisoner it was like looking in the mirror. The two men stood and looked at each other with mixed emotions showing on both their faces. Chris and the Sheriff just stood there looking back and forth between the two men seeing similarities and differences.

Chris snapped out if it first and handed the papers over to the Sheriff to get all this mess cleared up and get Vin’s name cleared.

Vin walked over to the jail cell and looked at the man in there and reached out to him.

“Vin Tanner, and you are?” Vin asked his look-a-like.

“Martin Tanner” The other man answered.

The two men spent the time talking while Chris, the Sheriff and the Judge read over all the documents to clear both Vin and Martin.

Two hours later Chris, Vin and Martin sat in the saloon drinking beer and eating a big lunch.

“So Martin, what are your plans now that you’ve been cleared of this murder charge?” Chris asked as he ate another bite of his food.

“I don’t know, maybe head to Four Corners with both of you and get to know my brother.” Martin smiled at his new found family member and received a matching smile back.

“Geez, I thought one Tanner was enough in this world now we have two to deal with!!” Chris laughed at the two men who smiled and laughed back.

It was a good day to be alive and both Martin and Vin Tanner were very happy men to be alive and free again!!

The End?