PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Rafe stands trial for shooting Mary and other transgressions
1 Elisabeth


Mary saw the look of fear in the Elisabeth's eyes as she watched her husband leave. The woman had been used to being alone in strange places. She had followed her husband all these years. She couldn't remember a time when she wasn't afraid. Since arriving at Four Corners she hadn't said a word. Mary gazed at her with compassion. She slowly sat down next to her and touched her hands.

Elisabeth pulled back and then looked down, ashamed at what she had done. "I'm sorry" she said in a voice barely above a whisper.

"It's all right" Mary responded. "You must be hungry after that long trip. Would you like something?" she asked the timid woman.

"Coffee?" she asked in the same quiet voice.

"Of course and how about some eggs" Mary said as she went about the kitchen using one hand.

Elisabeth started to come out of it and offered to help.

Mary poured the coffee in the cups on the table and smiled as the older woman busied herself with the task of cooking eggs. "You and I have something in common" she said.

Mary slowly got up and went toward her to show the scar that was beginning to heal on her chest.

Elisabeth took a step back and put her hand to her mouth to cover a silent scream. She looked at Mary with fear in her eyes and whispered "He did that to you too?"

Mary went to touch her. This time she didn't shy away. Tears started to stream down her face as silent sobs wracked the older woman's body. Oblivious to the eggs now burning on the stove, she sank to the floor.

Mary tried to soothe the woman. "Shush now it's o.k. Would you like me to get your husband? Is there anything I can do to help? she asked.

"No. I haven't told him it was Rafe. I don't know how to tell him" she replied.

"Will you tell me what happened?" Mary asked soothingly. She got the woman off the floor and into a kitchen chair. She poured two cups of hot coffee and sat next to her.

"I'll try" she said as her voice got stronger. "Richard had to go to Washington to discuss Indian affairs with the Secretary of Interior. He left me at the Fort and I was so lonely. Rafe was stationed there and he was so tall and handsome. He actually listened to me and I was drawn toward him. In the days that followed it was as if he was wooing me. We got to the point where he almost kissed me, but I pulled back. I couldn't betray Richard. I wasn't sure how Rafe reacted. He seemed o.k. but I just wasn't sure and I felt so guilty. I went riding near the Fort as was my custom. Something made me look up. I saw Rafe pointing a rifle at me. I got scared and urged my horse on, but he hit me in the chest. I rode into the Fort and he was there acting as if he hadn't done it. I passed out and when I woke Richard was there telling me that Rafe had saved my life." she paused and seeing the look of concern on Mary's tear stained face continued. "I didn't remember at first. Rafe had told the regiment that it was some renegade Indian. By the time I remembered he was mustered out. Who would believe me after all this time?"

"I would. Chris and I have been looking into Rafe's background and we think we can link him to nine murders in the years since he got out of the army. We just don't have the proof and the trial starts in a few hours. That's why we sent for you and your husband. I read the telegram he sent and learned about your scar. I knew it had to be Rafe" Mary said and added "Will you testify against him?"

"Nine other women? Murdered? My Lord how can that be? How was I so blind? How can I possibly tell Richard? Do you think he'll be able to forgive me? I'm so damned tired of being scared. I'm afraid of losing him" she replied.

"Please you have to do this if only for yourself. I've seen the way Richard looks at you. He'd do anything for you. It might be a way to put the past behind you and I'll be with you every moment" Mary said.

"Thank you for your kindness" Elisabeth gratefully acknowledged.

Mary nodded and went to check on her son who was still fast asleep.



2 two hours before the trial


Chris and his commanding officer were sitting outside the sheriff's office with their second cups of coffee.

"Chris it's been great seeing you but I still don't know why I'm here."

"Mary got shot by Rafe Stewart. I was there when it happened and I think he's done it before. Mary and I started digging into his past and found nine women who were murdered when he was in their vicinity. Who knows how many others can be linked to him. The problem is we don't have proof. When Mary read your telegram she knew it had to be Rafe who shot your wife" Chris replied.

"But how can she be so sure? Rafe said a renegade had shot Elisabeth. When I got back from Washington, they weren't sure if she'd survive. It was my responsibility to keep her safe. I brought her out here and while I was away she got shot. Do you know that not once in my time in the Army have I ever been shot? Not once Chris" the Major said.

"That's something to be commended sir" Chris replied. He got up took the mugs and placed them on the desk in the sheriff's office.

"We've got some time before the trial. How about some breakfast with Mary and your wife sir?" Chris asked.

"Excellent suggestion son" the Major replied.

As they went through the back door of the Clarion, they were confronted with the smell of burnt eggs. The two women were talking at the table.

Elisabeth smiled at her husband and spoke first "Hi Richard would you like something to eat before the trial starts?"

Richard was surprised by her demeanor and returned the smile. "As long as it isn't burnt eggs" he said and he looked at her quizzically. "Are you all right?" he asked.

"Never better, but there's something I need to tell you and I hope you can forgive me. Rafe was the one who shot me when you were in Washington."

"I don't understand. Why didn't you tell me sooner? Is this why you've been afraid all these years?" he asked.

"By the time I remembered Rafe was mustered out and I was so scared you wouldn't love me anymore. When I met Mary and saw that he had done the same thing, I couldn't deny it any longer. I'm so tired of being afraid. I want to put this past us. Please say you forgive me."

He nodded with tears in his eyes as he went over to her and saw her tears as well. He gathered her in his arms and they embraced each other. "I have you back. I finally have you back" he said as he held her close. They were oblivious to Chris taking Mary out the back door.

"Let's give them some privacy" he whispered in Mary's ear.

She smiled and nodded. As they walked down the street Mary spoke. "I can see why you admire him Chris. If you can trust my opinion as of late, he seems like a fine man."

Chris laughed at that and said "I don't know Mrs. Travis your taste in men is somewhat questionable especially when it comes to the bad elements in this town" reminding her of the first time they met in Four Corners. He wrapped an arm around her and smiled.

"Some men are just worth a second look" she said returning the smile.

"And some women are worth a third a fourth and even a fifth" he said with a gleam in his eye. She laughed at that as they walked toward the boarding house for breakfast.


3 one day after the trial


Judge Berger packed his belongings and got ready to catch the stage headed north. The trial was a bench trial without need for a jury. He thought this made it more impartial. He still found the man guilty in part because of a surprise witness.

Elisabeth Anderson was the wife of Major Anderson a decorated war soldier. Her testimony started out shaky at first, but once she got the details down, she got more assured. Whenever she was unsure, she looked at her husband or Mary Travis.

Mary Travis' testimony was confirmed by Chris Larabee. Their testimony put the final touches on the case against Rafe Stewart.

He was sentenced to die two days from now. Judge Berger trusted the sentence would be carried out by Orrin Travis and Sheriff J.D. Dunne. Judge Berger was needed up north and he looked forward to getting back home.

Chris hated seeing his C.O. leave, but he was grateful that he came. "Thank you for all your help sir" he said as he saw the man and his wife off.

"It is I who should be thanking you and Mrs. Travis. Between the two of you I have my wife back" he said with a smile.

Elisabeth added "She's a fine woman Lieutenant. I wouldn't let her get away if I were you."

Major Anderson signaled the team and with one last nod at a blushing Chris Larabee headed out of Four Corners.

Chris watched as the wagon went off in the distance and gave it some serious thought. He would never forget waiting in Nathan's clinic for Mary to awaken, but it was too soon for something more in their relationship.


4 the hanging



Rafe stood in his cell the morning the execution was to take place. He was still shocked at the surprise witness of Elisabeth Anderson. It wasn't the fact that she was alive but that she actually recounted the tale in front of her husband. After all these years he had been happy with the knowledge of what he had done to her. He thought she had posed no threat.

Vin Tanner and J.D. Dunne stood waiting for word. It was their responsibility to take him to the gallows. Rafe was not in the least bit worried. He'd been in tighter spots than this and he waited.

All he needed to do was pick his spot. Hangings still drew a crowd and he could use this to his advantage. Vin handcuffed him in the front, and silently walked him through the office door. Upon leaving he hit Vin double fisted over the back of his head, swiped J.D. across the face, grabbed a gun from an open drawer and ran.

Chris was over by the gallows with Judge Travis and Josiah. He heard the commotion but the crowd was impossible to get through. By the time he reached Vin and J.D. it was too late. Chris was frantic.

He looked at J.D. and a said "How could you let this happen?"

Vin rubbed his head and as he sat up said "It was my fault Chris. I shoulda' cuffed him from behind. I didn't think --."

"You're damned right you didn't think. I'm sorry Vin I'm as much to blame as either of you. I know him a site more than anyone. Did you get a bead on where he was headed?" he asked.

"Dammit Chris I'm sorry. When I saw him hit Vin I just wasn't paying attention" J.D. said dejectedly while rubbing his jaw.

"We'll get a posse formed and let the surrounding areas know that he's on the loose. I just hope he doesn't kill anymore. Does he have a gun?"

Vin nodded "He got it out of the drawer. It's the old one that has a loose barrel."

"He can't have gotten far. We'll find him" Chris said, but there was an air of uncertainty in his voice. The one thing he knew for sure about Rafe was that the man had the patience of a saint whatever that was supposed to mean.


epilogue


Chris stood in front of the Clarion and took a sip of whiskey from the flask he carried. He had sent word to his folks to warn Eileen about what kind of man Rafe really was. The only trace of him was the set of unlocked handcuffs in front of the sheriff's office in Four Corners found two days after his escape. He was mocking Chris.

Chris took another sip of whiskey and admitted to himself that he was scared. He was angry that Rafe had managed to get back unnoticed while the posse was out searching for him.

His mind reeled from the scenarios going through his mind. He rubbed his eyes and slammed a fist against the nearby post.

Mary walked over to him and touched his arm. "Any luck?" she asked.

"No dammit. I underestimated him. We've got to find him. God only knows what he's doing out there. I've got to find him before he hurts someone else."

"You will Chris. I know you will" she replied.

"My God Mary if he would have--"

"But he didn't" she interrupted and continued "Because of you Billy still has me. I'm grateful Chris and I know that you will find him. I have no doubt." She touched his arm and waited.

He looked into her eyes and smiled as he took her hand and walked her toward her bedroom at the Clarion.


finis
Chapter End Notes:
Yee hoo I think I'm through