PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Deep Water Salvage AU
Author's Chapter Notes:
Many thanks to FaraD for the great beta work, good advice and terrific suggestions. And for helping make this a much better story.

Notes: The idea for this story came after reading several books by Vince Flynn. My apologies to Mr. Flynn. This is an open AU, so if anyone wants to play, please feel free to do so. This AU is set in San Diego, California. The events in Somalia took place in October, 1993. For the purpose of this fictional story and to make the time line fit, this story is set around the year 2000.
Larabee pulled his truck through the big bay doors of the equally large warehouse, parking in his spot. He and Vin stepped out of the truck, looked around and checked over the scope of the business. The sign outside read Larabee and Son, Deep-water Salvage and Consultants. His father, Adam, had retired three years earlier. The 'and Son' was added at his birth and the 'Consultants' had been added two years ago. Adam Larabee still hung out at the office on occasion, but that was mostly for coffee, conversation and company.

The bottom part of the warehouse housed the equipment and paraphernalia needed for the deep sea diving and salvage works while the offices were housed up the metal stairs, where Chris and Vin were headed. After taking a quick peek at the workmans' area under the offices, Larabee commented, "No one's here yet."

Tanner turned on the steps and went back downstairs heading for the small kitchen in the breakroom. "Might as well help 'em out by making coffee." Giving his partner a lopsided grin.

"Hell, pard, one of these days the guys are gonna come string you up after tasting that mud you call coffee," he joked.

"Now Lar'bee, you know yourself the crew has said they never got a good cup of joe until I started making it. The guys like their coffee strong."

"Yeah, okay, whatever!" He quipped, still smiling and heading on up the stairs. Guess I get to make coffee for me and the boys, Larabee thought.

There was a catwalk that connected all of the offices. His was the front office. Next to his area was a large partitioned room that held the workplace of the 'consultants'. Six desks and chairs, sat facing each other. Each desk held a computer and whatever else the quirky men deemed important enough to set in their space. No names, however, graced their desks.

From this office space the catwalk either turned right into a conference room and a large supply closet or angled left and headed back down the metal stairs. This staircase led directly into a locker and mens room on the lower level.

Three years ago, Chris had had no intentions of ever being a part of his father's business. He rememberd fondly how exciting his childhood had been, hanging with his dad at the warehouse, going to sea with his dad and learning to deep-sea dive. His father had taught him every aspect of the business. As a teenager, he earned money during the summers, helping his dad doing what he loved. And Chris loved the sea! He'd always planned a career as a Naval Officer and had joined up right after high school graduation. He did his basic training, then returned to college.

After his graduation from college and a few years at sea, he was accepted into the SEAL program, promoted time and time again, eventually becoming the Commanding Officer (CO) of SEAL Team 8. His elite team consistently won commendations and high praise from the top brass and Larabee moved right up the ladder as a well-decorated Naval Officer. It was believed by his superiors that one day he would become and Admiral.

Then about five years ago tragedy struck. His wife Sarah, his son Adam and his mother, Anne were killed in an automobile accident. Chris and his team happened to be out of the country on a mission when the accident occured. In a state of shock, he was extracted from the operation, flown back to the States and given thirty days bereavement leave.

At the funeral he was numb with shock and grief, unable to comprehend the turmoil going on around him. He crawled into a bottle of whiskey and stayed there. Being unable to help himself, he was equally unaware of his father's anguish, grief and tears.

On the twenty-eighth day his leave, his Executive Officer (XO), Buck Wilmington, went to his house, threw him in a cold shower, cleaned and sobered him up. "They're gone Buck, I can't get 'em back," he whispered and went from denial into the anger step of his grief. There he stayed for a very long time, unable to move on.

When Larabee returned to his Team, he was a changed man. Gone was the easy going, friendly lieutenant they knew and in his place was a stoic, angry, and grieving man. He'd never been a big conversationist, but now his silences were longer and more pronounced. Buck was sadden by the loss of his good friends. Not only had he lost Anne, Sarah, and Adam, but he'd lost his best friend, Chris, as well.

Sarah had been like a sister to Buck and little Adam was his Godson. He had been welcomed into Anne and Adam Larabee's home many times, so the loss of the three was just as devastating to Buck. However, his job was to take over the leadership of the team and complete the mission when Chris had been airlifted out. Buck had suffered the loss without being able to say goodbye or pay his last respects. And now the Chris he knew was gone. Buck wondered if he'd ever see him again.

Then tragedy struck again. About a year later, a near fatal wound curtailed Chris's career. While on a mission he took a bullet in the side while rescuing one of his men. Although the wound was life-threating, his team carried him to safety while Corpsman Nathan Jackson, the team Medical Officer kept him alive by slapping on a field dressing, stopping the flow of blood and making sure he had enough fluids. Once back in friendly territory, Larabee was airlifted to the nearest hospital where his recovery slowly took place.

When he returned to his team, after several months recovery time he was promoted to Lieutenant Commander. Admiral Orrin Travis directed him to his new office and handed him his new assignment. "Chris, you're now in charge of strategy and planning. That means no more field work."

Larabee was in his early forties and was not ready to ride a desk. His brain went on automatic pilot and although Chris performed his duties, he quickly became bored, restless and very unhappy.

After the tragic loss of his family, he'd sold the home he and Sarah had shared and moved into the Officers Bachelor's Quarters. While recuperating from his wounds and subsequent physical therapy, he'd moved in with his Dad. Now, restless and bored, he purchased a small rundown house on a deserted cove at the end of a seldom used road and aptly named it The End of the Road. It was right on the ocean, the dunes behind him with the beach off his front porch. Larabee started right in with the repairs and renovations.

Buck prayed his old friend was coming back to his old self. He knew Chris was seeing the young widow of Admiral Travis's son. She was a beautiful woman, had a son about five years old and Buck thought they made the perfect couple. If Chris and Mary married, he'd step into a ready-made family. Buck prayed the old Chris would soon emerge from his depression.

Instead, he tore down walls, installed a new kitchen, new windows, new flooring and an electric fireplace. He created a private alcove for his bedroom and bath, but otherwise left the house one big room. He added an additional outside shower stall with latticework for privacy. It was perfect for cleaning the sand off after spending time on the beach. The work done, Chris, once again, found himself bored, restless and very, very unhappy. A few months later, the renovations finished, Chris moved into the new house.

Larabee and his Dad started meeting weekly for dinner at their favorite steakhouse. They had just placed their orders with the waitress when Adam said, "I need to talk to you son, I'm thinking about putting the business up for sale."

Chris looked up and said "What? What did you say?"

"I'm going to sell the business. I've had several good offers through the years, but never really considered any of them until now. I want to retire, spend some time wth my feet up, go fishing, you know, relax in my ol' age."

"But Dad, the business..." Chris looked at his dad, confused. "How many years have we been doing salvage? You've had the company ever since I can remember. What are you going to do?"

"Chris, your mom has been gone for some time now...well two years, and I've...well, I've met someone. You know, you met her...Lydia."

Chris narrowed his eyes, "You're not thinking about getting married, are you?" Pausing, he said, "Has it been two years?"

"Yes it has and no, I'm not getting married yet, but I like Lydia and we have a lot in common, plus we have fun together and she makes me laugh. We're thinking about getting a camper and doing some traveling, seeing the ol' US of A."

Chris sighed, "That's what you and Mom planned to do, wasn't it?"

Adam sighed, displayed a small smile, "Yes it was, but it's been awhile since she's gone, Chris. I like Lydia and I think she'll make a fine companion." Still showing a tight smile.

"Please Dad, don't sell the business. I just don't think I could handle that right now." He hated sounding so desperate, but he continued, "Everyday I go to the base and sit in that office. I hate it more and more." He said, rubbing his temples. "Sometimes I feel like blowing my damn brains out!"

The father sat and stared at his son, shocked, "Well damn," he whispered, "I didn't know. I thought you loved the Navy, I didn't realize..."

"As long as I was in the field with my team, I was happy. I guess I didn't think about things so much. I still miss 'em, so fuckin' much."

Adam knew exactly what his son was referring to. "I still miss your mother, Sarah, and the baby, too." Unbidden tears formed in his eyes, "But son you have to move on. Get past it. I know it's not easy, but for your own sanity..." Adam paused, took a deep breath, "Maybe you need to get counseling or something. Hell, I thought you were seeing someone, Mary...err.. well...Mary something?"

"Mary Travis, Admiral Travis's daughter-in-law. You remember, ahh...he lost his son last year? We've dated some, but truthfully, if I had a sister it'd be like dating her. I don't know, Dad, I've been thinking about retiring, too. But I'm not sure what I'd do. Sitting around doing nothing isn't working out so well. You've always so upbeat about the business. I've thought about joining you, but at the same time I didn't want to interfere."

Adam looked at his son, as if he didn't know him, shock etching his face. "When you were on the mend and you came down to the warehouse, did I give you the impression that you were in the way? I'm sorry Chris, if I did, because I was proud to have you there."

"Dad..."

"Look Kiddo, it's always been Larabee and Son and your name is on all of the corporate papers. If you want to join me in the business, then put in your papers, collect your gold watch or whatever the Navy gives you and come work with me. I'll stay on for...well...at least six months. That will give you an idea if you want to work in salvaging. You know it's not for everyone, but you already know a lot about the work, so say in six months or there 'bouts, if you want to keep the business, then we'll sit down with the accountants and the attorneys and ink a deal. Then, I can retire with an income and you can become head honcho.

Larabee closed his eyes and sighed in relief. "You know Dad, I'm going to take you up on that."

Eight months later, father and son walked out of the lawyer's office, full partners in the marine salvage business.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The first of Larabee's former team to join was Josiah Sanchez, Senior Chief, Retired. Josiah had a bit of a drinking problem so everytime he'd get promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade, he'd get into trouble at some bar or get into a fight over a woman and lose his ranking.

Larabee still had nightmares about dragging a very drunk Sanchez out of a bar, bargaining with a bartender so he wouldn't call the police and have him arrested or soothing over hurt feelings when he was dumped by some woman.

The results were always the same. Once sober, Josiah would sheepishly saunter into his office, apologize and beg his CO's forgiveness. Larabee would lecture him, give him an extra job to perform and send Josiah to the establishment in the daytime to clean up the mess he'd made.

SEAL's were never given more than a few chances, but Larabee knew, on the job, Sanchez would be clean, sober and 100% focused on the mission, so Chris cut him a lot of slack. Besides he really liked the guy and Josiah was a popular member of the team. Larabee knew the guys covered for him a lot.

When Josiah retired, his plan was to sit on his boat and watch the world go by. The reality is never as good as the dream, so at Chris's retirement get-together, his friend approached him requesting a job. Looking at his dad and receiving a nod, hired Sanchez on the spot.

The next was Buck Wilmington. The new Commander assigned to the team wasn't the leader Chris had been, so Buck put in his papers and was subsequently hired by the Larabee's.

Larabee was the kind of leader that invited input from his team on any given situation. These men were highly trained professionals and Chris respected that. Although he had to make all final decisions, he drew on the expertise of his team. The new Commander wasn't interested in the team members opinions.

Buck felt he still had a lot to offer, so after putting in his papers, he took off for the French West Indies, nude beaches and fun in the sun where he partied for a month. Upon his return to the U.S., broke, but tanned, rested and nursing the mother of all hangovers, he contacted Chris and joined the firm.

Nathan Jackson, his corpsman or medic was the third man to approach Larabee. Nathan was the only man on Larabee's team that was married. Raine, his wife, wanted a more stable home life and for her husband to retire. Chris had run into them at the steakhouse, he and his dad frequented. He'd stopped in for a steak sandwich for lunch and was invited to join them. Chris agreed, sat down, ordered his sandwich and Raine started right in on him.

"How do you like retirement?"

Chris smiled, "It's great, but I have plenty to keep me busy. I didn't realize how busy Dad was until I started working with him."

"I'm so sick of Nathan being gone so much. You know, we're wanting to start a family, but just a soon as we get an evening off together that phone rings and he's off again."

"Honey," Nathan cleared his throat. "I don't think the LT. wants to hear about our (ahem) problems."

"Why not," Raine exclaimed. "If you're off in some god-forsaken country and I'm here, how are we ever going to have a baby?" Looking back to Chris, "I'm trying to talk Nathan into retiring."

Embarrassed, but trying not to show it Larabee grinned, "Well, she has a point Nathan. You should have your time in, don't you?"

"Yes, I could retire, but then do what? Being a house-husband isn't my cup of tea. And I know we have to make a decision about a family soon, but I love what I do and I'm not quite ready to give it up."

Raine starred at him, "I was under the impression that the decision had already been made. We both agreed we'd try and have a baby." She almost growled.

"You two might want to have this conversation in private, why don't I get my sandwich to go?" Chris was definitely embarrassed now.

"No!" Nathan said, stopping him from rising. "I'm sorry Sir, we shouldn't be discussing this here."

"Nathan, you don't have to call me sir any more, Chris is fine." Smiling he said, "Why don't I throw this out for discussion. I've already hired Josiah and Buck. I can hire you, too. It's salvage work, sometimes we're at sea a few days, on occasion it's...maybe a week. But mostly it's a day or two, then you're home a few days. It's definitely not 9 to 5, but we try to have everyone home on the weekends. Sometimes that's not possible, but we do try. We have a lot of family guys working with us. It's worth a thought anyway."

Raine smiled, "You'd do that for us?" Their lunch order arrived.

"Of course, we can always use a medic. In fact, we need a medic. Think it over."

"As a doctor, Chris, when I'm on call my schedule might require me to be available 24/ 7. Will you let us discuss this later and get back to you? These sandwiches look great." Raine was a happy lady. The couple talked it over that evening and agreed it was workable and a few months later Nathan joined Larabee's firm.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A few months after his father officially retired, the CIA came calling. Raphael Cordova de Martinez asked Chris to lunch one sunny day and after a long conversation about nothing, Larabee smiled and said. "Raph, ah...may I call you Raph?" receiving a nod and a smile, "Raph, what is it you want? And spare me the bullshit."

"Very well," came the smooth answer. "My collegues and I have followed your career for many years and was saddened by the breakup of such a spendid and well co-ordinated team. Now I see you are basically back together and we were wondering if you are interested in working for your country? The rewards would be many. Your country would pay you well and you'll have the knowledge, albeit secretly, that you were instrumental in saving lives."

"Mercernaries?" Chris raised an eyebrow.

"If you wish to put such a negative label on it." Raphael shrugged.

Chris laughed, he actually liked his man. "I'll talk to my crew, see what they say."

de Martinez had learned through the years that by adopting his spanish demeanor and using his honey-toned voice cleverly, he was more likely to influence the client to his way of thinking. "Senor Chris, you may only share this with your former amigos. Your other crew members are rugged and very tough to be sure, but only your team has the capabilities we are looking for. There are four of you, si?"

"Yes, there's four of us. I'll talk to them, see what they say. They'll want to know how they'll get paid so that my salvage crew does not become suspicious."

"We'll open accounts for you and your men in the Islands. As they are paid, they may transfer money to their other accounts or leave it there. The choice is theirs. They just have to be careful of the tax laws. Comprende?"

Larabee gave his companion a tight smile and a nod as they rose to leave. After Raph paid the bill, they shook hands and promised to meet again soon.

Friday night, the men gathered for their regular poker game at the beach house. Their boss layed out the outline the CIA operator had offered. Chris answered as many questions as he could, agreed they'd have to have some additional training. Josiah had been away from the BUD/S training venue for several months. After listing the pros and cons of such a venture, all four men agreed to try one mission. As long as they were allowed to set up a training course.

After a few months of hard work and rigorous training, Larabee felt they were ready. Raphael agreed and a mission was selected for them.

Raphael de Martinez had worked as the handler and training co-ordinator for the unit. He and Larabee had struck up an unusual friendship that soon led to a sexual relationship. Chris still was't sure how that had happened, one minute they were practicing hand to hand combat on the dunes outside his house, the next minute they were clutching and gropping each other, rubbing their bodies together. Luckily they were alone on the beach at the time, but Larabee's place was pretty secluded.

As both men were alpha males, the affair was very intense. Neither man wanted to be the one to give in so their coupling was more like a wrestling match to see who could pin who. It was pure animalistic sex, a contest to see who could dominate the other. Larabee, who had never considered having a male lover, couldn't believe how incredible and exciting the sex was.

They parted amicably when Raphael decided to reconcile with his estranged wife. Laying naked in bed one afternoon, he explained to Chris that she was pregnant and he felt like he should give their marriage another try. Even though he wasn't sure if the child was his, DNA would decide that at birth, he and his wife had remained friends. The two men joked about their affair and vowed to remain friends. Chris was astonished, however, to learn he had enjoyed the rougher sex play and missed the intimacy he'd shared with Raphael.

Their first mission went well and was a success, but it wasn't perfect. Their timing was off and to Larabee's way of thinking, it was a miracle no one had been killed.

In the conference room, afterwards, they tore themselves apart. No one tried to lay blame, but they were all mad at themselves and disgruntled with their actions as many over-achievers tend to be.

Chris rapped on the table. "Quiet, quiet everyone," he bellowed, "Now we know what we did wrong, now let's focus on what we need to do to improve ourselves?"

"We need more men." Jackson stated.

Josiah added, "We need a communications expert or a computer specialist and at least two more men."

Buck spoke up, "I think I can help us with the computer specialist. My cousin, JD just graduated from Stanford. I know this ain't right," he grinned sheepishly, "But he paid his last two years tuition by hacking into several bank databases and transferring a dime from, well...thousands of customers into his own account..."

Chris laughed, "You mean little JD is in Stanford, hacking and stealing? My God, he's what...14?" Chris shook his head, still amused.

"Hell stud, he ain't so little any more. He's almost 20. And yeah, he's graduating already. I can't believe it myself. But back to the problem, how many of you would miss a dime from your bank statements?"

"I don't know, Raine goes over our statements with a fine toothed comb, but most wouldn't miss it. I'm sure you're right!" Jackson grinned.

"After he hacked into those systems, there was nothing to show he'd even been there. He's never been caught. And not only that, but he can set up any kind of system you want. A lot of big corporations have approached him, but if you want to talk to him Chris, I know he'd really like workin' with you. You and I have always been his heroes." Buck crowed proudly.

"Okay Buck, arrange a meeting for us. He sounds just like what we need. In the mean time, I'm going to nose around and see who might be available to fill these other slots. I'm not going out again until we have the manpower we need. Meanwhile I'll talk to Raph, see if he knows who else might be available."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chris was very impressed with JD's skills and Raphael signed him up to take the CIA Field Operatives Training Course.

Raphael de Martinez also recommended a FBI field operative who'd been accused, but not charged with taking bribes. Ezra Standish had been assigned to desk duty while the charges against him were being investigated, only no investigation was ever launched. Standish was bitter that his many years of good service and loyalty was being called into question, if indeed, they actually were in question. No inquiry had been scheduled, so Ezra was made to wait it out at a desk job, full of 'make busy' work but of inconsequential importance. Raph liked Ezra, trusted him completely and was upset at the way he was being treated. After all, that could have been any one of them. And his skills as a language specialist fluent in several dialects was being wasted when they were needed he most.

Chris, Raphael and Ezra met for lunch, talked and came to an agreement. Ezra would join the 'salvage' industry and become part of Larabee's crew. Standish gave his superior's notice that same afternoon.

They needed one more man, but was stymied by how to get him. Ezra suggested checking the 'trade' magazines, but Larabee wasn't sure that was the way to go.

Then out the blue, Admiral Orrin Travis, invited him to lunch. After they ordered, Admiral Travis got right to the point. Never one to skirt around a subject, he said, "Chris, what's this I hear about you? You're putting together a Team of Commandos?"

Larabee stared at his old boss, then looking around to see if anyone might be listening, he glared at him again.

"I understand you're looking for a shooter? True or not?" Orrin had continued.

Chris, at a loss for words continued to glare at his former CO.

Travis went on, taking his former lieutenant's silence for an affirmative. "I know someone you might want to consider. He's just left the Army Rangers where he was assigned as a sharpshooter. He had ten years in before he left. I always thought he'd be a lifer and I was really surprised when I heard he'd left. His markmanship score is almost always perfect." Orrin paused, "And he can hit a target right between the eyes at 1500 yards, give or take, and with the right gun, of course."

Travis could tell he had Larabee's attention. Their meals came and both men prepared to eat.

"I need someone who's seen combat, plus I'm guessing this is personal, Admiral." Chris stated. "But first, how did you know about the team?"

"I know Raphael de Martinez. And I make it my business to know what's going on. As far as combat is concerned, Vin was in Somalia in October of '93. But if you need more combat experience than that, well, he has it. And yes, this is personal. I knew his father and served with his grandfather. His father was killed in some sort of accident while training recruits when Vin was a toddler. His mother died when he was five. His grandfather took over and raised him. I think the kid was ten when the old man died. I lost track of him after that. He got lost in the Texas Foster System."

"You seem to know a lot about the guy. How old is he?" Chris was definitely interested.

"He went into the Army right out of high school so I'd say he's probably twenty-eight or twenty-nine."

"How can I meet this guy? I'm definitely interested!" Larabee exclaimed.

"I'll set it up," Travis told him. "He's looking for something to do, but he's not sure exactly what. The kid can't seem to find his niche in life. He told me he was thinking about going back to Texas."

"I'll talk to him, maybe we can work something out. You're right, we need a shooter on the team, but if you repeat that I'll deny it." Chris laughed.

"One thing," Travis continued. "Vin's gay. I don't know the whole story, there's a couple of versions, but his CO claims Vin offered to suck his dick. You know the army, that gossip got around pretty damn quick. Vin told me it was the other way around. All you can do is meet the guy and form your own opinion."

Chris pursed his mouth in thought. "I don't care if he's gay, but if he offers something like that to my crew, they'll probably beat the shit out of him."

"Yeah, I'm sure they would. Well, do you want to meet him or not?" Travis questioned.

"Yeah, set it up. Should be interesting.

They finished their meals, paid and left.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sergeant Vincent Tanner sat at the bar nursing his beer. Vin, slightly amused with himself, back-peddled. Okay, ex-sergeant now that he was a civilian. After ten years the word 'civilian' sounded strange, even to his ears. He'd spent the first year of military service in the Infantry. The second through the eighth year, as a sniper for the Army Rangers and the last two years he'd spent training new recruits to load, fire and shoot their weapons. He hadn't minded being referred to as Sarge, he was proud of his rank and most of his accomplishments. If it wasn't for Master Sergeant Anderson outting him, he'd still be on that firing range. But, he sighed, all good things came to an end.

After talking to Orrin, he had agreed to meet with Mr. Larabee about becoming a mercenary, of all things. He had gone to the library and used one of their computers, to check Larabee out. Vin simply could not believe the turn his life was about to take. Contrary to popular belief among his colleagues, he was not a cold-blooded killer. What he was actually more interested in, was working for the salvage company this guy owned. Now that would be right up his alley. Any time he'd a leave coming, Vin would head to a destination with good scuba or snorkling areas. He loved all sports, but especially diving. He sighed again, at least he had enough money saved that he could live comfortably about a year without a job. Smirking to himself, that is if he didn't take too many vacations. He checked his watch, Larabee was late, he should just leave, but truthfully, he had nowhere else to be and no one else to meet, so he ordered another beer.

Tanner glanced up as the front door opened and a man dressed all in black walked in. Vin's heart quickened, he gasped as the ability to breathe left him. Stunned, his cock even stood up to take a peek, walking towards him was the best looking man he'd ever seen.

Larabee held his head high, displaying a cocky grin as he headed towards his quarry. His demeanor was proud, confident and very self assured. Vin knew at that moment, he'd follow this man anywhere, even to the deepest, darkest depths of hell.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chris walked into the Bumble Bee Lounge and looked around. It was a bar, much like a hundred others that lined the street, serving the military personnel of San Diego. Somewhere a jukebox played country western music about three decibels too loud, as men and women in and out of uniform played the 'let's get laid tonight because tomorrow we may all be dead' game. This was a game he was well familiar with, because, before he'd met and married Sarah Connelly, he'd played it a thousand times himself.

Since her death, when he wanted female company, well, there was Inez's Cantina close by. A casual romance had sprung up between Buck and Inez, so this was where they all hung out.

He spied the person he was there to meet sitting at the bar. Chris started over that way, when he saw Tanner look his way and stand up.

He had shoulder length hair and wore a BDU jacket, the sleeves rolled up to the elbows, white T-shirt and Levi's just old enough to be comfortable. Western boots peeked out from beneath the bottom of the jeans. The blond's steps faltered when he looked and found himself falling into eyes as blue 'as a summer day'. Vin's smile was lop-side and Chris felt his groin stirred as he neared the other man. He couldn't help but to smile back him. He wondered if anyone would notice if he ripped Tanner's clothes off, forced him to the floor and took him right there. He smirked at his own foolishness and mentally prepared himself to meet the man.

"Mr. Larabee? I'm Vin Tanner. Most folks just call me Vin." The two men shook hands and Larabee noticed the name 'Tanner' stencilled above the jacket's pocket. He leaned in close and spoke in Vin's ear.

"It's loud in here, let's go for a walk." He had to shout to be heard.

"Sure thing Mr. Larabee. I'm all settled up with the bartender so we can go."

"Call me Chris. We're very informal around the shop."

The two men left the lounge and crossed the street. They could hear the surf as the waves rolled onto the beach and headed in that direction. Following the path through the dunes, the two men traversed the Strand and sautered on down to the beach. Walking along the shore, they allowed themselves to bask in the comfortable silence, then turned and faced each other.

Larabee turned and looked Tanner in the eye. "I'm sure you already know why I wanted to meet you. Admiral Travis said you're a sharp-shooter and that's what we need. He was quite impressed with your scores. You interested?"

"Just like that? No questions, no warnings, no seeing my records? I'm interested, but I got a few questions for you."

"Orrin Travis's word is good enough for me. You've already been in combat so you know the score. The only difference is, we go in quietly, do the job and exit quietly. No engaging the enemy if we don't have to. If we do have to, it's take no prisoners. You shoot to kill, if any are still alive, a double-tap to the forehead will take care of that. You in or out?"

Vin laughed, "That easy, huh? In or out." Shrugging his shoulders, "I'd like to be in, but I reckon you need to know that I'm gay before you go and offer me a job."

"I didn't ask." Chris answered, caught off guard.

"Yeah well, don't ask, don't tell hasn't exactly worked out so well for me." He told Chris, trying to hide the bitterness he was feeling. "It's like having a eight-hundred pound gorilla sitting in the corner waiting to pounce. So I just wanted to let you know, up front, before you heard it through a grapevine. I'm surprised Travis didn't tell you."

"He did mention it, but he said he'd let you tell the story since he wasn't clear on the details. But, I can tell you this, my crew won't care what you are or aren't as long as you do your job and don't hit on any of them. They're all straight." Chris smiled an evil grin, thinking, 'cause I'm the one gonna nail that ass to the wall.

"I ain't gonna be hittin' on any of 'em. I keep my business...," he paused, "...away from my...business." Sighing quietly, he continued, "You need to hear the story?"

Larabee shook his head, no, and they turned and started back towards the street. "So Tanner, you in or out?"

"I reckon I'm in then. When do I start?"

"Tomorrow! You have a place to stay? We'll start training together as a team. We need to get our timing precise and movements co-ordinated like a well oiled machine. You dive?"

"Hell yeah, I've dove the reefs a bunch a times."

"Good, I was afraid you'd need some classes, but since you don't, we'll start right away. Here's my card, that's the address of the warehouse. Be there at six tomorrow morning. You'll meet the rest of the guys and we'll start getting ourselves ready. Any questions?"

"I'll have to find a place to live, any suggestions?"

"Yeah, we have some cots at the warehouse, you can bunk there 'til you find something. It's not private, but it's not used a lot either. And it's cheaper than a motel." Larabee unlocked his truck and climbed in. "See ya in the mornin'."

Vin looked at the card, "I'll be there!"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The next several weeks were made up of rigorous and brutal training. The men were getting to know and respect each other and their leader learned each man's strengths and weaknesses. With Travis's permission, he took the men through the BUD/S course. Because the team, with the exception of JD and Ezra, had already been through Special Forces training, he skipped hell week and just concentrated on the physical parts of the course. JD being young and already athletic, looked upon the course as an adventure, but Ezra was a different matter. Each night he would fall into bed, muscles aching, cursing their leader and at one point, called Vin by his first name. That was completely out of character for Ezra. The team, however came together cheering and encouraging Standish on, helping him overcome the obstacle course. This told Chris that his team was coming together and would be the tight knit group he required them to be.

Two weeks later Larabee invited them out to his house for the friday night poker game. This was Vin's first time at the house and he was so impressed, he offered to buy it. Chris laughed and told him it wasn't for sale and that brought on a general discussion about places of abode located near or far from the city.

Ezra dealt the cards and as the men anted up, Chris asked Vin, "You find a place to live yet? I noticed some of your stuff still in the quiet room."

Vin sighed, "I ain't rightly had time. I still need to buy a car, too. Reckon I'll try and look for a place on Sunday. Uh, we are off on Sunday, ain't we?"

"Well, uh, I was hoping we'd be able to try the obstacle course out back Sunday." He said grinning.

"I reckon I could rent your front porch then, throw my sleeping bag down and sleep there." He laughed.

"Well, you know Vin, that's not such a bad idea. You could move out here!"

Heads around the table snapped up at that offer, Buck frowned and Josiah grinned.

Vin was as surprised as anyone, "You sure, cowboy, I wouldn't want to invade your privacy."

Buck continued to frown, he'd noticed Vin calling Chris 'cowboy' before, without the blond reprimanding him. Buck knew for a fact that Chris hated nicknames, especially directed at him. "Where would he sleep, Chris," he challenged.

"This is San Diego, Buck, there's no cold weather, hardly any rain and shoot, it's always nice out here. I've got a couple a empty drawers you could use and there's a coat closet by the door with no coats in it. It's not large, but if everything you own is in that duffel, well, you'd have plenty of room. If it does rain, you could move indoors. What'll you say, pard?"

"I... I guess it could work, temporarily. I pay my own way, though. And I'll still need some sorta car, that way you won't have to drag my ass everywhere you go." He paused, shrugged and said. "Sure, why not?"

"Since everyone's staying here tonight, tomorrow, we'll drive down to the warehouse and collect your stuff. If you want, we can stop at a dealership and check it out, see if we can't get you a deal."

Vin smiled, "Okay cowboy, sounds like a plan to me."

"Everyone in?" Ezra asked as he began to deal the cards.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Later that night, Chris lay in bed, feeling pretty good with himself. He'd been wanting to make a play at Vin, but really didn't know how he was going to go about it. Now, living in his house he'd be more accessible.

There was really big differences between Raphael and Vin. Raph had a mean streak, was ruthless and could be downright cruel. Vin was more easy going, mellow, patient and peaceful.

The difference between Vin and Raphael had become clear on the issue of Ezra. Despite the fact that Raph had recommended Ezra to the team, or because of it, Raph was impatient with the man's progress, or lack there of, in the physical training. Vin had watched Raph sneer at Ezra one to many times, and without a word to anyone, started spending more time with Ezra during the training, taking him under his wing. Ezra started making slow but sure progress, enough that even Raph was seeing it.

Vin was peace and quiet while Raphael was like a bad storm. He blew in all rough and raging, then he was gone. Vin was like a breezy summer day, airy and cool.

Having sex with the CIA Agent was vicious and rough, not that Chris didn't enjoy that, he smirked, because he did. But he wanted to make love to Vin's body. He was almost sure that his friend felt the same way.

The CIA agent hadn't been in his bed for a few weeks now and Chris was okay with that. Raph had told him the affair was over and now Vin would be living here.

There was no reason he and Vin couldn't be together for awhile, maybe enjoy a brief affair. They didn't belong to any government agency or to a company that forbade personal relationships. Hell, he was the head honcho, he made his own rules.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tanner moved in the following day and bought a used Dark Blue Jeep Wrangler for transportation. It was only a few years old and drove pretty good. For the most part, he slept on the covered porch in a sleeping bag. He loved being outside and loved watching the stars.

Within the first month the two men worked out a comparable division of work and expenses. Chris had been thrilled to learn Vin knew how to cook.

Vin lay awake one night, thinking about how his life had turned out. It was almost a god-damned miracle and the only thing missing was Chris sharing his sleeping bag. He tried to imagine making love under those stars, sharing kisses and touches with his roommate as he fell asleep.

A few weeks later, on a Saturday night around midnight, Vin couldn't sleep and was sitting on the bottom step of the porch with a beer in his hand. He wore a pair of Levi shorts and was shirtless. The moon hung large and low in the sky as the surf crashed onto the beach. Vin heard the screen door snap close behind him and turned to find Larabee standing on the deck, wearing only sweats that hung low on his lean frame.

"Can't sleep?" he asked.

"No, you?"

Chris sat on the step directly behind Vin and started to knead his shoulders. The moon, they noticed, was very seductive. Men in their profession did not think of the full moon as romantic, they thought of it as revealing and always cursed its presence and the light it cast, but tonight, they let its allure draw them.

"Damn Vin, you're muscles are tighter than a bow string," and continued to massage the shoulder.

Vin grinned and relaxed into the rubdown.

"You okay with me touching you?" Chris whispered as his hands moved forward to Vin's neck..

Tanner stiffened, then relaxed into the inviting hold. "Yeah, I'm...you're...we're good, he stammered.

The blond slipped down one step, wrapped his arms around the body of his sharp-shooter, placed his legs alongside Tanner's and began placing little bites and nibbles on the back of his neck. Vin leaned back into those kisses as Chris placed his hands on the little brown aureoles massaging them gently.

Larabee scooted closer, rubbing his hard erection against his partner's back, he slipped his hand inside the shorts and slowly stroked Vin's hard cock and defty massaged his balls. Vin had his hands wrapped around his lover's arms, whimpered as tremor racked his body.

"I'm gonna..." he panted, and came all over Chris's hand.

Chris, much to Vin's surprise, continued to shower kisses, lick and nip at his neck.

"I'm sorry, Chris, it's been awhile for me," he whispered.

"That's okay," he whispered back, "We'll go for round two in a few minutes. What'll say we go back inside to the bed." And not waiting for an answer, pulled his lover up and close to him, continuing to rain kisses on the very tempting mouth and earlobes.

Vin groaned and wrapped his arms around the body he'd been craving since he first saw it several weeks ago. They slowly made their way inside the house to the bed. The blond had unfastened his partner's shorts, while at the same time, Vin had pushed the sweats off his lover's body.

With their clothes on the floor, both men fell naked to the bed. Taking special care, their passion spiking, as hands caressed, mouths tasting and bodies coming together as they made their way toward that highest crest, their bodies exploding then slowly floated, gently as they made their way back to earth.

After getting their breathing back to normal, they lay, wrapped in each others arms, legs tangled, toes mingling. Chris ran his fingers through his lover's hair, soothing and at the same time being soothe.

"Will you stay in the bed with me?" Came the question.

"I thought you'd never ask," was the answer.

Thus starting the relationship that would stand the test of time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chris made the morning coffee, helped himself to a mug and returned to his office. He could hear the crew coming in downstairs, for work, stowing their gear and joking with Tanner. They had a large salvaging job that was starting today and Larabee hoped he would be able to supervise it himself. It had been a long time since he'd been out on the reconverted trawler they used and he was a man that loved the sea. Vin was capable of running the day to day business by himself, but if he needed help, there was always Buck or his Dad.

The blond chuckled, remembering Adam's reaction when he returned from his trip with Lydia and found out he had let Vin move in with him. So much had happened in the eight months they'd been gone. Chris had agreed to work with the CIA, met Vin and started their relationship. To say his dad was upset would have been putting it mildly.

Strangely enough, Buck and the guys seemed to shrug it off and went on with their own lives. Granted, Buck was a little leery of Vin and gave Chris some of his sage advice, but within a few weeks, Buck decided to just stay out of it and see how things went. No matter what he did, the relationship would last or it wouldn't.

Upon their return from their motorhome excursion, Adam had driven out to the beach house on Sunday to catch up with his son. Vin was home alone, putting a coat of primer on the new back porch they had built. Vin introduced himself and informed Chris's dad that his son was working, but was due back in Monday afternoon. Adam ask Vin who he was and Vin explained that he and Chris were room mates. Adam thanked him and left.

The following day the crew docked and Adam was waiting at the pier. He fixed the laser glare, the Larabee's were famous for, on his son and wanted to know what the hell was going on. Chris was surprised to see his Dad, even more surprised to see the angry scowl on his face, took a deep breath and suggested they go to his office. There was no use airing laundry in front of the crew.

Larabee picked up his gear, told everyone they did a good job and he would see them on Tuesday. He dumped his stuff by his truck and headed for the office. A quick glance into the larger office and a quick counting of heads let him know the others were there. Vin glanced up at him, smiled his brief half smile and shrugged.

Chris knew without a doubt, that his father had already been to the house, met Vin and had probably figured things out. Never one to run from a challenge, sighed and thought, 'okay let's get this over with.'

Stepping into the office, he dropped into his chair. Motioning for Adam to take a seat, he said, "You have a good trip, Dad? When did you guys get home? A lot has happened since you've been gone."

"Why don't you tell me about it, Chris, starting with that little creep you got staying with you," Adam snapped.

"So, you've met Vin." He smiled, "Vin's a good man, dad." Pausing, "Well, not too long after you left the CIA came calling, and I've agreed to work with them on certain projects. That's the 'consultants' that's been added to our sign. They're all good men. Most of 'em are ex-military. Vin included. You already know Buck, Nate and Josiah."

"What are you doing for the CIA?" His dad inquired.

"I'm sorry sir, but that's classified, but nothing that will bring anything bad down on us. And just to be on the safe side, I've kept the business and the other stuff completely separate. Although, I hope you noticed there was something extra in your paycheck every month. You can thank the government for that." Chris grinned.

"I noticed the increase, I thought maybe you'd brought in extra work." Adam didn't mince words, "Now who is this guy living in your house?"

"Well now Dad, that's a bit more complicated." Chris hedged, "Vin and I are...well, we're..."

"You're what exactly!"

"Okay, we're together. We're in a relationship, Dad, and before you go ballistic, it was a mutual thing. I like him, he likes me, bang, we're together, end of story," and Chris made a sideways slashing motion with his hand.

The guys were watching the two men in the office, when the older man jumped to his feet, leaned over the desk, his face turning bright puce and started screaming. Chris rose from his chair and faced his dad, his face red, arms crossed in defiance. Words floated over the partition like fag and queer. Vin put his head down into his hands. Buck got up, walked over to Vin's desk, rubbed his back and explained to his partner.

"Don't worry Vin, he's just surprised, that's all. This'll all blow over and you'll be accepted as the third son, me being the second one, of course." He smiled. Vin looked up and said quietly, "I hope so. I didn't want to cause a rift 'tween Chris and his Pa. They're family!"

Ezra spoke up, "So are you, Mr. Tanner, so are you."

A few minutes later, the office door slammed shut, rattling the windows, as the older Larabee marched down the stairs and out.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

His dad finally accepted Vin and the tension eased up. He had Lydia to thank for that. He didn't like her in the beginning and Chris realized why he felt so much resentment towards her. After all, she was taking his mother's place. But once he reflected on his and Vin's relationship, well he eased up on her, also.

At the same time, Lydia calmed his father down, helped him to understand that his and Vin's relationship wasn't the end of the world. Little by little his dad came around and with Lydia's guidance, grudgingly accepted the situation.

Vin and Chris celebrated their first year anniversary with an exchange of rings. They had bought the rings on an impulse and while watching the sunset from the beach, laughing self-consciously slipped each other a ring box. Kissing, each vowed to love the other until the end of time and holding hands, watched the sun set behind the western horizon.

A few days later, Lydia threw them a surprise party to celebrate their year together.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He and Vin had been together just over two years, now. His dad, while he still didn't embrace Vin, didn't shun him either. Vin and Adam had had many one on one talks, but since no blows had been exchanged, Chris felt they were way ahead of the fray.

Adam and Lydia were married later that year in a barefoot beach ceremony and Chris performed very well as best man.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The crew started loading essentials on the trawler, when Vin headed back up the stairs. He knew Larabee wanted to get an early start this morning. The job was a large one and would take at least three, maybe four days to complete when Vin heard his lover's cell phone ring.

Chris snatched the phone up from where it was laying on the desk and growled, "This better be important!"

"Ahh, Senor Chris, I have a job for you..."

"Raphael? How the hell are you? I haven't heard from you...in what...almost two years now. How're things going?"

"Things are going great, Chris. I've missed you, though. How's Francis Corcoran working out?"

"Our handler? Great! He's a good guy, he's not you, but in the two years he's been our guru, I haven't had any complaints about him. How about you?"

"Well, I'm temporarily back in San Diego. Frank's on vacation, that's why I'm the one calling you, we have a bit of a situation."

"You sure know how to lead a man into temptation, Raph," Chris laughed, "What type of situation?"

"There's a family, David Potter, his wife and three kids were vacationing on a island in the Phillipines. They're missing. Can we meet this morning and talk?"

"Uh, all right, I'll need about an hour, I was going out on a job today, but I guess I can put the first mate in charge. Where do you want to meet?"

"Your office will do."

"Okay, I'll be here."

Chris set the phone down and reflected back to the last time he'd seen Raph. Two years ago Raphael had been transferred back to Washington D.C. and Frank Corcoran had became their handler. Raph had been his friend, his lover and man in charge of the team. Chris had missed his friend and was looking forward to seeing him again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When Raphael de Martinez arrived at the office, he greeted the men enthusiasticly. Buck started relaying several stories of misadventures he, Chris and the others had gotten into. Vin laughed with the others, but felt a sense of wariness or foreboding, he had never felt comfortable around Raphael.

When Chris entered the room, Raphael grabbed him in a bear hug. The hug was eagerly returned, laughter and back slapping followed. It was evident to Vin that everyone was happy to see the Spaniard again, especially his lover.

"Okay, everyone in the conference room," Larabee announced. Chairs scraped the floor, mugs were filled and the men filed into the large room and sat down in their regular places.

"I'll just turn this over to Raph, since this is his party." Larabee smiled.

de Martinez leaned forward, arms resting on the table and said, "There's been a kidnapping in the Philipines. An American family...noncombatants...was snatched off the beach of a resort in Cebu. They were vacationing at the Hotel Costabella on Mactan Island and decided to take a boat out for a day trip to a small isle to play and picnic on the beach. When they failed to return, the resort managers notified the Philipine Army. A search turned up the deserted boat, some picnic supplies and nothing more. That was three months ago. It was generally believed that, maybe, there had been an accident and the family had drowned, but for the time being they were just listed as missing. We know there is a terrorist group, Abu Sayyaf, operating in that area. A week ago, a ransom note turned up at the American Embassy in Manila, with a picture of a current newspaper being held by Mr. Potter and a voice recording of the family. We are going in to rescue this family..."

"I thought the United States doesn't negotiate with terrorist's," Josiah interrupted.

"We don't! And I didn't say we were negotiating, I said we were going in to rescue this family. You guys are going to be backup for SEAL Team Eight."

Buck spoke up, "Our old team." Looking at Larabee, he quipped, "Wonder who the LT. is now?"

Larabee shrugged. "I heard they have a new CO, but I'm sure they're still a crack team."

Nathan asked the question on all their minds, "What's the plan and when do we leave?"

Raphael continued, "We'll fly to Manila and on to Samar. We'll spend the day there, out of sight. It wouldn't be good if the locals start asking why there's a bunch of Americans camping on their doorstep. After dark we'll go on to Dinaget Island.

The Potter's are being held on Leyte Isle. The SEAL's will come ashore on Leyte Island around 10:00 pm, rescue the family and bring them to Dinaget Island. Your job will be to secure the beach area on Dinaget and clear a place for the chopper to land. We'll extract you and the Potters from there. We're leaving in five days." He looked at Chris, "That'll give you time to meet with Lt. Parker. There won't be time to have any practice runs, though. You'll both have your own jobs, but you won't be interacting with each other. Questions?"

There was a general shake of heads but, Nathan pressed on, "So we'll leave on Friday?"

"Yes," Raphael nodded.

JD looked around, "What kinds of communications equipment are we gonna need?"

Chris answered, "JD, you and I will sit down later this week and talk about that. I'll know more after I talk to Lt. Parker. If you guys have no more questions, let's head back to our desks. We'll have another meeting on Wednesday morning."

"Larabee, I'd like for you to stay so we can talk further," de Martinez requested.

Larabee nodded as the men filed out and back to their desks. When the two men were alone, Raphael smiled. "Senor, What do you say I come by your place later this evening. We can take up where we left off."

"Aren't you still married?" Larabee laughed.

"Nada, we split up soon after we moved to Washington D.C. Right after the baby was born. Of course, it wasn't mine, but I loved the little twerp. They get under your skin, si?"

"Yes, they do," he smiled, "I'm sorry it didn't last, but Vin and I are together now. We have been for awhile."

"Ah yeah, Vin. So young and fresh looking. Do you think he'd agree to a threesome?" He ask, grinning lecherously at Larabee.

"No, he wouldn't!" Chris answered sharply. "Is that all?" he looked at Raphael.

"I have set this appointment for you to meet with Lt. Parker wednesday at the base. He said he was looking forward to meeting you." He finished, handing Larabee a card.

They left the conference room together setting a time on Thursday to meet up again with final plans.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wednesday morning Vin was practicing his Tai-Chi on the beach. Larabee had left for work earlier and Tanner was left with a list of supplies to pick up for the upcoming job.

Raphael watched from the porch as the sharpshooter performed the graceful moves. He allowed his imagnation to run wild as he watched.

Tanner finished his routine, completed his cool down moves and started towards the house. Surprised and feeling vulnerable as he neared the stairs, de Martinez rose to his feet and waited for Vin.

"Lar'bee ain't here, he's meetin' with the CO of team 8 this mornin'," The sharpshooter informed him.

"I know, it was you I wanted to see."

Tanner stopped in his tracks, "I don't know what I can help you with. Chris is got all the plans with him."

Raph, smiled wicked, "I was wondering, did you know that Senor Larabee and I were...an item... if you will?"

Vin stared at him dubiously.

"I see he has not shared that little bit of information with you. We were quite brazen and shameless during sex. Both of us fighting for dominance and not afraid to use that power to our own gratification." Raphael smiled a honeyed smirk. "Tell me, Senor," he asked quietly, "How would you like to feel a riding crop laid across your tender skin? Your body sandwiched between mine and your lover's." He reached out to touch Vin's shoulder. Tanner stepped back, a look of horror on his face. "I see you are not aquainted with such tactics. Perhaps Chris and I could introduce you to the pleasures..."

"Get your fuckin' hands away from me and get off this fuckin' beach! And don't come back unless Larabee's with you." Vin stood there shaking with rage, gasping for air, unable to breathe. He didn't dare turn his back on de Martinez, unsure of the guy's motives.

"I'm sorry Senor, I seemed to have hit a raw nerve. Now that you know Chris enjoys the rough and hard sex. I'll leave you alone. Talk to your lover, see if a threesome cannot be worked out." And with that, Raphael smiled, turned and left.

Vin felt as if he'd been sucker punched. He stood there on the beach, listening to Raphael's car as it left. In a daze, he stood for several minutes getting his breathing back under control and slowly walked to the house.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It was late Wednesday night when Larabee drove up the road that took him to his home. Home, that was the word he used to describe the place where he and Vin lived and loved. He was happy for the first time in years, content with his life and comfortable with his peers. He didn't hide who he was nor whom he lived with. His motto, if it made you uncomfortable, stay away...simple as that.

When he walked into the house, Vin was already in bed. Chris leaned over the bed, kissed his lover on the forehead and ask, "You awake?"

"Yeah," he answered, but didn't move.

Chris sat on the side of the bed and started to get undressed.

"You drunk?" Vin asked.

Startled, Chris glanced over at Vin. "Buzzed maybe, I'm not drunk though. I had a few beers with the guys from my old unit. Buck and Josiah joined us. I tried to call, but you weren't answering. Why?"

"Your friend Raphael join ya?" He couldn't stop the shudder in his voice.

"No, why?" What the hell was going on with Vin? Chris was curious. It wasn't like Tanner to be jealous. They trusted each other explicitly and if they wanted to stay out, enjoy a night with old buddies, it was never a big deal. And Chris had called and left a message, so it wasn't like he was trying to sneak out, snubbing Vin.

"'Cause he was here today, that's all." He sighed heavily, "I reckon we need ta talk."

"Can it wait until tomorrow, pard? I'm tired, it's been a long day and sleep sounds real good about now." Chris lay down next to his partner, tried to cuddle, but Tanner wrapped himself up in the blanket and rolled over away from Chris.

Larabee felt the chill coming from the other side of the bed, but his buzz felt too good to pay much attention to Vin's sulking. He grabbed the comforter from the foot of the bed and snuggled into it. Whatever was stuck up Tanner's butt, he'd find out in the morning. As he was drifting off to sleep, he vaguely remembered, Vin saying something about Raph coming out here, but he was too far into slumber to grasp the significance.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The following morning, Vin rose with the sun, made coffee, filled his mug and sat out on the steps enjoying the peace and quiet. He loved Larabee, love this place, loved his life. It was more than he'd ever dreamed he'd have, but right now, it felt like a claw had ahold of his heart. His breath hitched every once in awhile, he actually felt like crying. He hadn't felt this way since he was a little feller, trapped in a foster care system and seeing no way out. The last home he was in, however, the father figure had sat him down, more than once, and explained to him the importance of education, the military and being a good citizen. The man was a police officer, he was kind and to Vin's ears, intelligent. He gave Vin practical advice, but didn't try to bullshit him. He wished he could ask his advice on this problem, Vin smiled to himself. He supposed he could, he'd kept in touch with the family in Texas, but this was a situation only he and Larabee could fix.

Chris rolled over in bed and reached for his lover. The other side of the bed was empty and cold, so Vin had been up for awhile. Maybe he could drag Vin back to bed for some early morning excerise. He smiled. Wait a minute, he thought, was he dreaming or was Vin mad at him last night about something. Vin mad? No it couldn't be, Tanner was the most easy going person he knew. Rarely got upset and almost always rolled with the punches. Vin loved to take his coffee outside, so he'd go get him and drag him back to bed. Grinning, he got up and donned some pants.

Coffee in hand, he sat down on the step next to his lover and tried to kiss the neck he loved. The neck moved away.

"Are you mad about last night, Vin?" He asked, surprised.

"No, but your friend Raphael came by yesterday. Said you two were, you know..." Shrugging his shoulders, why was this so hard, he wondered. "He sorta implied that you two wanted ta, well you know," turning to look at Chris, "You know, the three of us, together," a slight wave of his hand between the two of them. "Said somethin' 'bout hitting me with a ridin' crop, cowboy. I cain't do that and I ain't doin' another guy with you." His voice was down to a whisper, his drawl more pronounced. "Not even fer you cowboy, I cain't do it."

Stunned, Larabee gaped, open-mouth at Vin. "Raph said what?" He finally said.

"He said you two liked it rough and you'd fight fer somethin', I don't 'member what, said ya all liked it that way...you know, nasty."

This was unbelievable, Chris thought, as he sought to explain. "Vin, what Raph and I had could not be called a relationship. I hardly remember how it even started. Yeah, it was down and dirty, but we sure didn't take a riding crop to each other. We were like two animals fighting for dominance and yeah," he looked at his lover, "I admit, I enjoyed it while it lasted, but when it was over, it was over! It was nothing like what we have. Shit pard, have I ever hurt you or even hinted at wanting to hurt you?" Chris was getting angry and seething inside. He couldn't believe his former lover would do this to him.

"No, I reckon ya haven't. Why didn't you tell me 'bout the two of you?"

"Hell Vin, I wasn't your first one. You've had other partners, have I ask you about them? I ain't ashamed of my friendship with Raph, but I'm not going to talk about it either. Just like I don't discuss our love life with others." Pausing, "You did ask me last night if I was with Raphael, didn't you?"

"He said ya really like the way you two did it and I reckon it scared me some cowboy," Vin confessed.

Pressing his lips together, Larabee asked, "Do you trust me Vin? Because, the way I see it, besides love, the most important thing we have is trust, If we don't have that, then we really have nothing and we may as well give it up and go our separate ways and I sure as hell don't want to do that! I love and trust you," leaning over and nuzzling that neck, "And I thought you loved and trusted me too."

"You know I do," he said leaning into that mouth on his neck. "But you shoulda been here, cowboy, he was downright frightenin'. Like a boogieman 'er something."

Chris laughed out loud, "Pard, you're an Army Sharpshooter, a Ranger, a black belt for God's sake, you could snap his neck in an instant. And you were scared?" Chris continued to chuckle.

"Hell, don't think I didn't think 'bout doin' him in, but he's your friend and I figured you might get a bit pissed if I killed him. I reckon I was looking out fer you!"

His laughter in check, the blond looked at his lover and said seriously. "I'm sorry Vin, I'll talk to Raph. He won't be bothering us again..." Larabee's phone rang. "Shit, it's in the house," he said, rising from the step.

Vin followed him in and listen as Chris said "Okay," paused, said "Okay," again, then, "Well be there!" and hung up.

Looking at his partner, Chris said, "The time lines been changed, we leave in four hours. Come on, let's get our stuff." And putting his arm around Vin, pulled him close and kissed him passionately. "I love you, don't ever forget that."

"I won't and if you want to try that fightin' stuff, well.." he hedged, "No promises, but I'll try." Vin whispered. Returning the passionate kiss.

"I don't, pard. If I did, you'd already know about it. I like us the way we are. Okay?"

"Okay, hmm, we got time?" As the heat rose between them.

"No, but let's take the time. They won't leave without us." And the two made their way back to the bedroom.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Once they arrived at the departing area, there was a controlled flurry of activity. Then after what seemed like hours they were finally on their way. Raphael had arranged for them to travel on the agency's Gulfstream Long Range V Jet.

The plane set down in Manila, then made the short hop to Samar Island. They left the plane, watched it depart and spread out. It was nearing dawn and the sounds of the jungle were all around them. It was actually music to their ears, each man knowing any change in that sound could mean trouble. And even though they were well out of the combat zone, everyone was watchful and diligent about their surroundings.

Quietly, the men made their way towards the deserted mansion, owned by a Japanese businessman. The house was a vacation residence that was locked up tight. They silenced the alarm, jimmied the locks and in no time was inside the house, where they would spend the day, quartered out of sight of the locals. Half the men would sleep, the other half stood guard. At noon they reversed the order. Each man carried an MP-10 suppressed submachine gun.

At dusk, they helped each other apply camouflage greasepaint to mask their faces, cleaned up the area so their presence would go undetected and headed for the pickup point.

"The chopper's on it's way," Vin informed them. Although Chris hadn't heard anything himself, he never doubted Vin's hearing. The blond nodded. Twenty seconds later, Larabee heard the unmistakable thumping noise of the Pave-Hawk Helicopter.

It landed close by, the men boarded and the chopper took off. de Martinez handed the pilot a piece of paper with the GPS co-ordinates on it and said, " Bring us in low, just above the canopy. We'll fast rope down." The pilot nodded, punched in the numbers as the men buckled themselves in for a wild ride.

The chopper streaked across the moonlit waters of the Leyte Gulf and over to Dinaget Island.

The pilot signaled it was time, so Raphael and Larabee opened the side door, the men lined up, their feet dangling, connected to a harness in case the pilot had to do any evasive manuvering. Tanner's heart quickened. He'd gone through this drill a hundred times, at least. It was not something to be done half-assed. It was a task that required great care and focus. Each man had their night-vision goggles and their guns ready.

To divert any suspension of the noise, the Captain of the US Naval Aircraft Carrier sitting in the Philippine Sea had been instructed to fly over the Islands periodically during the night.

The minute Larabee and Raphael heard the 'go' signal, the men one by one, threw the thick rope out the door and launched themselves out into the night. They pulled the rope close to their bodies, loosened their grip and dropped like a rock for the first thirty feet, then put the clamps on and slowed their descent.

Vin's combat boots broke the surface of a stream as he landed in knee-deep water. Next came Buck, then Nathan. The others landed, raising their MP-10's up and sweeping the banks of the stream. Each man reported quietly, through their mouth piece, that they were clear. Larabee felt easier knowing his team was safely down.

The chopper started it's climb back towards the ocean and the carrier. The entire insertion had taken less than five minutes.

The team made their way out of the water and quietly walked through the jungle. The NVG's showing them the way through the dense dark undergrowth. They weren't far from the beach they were to secure, but the jungle was so thick it would be harder to clear the landing area.

They could hear talking somewhere close by and the team silently dropped to their bellies. Vin, Ezra and Chris crawled stealthy through the jungle to an opening, where they spied three men standing by a small bridge that presumably covered the same body of water they had landed in. Thunder clapped above them and the three men looked to the sky, but continued conversing in spanish.

Vin and Ezra translated to Chris what the three sentries were saying. The men were from a splinter group of guerrilla's connected to the terrorist sect Abu Sayyaf. They had orders to make camp before the coming storm broke. The guards finished their cigars and started breaking ground to place tents around the perimeter. The three men dared not move, because the guerrilla's were so close to them, once Larabee could have reached out and grabbed one of their ankles.

After what seemed an eternity, but was closer to a half hour, the tents were erected. Vin leaned close to Chris and informed him that someone else was coming through the jungle, making no attempt to be quiet. Peeking out from their hiding place, they could see several more terrorists making their way through the dense undergrowth. While they were listening and watching the guerrillas tramp through the jungle, they stared in disbelief as the Potter family passed in front of them. They looked dirty, malnourished and dejected. They had been tied to each other by a sagging line of rope around their necks. The Mother was in front, two kids in the middle with Mr. Potter bringing up the rear, holding a small child in his arms.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As the guerilla's made camp, Buck counted twenty terrorists, but was concerned more men were on guard around the compound. Chris sent him and Nathan on a search to find out how many guards were posted. What they reported back was shocking. No one was guarding this campsite. That could only mean the Abu Sayyaf was not expecting any resistance from the Phillippine Army in this region.

Raphael had moved the men back a small distance and posted guards, but being this close to the enemy combatants, everyone was already on watch. The team was hunkered down about a half mile from where the guerillas were located. Raphael radioed the carrier informing them of their discovery of the Potter family. The ship's radioman informed them to wait for orders.

The wind had picked up and a storm was brewing over the ocean. The men hoped it would stay offshore, but the way the wind was blowing, they knew it was a futile hope.

Rain started falling, misting at first, then coming down harder. This could work in their favor as the rain concealed them.

Raphael decided to have another look around, sending Vin and Josiah. He trusted the team explicitly, but on a job like this, you couldn't be too careful.

When the two men returned, the report was the same. No guards and the terrorists were snug in their tents. The Potters were in the shelter at the far right of the encampment. Three men were guarding the family. Seven of the guerrillas were camped in one tent and ten shared the last one.

Chris was worried about Vin. He knew Tanner was capable of taking care of himself, however, there was bad blood between Raph and the sharpshooter. As far as Larabee was concerned, Raph had overstepped his bounds, but Chris had to hold his temper in check, at least until the family was rescued and the team safely back home. Then he was going to drag de Martinez out into the dunes and beat the crap outta him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ezra hated jungles. The bugs and the humidity could drain even the toughest of men. Jungles were great for concealment, but that could work both ways. Behind every tree there could be a tango lurking and to make matters worse, the storm was increasing in severity. Rain was pouring down while thunder and lightening crashed and flashed overhead.

Vin was doing another look-see and the report was the same. No guards! What kind of micky-mouse operation were they up against, he wondered. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ezra would have felt, well, almost sorry for them, if they hadn't kidnapped this innocent family and treated them so badly. Ezra cringed when he saw the frightened looks on the kids as they walked by them. He hated anyone who mistreated children.

The team had been in position for about an hour, when they received their orders. Larabee and his team were to rescue the family by any means possible and clear the area for the chopper to land. The extraction would take place in two hours, so they were told to set their watches and be ready. The pilot of the chopper would not wait for stragglers. The storm was worsening.

It had been pure luck that the guerrillas had been seen moving the Potters. The SEAL's on Leyte Island would've been surprised not to find them and could have wasted time searching for the family, since the rescue was their primary mission.

Raphael and Chris called the men together and the blond told them, "We know why we're here, if you need a pep talk, you guys are in the wrong business, and I know none of you are in the wrong business." He smiled without humor. It was the smile he used just before he killed someone. Chris continued, "You know by now the plan's changed. We'll go in in three man units: Buck, Vin and Ezra take out the tent with the ten men. Raphael, Nathan and I'll rescue the hostages. Josiah, JD, you get to take care of the seven-man tent. Let's do this as quickly and quietly as we can, no one's allowed to escape. Equip your handguns with your silencers. Nathan, I want you with us, so you can check out the Potters. Make sure they're not sick or hurt. Any questions? Okay fellas, let's do this!"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chris crawled through the grass; inching forward, he left the protection of the jungle and slithered towards his destination. He was protected by the darkness and the rain. Inching closer, he passed the tent's stakes, then he was at the tent. With his 9mm Beretta in hand, he listened intently, then cautiously raised the bottom and peeked inside. Laying his head on the ground, he was rewarded with the sight of the family. One child's head was resting on her mother's lap and the boy was curled up next to her. The father was on the other side cradling the youngest on his lap. The blond now knew where everyone was and concentrated on the three tangos in the corner.

The team had advanced quietly towards the camp, heading to the area each was assigned. Everything was going well, with everyone in place, Nathan thought, when he heard a blood curdling scream from one of the children. Larabee had been spotted. Nathan grinned. He figured Chris probably looked like a monster with green and black greasepaint covering his face.

The guard watching the Potters looked up sharply, then grabbed and fired his gun in Larabee's direction. Chris fired back simultaneously and both bullets hit their mark. Larabee's shot proved fatal.

Larabee shouted, "Go! Go! Go!" into his mouthpiece and the action began. The scream had alerted the group, but most of the guerrillas, lulled by the rain, were dozing. Vin, Buck and Ezra entered the tent as one, raising their MP-10's, swept the room, shooting the men within. The terrorists caught entirely by surprise, started to reach for their guns, but it was too late. Their security was non-existent, no guards had been posted so the take down was easy. There was a short fire fight, but the guerrillas were woefully unprepared to go up against a crack unit, and it was over in minutes with all the terrorists killed.

Josiah, Vin and Buck counted bodies, making sure no one had escaped into the jungle to bring back reinforcements.

Chris felt the bullet rip through his thigh and graze his calf. The searing pain caused him to gasp. Aware he had killed his mark, he watched as Raphael and Nathan entered the tent, taking out the other two. The pain was so intense, he was unable to do more than lay there, bleeding from his wounds.

The Potters lay huddled on the far side of the tent, frightened, and wondering who was taking over their capitivy.

Larabee crawled from underneath the tent to the inside and tried to reassure the kids, "It's okay, we're Americans," putting his hand out in a placating gesture. "It's okay, we're not going to hurt you, we're here to take you home." Gasping in pain and struggling to sit up, he reached for one of the kids, who immediatly moved closer to her dad.

David Potter looked at him, "Who are you?" he asked holding his child tight.

"We're here with the Navy SEALs," Larabee said in a quiet voice. Remembering the greasepaint on his face, he smiled at the little girl. "It's paint," he explained and wiped some of it off, showing her his fingers. And for the first time, she smiled back.

Raphael was all business, "Gather your things and let's go." He said to Mr. Potter. "We have a chopper coming for us in about an hour."

Nathan was checking the family, asking if they were sick or had any injuries, when he noticed that Larabee hadn't moved off the ground. "You all right there, boss," he asked.

"I think I caught one in my leg. It hurts like a sonofa...," glancing at the kids, who was watching him, then he amended, "It hurts a lot." Nathan chuckled and moved towards his leader. "Let's take a look at it, Boss." Blood had completely covered the right limb and the medic was immediately concerned about the seriousness of the wound. He took some scissors and began cutting away the pant leg. "The family okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, they're suffering from bugbites, sunburn, scrapes and scratches. Mrs. Potter said they weren't hurt anywhere. The docs on the carrier will check 'em out more thoroughly. Damn Chris..," he exclaimed as he examined the wound, "Ya really done it this time."

Outside, JD, Ezra and Josiah was digging shallow graves and covering up any evidence they had been there. The rest of the group was clearing a place for the chopper to land.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Raphael made his way back to the encampment. The clearing for the chopper had been accomplished with a signal beacon placed. The rain was coming down in sheets, but the wind continued to cooperate. Raph was still concerned about a chopper flying in this storm, although he'd been assured the big Sea Stallion would have no problems. He was heading back to let the others know everything was set and hurry them along. In fifteen minutes they would be airlifted out of here.

As he moved along, he mused over Larabee and Tanner's relationship. He still couldn't believe that the two men were in love. Men like them didn't fall in love with other men. They might enjoy a sexual thing, but when one married, it was to a woman. He had found himself feeling much more than he should for Larabee. That was the primary reason he had scooted on back to his wife when the opportunity was given. Chris hadn't exactly been heartbroken either. His parting 'good luck' hadn't held any pleas for him to stay! So what was it about Tanner that had captured Larabee's heart? Sure, he had a great body and a beautiful face, for a man, but the guy said less that five words in a sentence and usually answered him with a grunt. When he first met Tanner, he had thought he was slow or backward. Raph shook his head in wonderment. Vin had more than proven himself on this mission, and apparently on other missions as well. It was clear Larabee didn't have to take care of the man, so what was the appeal. Raphael shook his head, he couldn't figure it out.

As he entered the camp, everyone appeared to be ready to depart, but where was Larabee. Josiah answered his query.

"The boss's been hit. Nate gave 'im somethin' for the pain and right now he's restin' in the tent," and led the way. As they entered the shelter, the Potters three year old, Amelia, held Larabee's hand in a comforting gesture, patting his arm every few minutes.

When Raphael and Josiah entered, Nathan looked up and asked, "We ready?"

Gloria Potter gathered her children and headed outside as Nathan and Josiah raised Chris to his feet. Each man held an arm over their shoulders. He gasped sharply as pain rocketed through his body and hit his brain. "God damn!" he hissed. Everyone moved stealthy through the jungle, following the path that had been cleared. As if by a miracle, the rain let up as the group headed to the rendezvous point.

Gloria Potter let out a sob as she was helped aboard the chopper, her husband handed her the baby and scrambled on. Vin picked up their daughter, six-year-old Katy and handed her to her father, but eight-year-old David, Jr. climbed on with the help of a Navy Seaman. The team followed suite and the chopper took off, taking the Potters and rescuers to the relative safety of the U.S. Carrier.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Once Vin handed little Katy Potter to her father, he looked around for Chris. His breath caught in his throat when he saw his two buddies helping his lover. They were slowly approaching the chopper and two seaman jumped down and took the wounded man from them.

"What happened?" Tanner gasped out as Josiah laid a hand on his shoulder.

"He caught one in the leg, son. Nathan gave him something for the pain, so he's a little out of it. I'm sure he's gonna be fine." Josiah explained in his most soothing voice.

"Everybody in, we're leaving!" The seaman yelled, trying to be heard above the thumping of the chopper's blades and the storm, which had picked up in ferocity. The rain was coming down harder and the wind was starting to pick up. Everyone scrambled aboard, buckled themselves in and the big bird took off. Larabee lay on a stretcher attended by Nathan and the Navy Corpsman. Vin tried to get close to Larabee, but Nate told him to sit down and let them do their job.

As the wind buffetted the large Sea Stallion, the men inside were given a hellish ride. In what seemed like hours, but was only thirty minutes or so, the chopper sat down on the Aircraft Carrier and after being secured, the doors were opened. A crowd of Navy Seaman were there to greet the Chopper. As Larabee was removed first, to be taken to sick bay, a cheer went up among them. When Mrs. Potter appeared in the portal the cheers continued. Gloria, knowing her ordeal was almost over, wept openly as she was helped by several seaman who sprang forward to offer their assistance. The children came next and again were assisted by several sailors, one of whom placed his hat on David Jr's head.

The Captain welcomed them aboard ship with kind words making the family feel safe. His XO escorted them to the Officers Mess Hall where they were fed. Later they were allowed to take showers and dry clean clothes were found for them. There were no provisions for children onboard, but many sailors donated t-shirts, boxer shorts and belts to be fitted for the kids. The team was also escorted, amid cheers, to the Officers Mess. They shared the hot meal with the Potters, given dry clothes and allowed to take showers. It was a proud day for all!

The following day, Buck and Vin made their way towards sick bay. Being ex-navy, Buck knew his way around the ship, so Vin merely followed his friend. Larabee lay in a small cubicle, his right leg wrapped in a heavy bandage and elevated. Vin smiled in relief and gave Chris's left foot an affectionate shake. Buck spoke first, "Hey stud, how're you doing?"

Grinning, he answered, "Great! Whatever these people gave me, I wanna take home," he joked, "I guess I won't be seeing you fellas until tomorrow. They're getting ready to ship me and a couple of others back home."

Vin spoke up, "Yeah, we'll be shipping out sometime today headin' for home, too. Reckon it might be the same flight?" He asked hopefully.

"Probably not, I think this one is for injured personnel, pard," Chris answered.

A doctor stepped into the cubicle. "Hello, I'm Dr. Fraser, it's nice to meet you gentlemen." He shook hands with them, his Captain's Bars shining. "You fellas are heroes and should be given a parade. Unfortunately, no one will ever know about your heroism. I'm just proud I could shake your hands." While shaking Vin's hand the doctor smiled and said, "And don't worry son, we won't hold it against you that you were Army."

Vin grinned answering, "'preciate it, Sir. We were just doing our job."

Motioning towards Larabee, Vin continued, "How are the Potters and this one doin'?"

Looking at Larabee, who nodded, the doctor said, "Well we had to put in a few stitches to close the wound on the calf. The bullet was a through and through in the upper part of the thigh." Pausing, he continued, "I guess he's already told you he's going home. He'll be airlifted to Manila, catch a medical transport to San Diego and the hospital at Coronado. The Potters are a different matter. They're doing as well as can be expected. The Ship is headed home and they'll be staying with us, at least until we get to Pearl. This ordeal will have a lasting effect on all of them." Smiling, "I'm sorry I have to ask you fellas to leave now, we need to get these men prepared for their flight."

"Okay doc, you're the boss! See ya at home Chris," Buck nodded and clapped Larabee's shoulder.

Vin looked a more subdued, "See ya cowboy," rubbing Chris's left leg affectionately as he turned to leave the tiny room.

Larabee grinned. "You fellas have a good trip and I'll see you at home."

Several hours later, the team left the Manila airport on an Navy transport headed for the States.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Vin slept or tried to most of the way home. The plane landed around dawn, so Vin had time to go home, shower, shave and get a few hours rest before heading to the hospital. Since they had driven to the airfield together, he climbed into Larabee's truck for the short ride home.

He woke to the ringing of the phone. His mind fuzzy, he opened one eye and checked the clock. Shocked, he couldn't believe the time read 11:00 am. He was surprised it was so late in the morning. The telephone quit ringing just as he picked it up and answered with a sleepy "Yeah?" All he heard was a dialtone. Checking the caller ID, he muttered "Shit!", sitting up in bed as he hit the redial.

"Finally awake, huh?" Larabee answered.

Vin smiled, "Yeah, sorry cowboy, guess I was more tired than I thought. I'll be over to see you in less 'n an hour." He started for the bathroom.

"Look pard, bring me some clothes, I'm bein' released this afternoon. Ezra's Jag will be easier for me to get in an out of, so he's gonna drive me home. The other's are coming out too, so take some steaks outta the freezer. Ya mind?"

"No, I'm good with that. I reckon you'll want sweats, with that leg. You want I should cut 'em up the side?"

"Yes and yes on both counts. I'm in room H425. Oh, the doc's here." Larabee finished and hung up.

Vin quickly finished his morning ablution's and started getting dressed. Grabbing a canvas bag, he picked out clothes and a pair of Reeboks for his lover. Taking the sweatpants to the kitchen, he cut a seam up the side and secured them at the bottom with a large safety pin, adding them to the bag. Checking he had his wallet and cell with him, he headed out the door to the new garage, jumped in his Jeep and headed to the hospital over on the Naval Base.

As he headed up the road, Vin wondered what new addition Larabee would want to make to the growing house. After every mission, Chris would add a room or a new part. The last thing they'd built had been the three car garage. It was big enough for the large truck, Vin's Jeep, their sand buggy and a workshop.

When he arrived at Larabee's room, the nurse had just finished changing the dressing on the leg. Patting him on the shoulder she smiled. "Okay, Mr. Larabee, it looks like your ride is here. I'll get the discharge papers your doctor signed." Her smile included Vin as she was leaving.

"Ezra here?" Vin asked.

"Not yet, the others are going straight to the house. You sure you don't mind? It's been awhile since we've been alone," he said, glancing at Vin.

"Hell no, cowboy, I don't mind," grinning, he continued, "It's gonna be a few days 'fore we can do anything anyway. I know that has ta hurt like hell." He nodded at the bandaged leg.

"God, you just don't know!" His lover said, gasping in pain as he moved to the edge of the bed.

Using his crutches, the blond grabbed the bag and headed for the bathroom to change.

"Need any help?" Vin inquired.

"I might, so stay close," came the terse answer.

After Chris dressed, Vin helped him with his sneakers. He pinned the pant leg shut just below the knee so the cloth wouldn't flap around the crutches.

Ezra, Chris and Vin arrived at the beach house at the same time. Josiah had the barbeque pit fired up and was seasoning the steaks. Buck and JD had potatos and cob-corn already on the grill. Nathan was making a salad, so lunch was well on the way to being ready.

When Vin and Chris had added the back porch a few years back, they also enlarged a small patio that sat mostly unused on the side of the house. After making the concrete slab larger, the two added a wooden picnic table, barbeque and firepit. Now the patio area was in constant use by the men.

The team sat around the big picnic table, eating. Buck was the first to ask, "Chris, what happened out there?"

Taking his time to answer, he pursed his mouth, thought about it, then said, "I'm not sure. When I lifted the bottom of the tent, I was sure she was asleep, but when she saw me her eyes popped open along with her mouth. I never figured on her screaming like that."

Vin took up the conversation, "Was the guard cleaning his gun?"

"No, it was lying next to him. I'm guessing he was trying to scare the kids or the parents by leaving it out. You know those bastards held guns to the parents' heads and threatened to shoot them. They even put guns to those kids' heads a few times. I guess trying to keep them in line. But he was quick, just scooped that gun up and fired. He and I fired at the same time. I don't think he really saw me, but the baby was pointing and he just shot in that direction. Other than me, everything else went like it should though. Good job out there guys. Did Raphael come back with you?"

Josiah spoke up, "No, he stayed with the family. He said the Phillippine Government was a bit perturbed that we invaded their sovereignty without permission to secure the release of the Potters. But, it seems they really do denounce terrorism. Once they finished with the huffing and puffing and the U.S. apologized, they actually thanked us. The U.S. still wants to question David and Gloria further. There's some concerns that the family may still be in danger."

Buck spoke up, "I can...maybe... understand them taking combatants, diplomats and such, but them kids were babies, and the Potters were from the Midwest, on vacation, for christ's sakes! I don't condone it, by any means, but them takin' combatants, that would make much more sense to me. David told me, he and Gloria had saved for that vacation for years. It was a ten year anniversary gift to each other."

"One they will never forget," Ezra added.

Buck went on, "They never once considered the Phillippines to be a dangerous place. David and Gloria both said they asked if it was safe to go to the little Island to swim and picnic for the day and the hotel concierge assured them it was safe."

JD was curious, "You think they'll hafta go in witness protection? I mean, won't the terrorists be mad 'cause we beat them?"

Ezra answered, "Probably not, JD. It really depends on what and whom they seen while in captivity, but I'm equally sure it will be awhile before they can return home and to a normal life again, if ever."

Nathan advised, "The whole family will be in counselling for a good long time. I think a brother is running their business. I'm sure everyone thought they were dead. Raphael said their relatives had been notified they had been rescued and would be in touch as soon as possible."

"I reckon it'll be awhile 'fore we go out again." Vin stated the obvious, glancing at Larabee.

Chris reached for his crutches. "I'm tired guys, you go on and party, I'm going to take a nap. Vin, when my Dad calls, tell him and Lydia to come on out." And with that, he shuffled into the house.

After lunch was over and everything tidied up, the team, except for Vin, took the party to Inez's cantina. Walking into the bedroom, Vin joined Chris on the bed, snuggling next to his lover, he decided he could use some rest also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It was late in the evening that Chris bade Adam and Lydia goodbye. Vin was relaxed on the glider on the front porch, watching the waves roll on to the shore. He could hear the crutches thumping back through the house and Chris appeared in the doorway. He left the crutches leaning against the doorway and gingerly made his way to where Vin was sitting, sat and then lay down, leaving one foot on the floor and one foot stretched over the cushions, resting his head on Vin's lap.

Tanner carded his hand through his lover's hair and lay his other on Chris's chest. "Your dad finally gone?" He ask.

"Yeah, he and Lydia were concerned about my leg, wants us to quit going on these ops." He put his hand on top of Vin's hand and gently massaged it.

"You mean, he wants you to quit going," he grinned.

Larabee glared at Vin, "Hey you, you know he accepts us. When he says me he means us." Chris explained, then also grinned. "Okay, I'm pretty sure he does."

Vin laughed, "It don't matter Chris, I know he's cool with the situation. Will ya look at those clouds out there."

They watched with fascination at the storm taking place several miles out at sea.

"Looks like the storm we left in the Phillippines is headed this way. We'll get rain 'fore mornin'." Vin guessed. "So what do you think about us quittin'?"

"Hell Vin, I'm not sure. When I was trying to stem the blood leaking all over the damned mud in that camp, I remember thinking, I'm too fuckin' old for this, but now, I'm just not sure." Chris paused, "Although I think I could be just as happy supervising the salvage jobs we have going. And business has been good. What about you, what do you think?"

Vin thought for a few minutes, "I don't rightly know Chris. I'd like ta think we've done some good, but a couple of times it's been a real goatfuck. But saving the Potters, now that was good!" Grinning, "But I hope you don't intend to add another room to your house." He laughed.

"Our house," Chris corrected, "And you know what I was thinking about?"

"There ain't no tellin'." Vin bent over and kissed Larabee on the forehead.

"Television!" Chris pulled Vin back down and their mouths met in a chaste kiss.

"Television?" Vin was surprised. When the guys came out, they always complained about not being able to watch the games. "Your thinkin' 'bout getting a satellite?"

"Yeah, and a big Plasma TV. What'll ya think, pard? You want to be able to watch the baseball games? How about hockey, even football on sundays. And recliners to relax in while we're watching!" Chris was very excited at the prospect.

Vin laughed again, "Sure cowboy, but I'm sure I remember you saying you'd never get a TV for this house. And now recliners even, what's next?" Vin was still chuckling.

"How about a little more one on one time for us?" Rising up from the glider, he suggested, "Why don't we take this to the bedroom, where we can discuss it more thoroughly."

"Sounds good to me, cowboy." Vin rose, handed Chris his crutches and followed him into their home.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Epilogue:

Close to a month later on a Sunday afternoon, the team sat in the living room enjoying a rousing game of baseball between the Padres and the Colorado Rockies. The Padres were ahead by six runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, but no one was celebrating yet. The game could still go either way.

Chris sat in his new recliner, legs stretched out, his feet laying on the footrest. Buck occupied the second one, while Vin made himself comfortable in his usual spot on the floor. Chris had had his stitches removed from his calf a few weeks before and everything was looking good. He was able to walk longer distances every day on the beach, but running was not yet an option. Everyday he felt the muscles in his leg getting stronger. Vin had offered to walk with him, but the blond refused, telling Vin to finish his run.

Raphael had called to let him know that he and the Potter Family had returned to Washington, D.C.. Eventually they would head back home to Wisconsin and their life there. That was the plan, anyway.

After talking to the others and their handler, Frank Corcoran, Chris had decided to be a little more selective in any missions they might undertake in the future. Rescuing the family had left everyone feeling good and proud of themselves, but there had been jobs they'd been recruited to do that had left a bad taste in their mouth. Of course, it would be awhile before he was able to go out again and that suited the others just fine. He dozed off, secure in the knowledge that all was good in his world.

END