PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story is a fantasy and not a death fic. It is the story of four generations of families. Actually the story is about the 1st and 4th generation with a brief mention of the 2nd and 3rd in between. As it happens in the circle of life, one generation passes on and another is born. So while main characters do perish, (nothing graphic ) there is another Chris and Vin to take their place.

Thank you Mog for creating the ATF universe and letting us play in it. Thank you FaraD for the beta, your very good advice and suggestions along the way, and especially for keeping me focused. And big thanks go to Jo Roberts for the wonderful collage.


Present Day: August 2005

The last few months had been extremely hectic for ATF Team Seven. With three on-going cases, the team was stretched thin and working overtime to bring the criminals down and put an end to their operations. After many working hours, juggling time constraints, gathering evidence, and planning the raids, the miscreants were finally brought to justice. Three successful busts on three consecutive days brought it all to an end. All that needed to be finished was the dreaded paperwork.

It was Monday afternoon when Chris, paperwork in hand, headed for a meeting with his boss, Judge Orin Travis, Deputy Director of the ATF, Western Division.

Once the Judge finished reading the reports, he looked over at his team leader and said, "Very impressive work, Chris," he stated. "I'll be recommending your team for commendations. Meanwhile, since nothing is pressing and this is finished," he nodded at the reports, "why don't you and your team take the rest of the week off. I'll see you next Monday."

"Thank you sir, I'll let the guys know." Chris smiled as he rose from his chair and left the room.

Once Larabee informed the men of their unexpected time off, each man went about making his own plans, but they agreed to meet at Chris's ranch on Sunday for a barbeque and to watch the baseball game together.

Since it was early August, Vin and Chris decided it would be a good time to go camping. A National Park abutted the farthest edges of Larabee's property, accessible only by horseback. A phone call secured them a campsite and early on Tuesday morning, they gathered the supplies needed for five days and set out on Pony and Peso, leading a pack mule.

As they ambled along, the stress of the last few months began to fall away from Larabee's shoulders and a calm peaceful feeling descended upon him. He followed Tanner up through the pine trees and around rocky crags. It was a beautiful day, perfect for this ride, warm and sunny. Life was good and so was the view.

The view Larabee was watching happened to be Vin's posterior. The way Tanner sat a horse was amazing. He slumped a little, due to his back problems, but Vin's ass fit that saddle like it was molded to it. Larabee felt his cock begin to harden. Watching Vin was like sipping fine wine, it gave him a nice buzz and made him feel good, but he wouldn't get drunk on it. Chris wondered, not for the first time, if Vin would be interested in a more than friendly relationship.

Being with a man wasn't new for Larabee. While he had attended Northwestern University in Chicago, he'd enjoyed many sexual relationships, men and women. Right out of college, Chris joined the Navy and eventually became a Navy SEAL. Once in the teams, he met Buck and they soon became friends. For awhile, Chris and Buck enjoyed a sexual affair, but Larabee had a dark side that Buck was not interested in, and soon decided to break it off with Chris. However, the two men remained close friends.

Chris was still in the Navy when he met and married Sarah Connelly. A few years later they had a son, Adam, whom they both doted on. Tired of not being home with his family every night, Larabee decided to retire from the service. Once he was out of the Navy he secured a position with the ATF as a field agent. Since his teen years, Larabee had never been happier.

Then tragedy struck; Sarah and Adam were killed in a car bomb meant for Chris, or so everyone assumed. Drowning in his grief, Larabee went berserk and sank into the bottom of a bottle. He stayed there for several months, a bitter and angry man who fought his demons constantly. It was only through Buck's loyal friendship and determination that Chris was finally able to regain some semblance of sanity. He and Buck resumed their affair, but Larabee was out of control, so once again, the ladies' man broke it off.

The Judge introduced Larabee to his widowed daughter-in-law, Mary Travis. They dated for several months, but one evening while they were having dinner, she began talking about their future. Chris had befriended her son, Billy, and Mary felt he would make a good father for Billy. Surprised by her assumption of marriage, he quietly informed her he wasn't ready to be anyone's husband or anyone's father for that matter, and broke it off with her. He continued to date other women and laid claim to a little black book of phone numbers to rival Buck's; he just didn't talk about it.

It was around this time that Chris received his promotion to team leader of the newly-formed Team Seven. He approached Buck first and asked him to join the new team. As the team was assembled, Larabee picked only the best men he could find and relied heavily on Buck's opinion. Then Vin came along.

Larabee couldn't explain it, but when Tanner was around, he felt more relaxed, more in control of his emotions and definitely sported a calmer demeanor.

Tanner had been working as a sharpshooter for the U.S. Marshal's Office. About eight months before, during an inter-agency operation, Vin was stationed in the rafters of the warehouse, where the bust was about to go down. After Larabee shouted, "ATF, throw down your weapons," the gunrunners had tried to make a run for it. Their leader grabbed Nathan and held him hostage. Vin, using his skill as a sharpshooter was able to save Nathan's life and hold off the rest of the gang until they surrendered. Chris had been so impressed with the sharpshooter's abilities, he went straight to Travis and requested the young man be transferred to Team Seven.

Vin had been surprised, but elated when he was offered the transfer and had accepted the change immediately. The sharpshooter and his supervisor, in the Marshal's Office, had a personality conflict and didn't get along, so the change had worked out for the best. After a few months with Team Seven, Tanner began to relax and fit right in with the rest of the group, but he was especially close to Larabee right from the beginning.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

Riding along, Larabee thought he heard Tanner say something. He spurred his horse up along side Vin and looked at him quizzically. Vin, having spotted an old split-rail fence pointed to it and said, "This where your place ends?"

"Not yet." Chris answered, "There's a dry creek bed over that way," he pointed with his chin, "It's not far and it takes you right into the park."

The trail veered off in a westerly direction, but Vin's attention was still on the old fence. "That sure is an old fence, cowboy, who built it? Do you know?"

"One of my ancestors. This property is part of a land grant given to my namesake for some help he gave to a town. Sarah and I came riding out here once and followed it to an old cabin. The cabin is so old, I think it's probably the original one the first Larabee built." Larabee removed his hat and wiped the sweat off his brow and replaced his hat. "Funny thing, Sarah said the house was haunted and it gave her the creeps. She wouldn't come out here again even though I wanted to."

"How long has this property been in your family, cowboy?" Vin asked.

Chris bit his bottom lip in thought. "Right off the top of my head, I'm not sure. Probably a hundred years or more."

"What was the name of the town? I reckon it's a ghost town now." Tanner looked over at his partner.

"I don't know what the name of the town was, but it must have been over that way." Chris smiled, "I think about where Highway Seventy cuts through north of here. Rumor has it he was a gunslinger of some reputation, pretty fast with his gun." Chris grinned wickedly.

"Hmm, from a gunslinger to a federal agent is quite a stretch." Vin grinned back.

They crossed over the dry creek bridge into the park. Both men stopped to admire the beautiful mountain peaks rising before them.

"Sorta takes your breath away," Tanner breathed.

Looking at Vin, Larabee answered, "Yeah, it does, pard."

They continued on for about a mile into the park before they came upon their campsite. Looking around, both watched the mountain stream cascading by, bordered by the peaks that seem to rise up from the ground. Dismounting, they unloaded the pack mule, took care of the horses and began putting their camp together. After securing the tent and building a fire pit, Vin collected the wood they would need while Chris built a fire to cook dinner and to provide them with heat. Even though it was summer, due to the elevation, there was a cool breeze.

Once they were finished setting up their camp, Larabee sat back in a camp-chair with his book and lit a cheroot. As he smoked, Chris watched Vin fish the stream. It wasn't long before they had enough trout for dinner.

As they finished eating, the sun was just setting behind the mountain. Both men enjoyed their whiskey-laden coffee and watched the beautiful sunset, but since it had been a long day, it wasn't long before they retired for the night

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

The mist rose eerily from the ground and early morning noises could be heard from small animals scampering around. An eagle soared above calling to some unknown creature while searching for his breakfast.

Vin rose from his sleeping bag, pulled on his jeans and boots and stepped outside. During the night he'd awakened, cold, and needing to go outside. He'd searched through his duffel, found his long johns and put them on before answering nature's call. He'd slipped back into his sleeping bag leaving his long johns and socks on.

The morning temperature was still cool as Vin stretched, put on his jacket and started to build a fire for coffee.

Larabee soon emerged from the tent, yawning. He shivered, stretched, scratched his belly and after a brief nod to his partner, wandered off to take care of his own call of nature.

As the sun rose in the sky, the mist cleared and the temperature rose, warming the air. Vin was cooking breakfast when the sound of a helicopter could be heard; it then came into view, hovered, and landed. Two forest rangers emerged from the small chopper and walked towards them.

"Carl! Joe!" Chris smiled and shook hands with the two men. Vin grinned, nodded his welcome to them and added more bacon to the skillet.

"Hey guys!" said Carl, "When I saw your name on my list, we just had to stop by. Hopefully we're in time for breakfast," he joked.

"Yer just in time," Tanner invited with a grin.

"If I know Tanner, he's already caught breakfast and made his fry bread," Joe finished.

Vin laughed, "No fish, but we got bacon. Yer welcome to stay."

The sharpshooter finished cooking and served the food, while Chris poured coffee for their friends.

The four men sat around the fire, eating and discussing events of the day. Joe spoke of some of the problems the forestry guys were having, while Chris complained about the paperwork he had to contend with. About an hour later, their guests rose to leave, grousing good-naturedly about checking on inexperienced campers and hikers not yet ready for the rigors of high-mountain walking. During their goodbyes, Carl warned, "You fellas better batten down the hatches, there's a storm front coming in sometime tonight. You'll probably get rain or possibly some snow dumped on you."

"That a fact?" Vin shook his head. "Reckon we oughta put some sorta lean-to up for the horses."

"It's hard to believe, it's such a beautiful morning, but the weather can change in a heartbeat here in the mountains. If it gets too bad, we'll head back down to the valley," Larabee stated.

Vin nodded in agreement, "Yeah, this is suppose to be a fun trip, not an endurance test."

"We'll do a fly-by in a few days and check on things, but you two are experienced campers. You shouldn't run into any trouble, but if you do, you both know what to do. Hey, and thanks again for breakfast." The two rangers boarded the chopper, and took off to continue their rounds.

After their friends left, they cleaned up the area and took a hike on a marked trail. Tanner climbed a small crag, while Larabee sat at the bottom and enjoyed a smoke. Afterwards they headed back to camp and made lunch. Larabee couldn't believe how good he felt as he sat back to read. While Vin fished and tried his hand at panning for gold, Chris dozed off. As the afternoon wore on, they decided to go swimming. The water was cold, but the sun was warm on their bodies as they played and swam in the river. Clouds started to form, but the perfect weather continued to hold.

Larabee threw some foil-wrapped potatoes into the coals to bake as supper-time approached. Working together, they were able to fashion a temporary lean-to for the horses. It had been a fine day and both men felt good, but tired. Chris lit his last cheroot of the night as Vin made one last check of the animals.

As they turned in for the night, the wind picked up and the temperature began to drop.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

As the storm raged around them, Vin lay on his side huddled in his sleeping bag. He listened to the wind and rain as it pelted the tent. Lightening flashed and thunder rumbled and Vin shivered. Even though his long johns were thermal and his sleeping bag thick and soft, Vin continued to feel the cold. Seeking warmth, he scooted closer to Chris.

Vin knew Chris was straight, but he'd noticed Larabee checking him out from time to time. He'd heard of middle-aged men, for whatever reason, wanting a walk on the wild-side. Try something new, something forbidden and dangerous, just to see what it was like, but Vin was in a perilous position. He had taken great pains to stay in the closet. With his career choices of the Army Rangers and now law enforcement, it was imperative he lead a celibate life. He couldn't take any chances of someone discovering his secret.

Recently Chris had began looking at him like he was a first course for a starving man. Vin wondered if his boss had found out he was gay. Not that Vin wasn't interested. Hell, Larabee was a great-looking guy with a body sexy as hell and just begging to be explored, but being with Chris would be foolish and dangerous. Besides Chris would be ruthless if he was ever crossed.

The sharpshooter figured his boss wanted to fuck him to see what being with a man was all about, but to do that, Vin knew he'd have to keep a tight rein on his heart. He already had strong feelings for Chris.

Vin thought that if Chris wanted him, maybe he'd give in, have an affair, then act like nothing had happened when it was over. Show Larabee he wouldn't embarrass him. That way he could keep his job, his life and his friends. He knew he could play it cool, hell, he'd been doing it all his life. He sighed heavily.

"You awake, Vin?"

"Yeah," he answered, sighing again.

"You okay?"

"Just cold is all." Vin rolled over on his back, and looked over at Chris.

"You averse to sharing body heat, pard?" Larabee asked casually.

Tanner grinned, "Not tonight, I'm not."

Working together, they unzipped their sleeping bags, adjusted them together and then rezipped them to form one bag. They huddled under the top cover and Chris wrapped himself around Vin. "Shit, you are cold," Larabee whispered, drawing his partner closer and rubbing his stocking foot up and down Tanner's leg. Getting skin on skin was impossible since both men had on their thermal long johns. The blond lay on his side, cheek resting against his partner's hair, arms wrapped around the body he'd been wanting to hold for a long time.

"How's a cold-blooded West Texas boy like you end up in Colorado, anyway?"

Vin grinned, "You'll laugh if I tell ya."

Chris smiled, "No I won't, I promise."

"Well, I'd run away from the foster home where I was living. I had enough money to get to Denver. Figured I'd stop here, make some money doing odd jobs, then move on to where I was headed, but then, I met Miss Nettie She took me offa the streets, gave me a home and made me go back to school. One of the best things that ever happen to me."

"Where were you headed in the first place?" Chris asked curiously.

"Montana"

"Why?" Chris asked, surprised. "It's colder there than it is here."

"You'll laugh, cowboy." Vin chuckled at himself.

"No I won't, Vin, I promise." Larabee said with a grin.

Well, I'd heard my foster folks reading an article 'bout how they's needing cowboys in Montana to help on the dude ranches, herding cattle and such. So I figured I'd start on my life's journey by going to Montana and getting a job on one a them ranches. I could ride purty good and I figured, how hard can it be to herd cattle? Hell, ain't nothing dumber than a cow"

Larabee smiled, "How old were you?"

"Fourteen."

"Montana's a big state, pard. Where were you planning on getting this job?"

"Hadn't thought that far ahead, hell I's just a kid." Vin chuckled again, a little embarrassed. He snuggled against Larabee, his head under Chris's chin.

Chris snorted, pulling his partner closer, if that was possible. "At least you had a plan, pard. At fourteen I didn't have a clue about what I wanted to do. My dad kept telling me to knuckle down and study agriculture. He wanted me to take over the farm, but there was no way I was going to be a farmer." Larabee paused, and his hand went under Vin's shirt to touch his back.

Vin stiffened, "What're we doing here?" he asked.

"Whatever you want, pard," Chris answered huskily and nuzzled into Vin's temple.

Chris pulled back, looked Vin in the eye, then leaned forward, placing a light kiss on his mouth. He pulled back slightly, looking for doubt in his partner; finding none, he kissed Vin again, putting pressure into the kiss. Tanner opened his mouth and the blond's tongue made it's way into the warm cavern, exploring. Chris's hand pushed Vin's shirt up and latched onto a nipple. The little bud perked up and Vin shivered with delight as his partner's tongue flicked at it. After exploring each other for several minutes, they pushed their pants down to their knees and took ahold of the other's dick and rubbed them together. Larabee spread pre-cum on their hard cocks for better friction as arms wrapped around each other. Both continued caressing, kissing and nipping at the other, mouths playing while bodies were seeking fulfillment. Tanner came first, shooting cum over Larabee's body. The blond jerked as he spilled his seed on Vin. Both lay back, breathing hard, trying to suck air back into their lungs.

"Damn pard!" Larabee whispered, once he could talk again.

"I know," Vin answered with a grin.

Once he could breathe again, Vin fumbled in his duffel, which sat close by, and found his dirty t-shirt. Using that he cleaned them both off.

They pulled their long johns up, adjusted them, then spooned up against each other in a warm embrace. Chris covered them again with the top of the sleeping bag and soon both men were fast asleep.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

Thursday morning came amid a shroud of fog. The skittering noises of early morning woke Larabee. He lay watching Vin sleep and no longer able to resist, gently kissed the tousled head and snuggled closer.

When Vin opened his eyes that morning, he sensed something had changed, someone was holding him close, then he remembered what had happened. He sat straight up, stared wide-eyed at his boss and stammered. "Chris, I... I..."

Chris smiled, sitting up also, "It's all right, Vin, I wanted it too, you know," he said softly. "I've wanted to be with you for a long time now."

Vin frowned, "But I thought... I mean, you're straight and I... I ain't." There, he'd said it out loud for the first time in his life. "I don't want to lose your friendship, cowboy"

"Vin stop," Larabee leaned over and kissed him lightly. "Our friendship's solid. I wanted it too. I have feelings for you, pard, and I hoped you'd like me the same way," Larabee smiled at him.

Vin drew his knees up and considered what the blond was telling him. "I've liked you for a long time, too, cowboy, but what if..."

"No what ifs, Vin, we can make this work!" He shivered slightly, "It's really turned cold, pard, whadda you say we break camp and head back down to the valley? It's got to be a little warmer. We can follow that fence and check out the cabin. Setup a camp there. Sarah swore it was haunted, maybe we can scare up a few ghosts." He smirked at Vin and wagged his eyebrows.

Vin looked into Chris's eyes and seeing only warmth and friendship, he sighed, relaxed and nodded. Displaying a grin, he said, "Sounds good to me, cowboy. I ain't into freezing my balls off. I'll get a fire started, 'cause I'm gonna need coffee."

Once breakfast was finished, Vin made sandwiches out of the leftover cooked bacon and together they packed up the camp. After making sure the fire was out completely and the camp-site cleaned up for others, they saddled the horses and moved off towards home. The weather was cold, wet and miserable as they made their way out of the high country, but within a few hours of traveling down the mountain, the sun came out and the air began to warm.

Once they crossed the dry creek bridge onto Larabee's property, they turned the horses towards the trail where the antique split-rail fence could be found.

When Vin spotted the relic, they stopped for lunch, consuming the sandwiches Vin had made. Back on the trail, following the old fence, Vin was amazed, some of it had fallen down, but for its age, the fence was in remarkable shape. Some grape vines, seeds probably dropped by birds, had taken root alongside the fence and climbed sporadically along the posts. Within a mile, they came to an open glen. Cottonwood and pine trees dotted the landscape, and rock outcroppings could be seen nearby. An old clapboard house, sat off to the side. A couple of rooms had been added at one time and stuck out from the structure. The fence formed a corral of sorts and ended at the far side of the dwelling where a barn sat with a shed attached. The out-buildings were deteriorating and one of them looked to be about ready to fall over. Although the homestead had a sad, dismal look to it now, it was clear this cabin had been lived in at one time.

Vin experienced a feeling of deja-vue. This place had been warm and comfortable at one time, and made him think of home. He felt a shiver run up his spine and sat staring in amazement at the old place. "I've been here b'fore," he muttered to himself.

"What was that, Vin, I didn't hear you." Pony trotted up beside Peso, Chris looked over at his partner. "What was that? I didn't hear you," he repeated.

The sharpshooter was startled by Larabee's question. "What?" he glanced at Chris.

"What's wrong, Vin, you look like you've seen a ghost."

"Don't you feel that?" He whispered to his partner.

"Feel what, Vin?" Chris was worried about his friend.

Vin turned in the saddle and looked into Larabee's eyes. "Sarah was right, this place is haunted. It feels sorta sad, Chris, or lonely. Don't you feel it?"

Starting to dismount, Larabee shook his head. "It's just an old rundown shack, Vin, nothing more." Glancing around, he suggested, "Why don't we make camp over by those trees. I hear running water so there must be a stream nearby."

"There's a river not far from here," Vin stated.

Dismounting, he led Peso away from the homestead with Chris following him.. A few minutes later they came upon a shallow body of running water. It was about twenty foot across and two or three foot deep, but the river became wider as it rapidly run over the rocky streambed and wound its way on through the valley. A rock outcropping cut through the river at this point, sending half of the water on down the river and the other half across a rock formation that created a small waterfall. The waterfall cascaded into a natural pool, forming a pond. The water was crystal clear and warmed by the sun.

They stood at the shore and watched the water as it ran on down its path.

"Know where it goes from here?" Vin asked.

Chris bit his lip and said, "Probably runs past Royal's place. It's over in that direction. Royal's family has owned their spread since white men first came out here looking to tame the land," Chris answered.

"Hmm, Royal? Don't he own that land up from yours?"

"Yeah, he does. Sarah and his wife were good friends. Both of them worked for the school district. They always wanted me and Guy to be buddies so the four of us could hang out together. We never seemed to hit it off, though." Chris smiled, "It was strange really, we had this instant dislike for each other when we met."

"You being the social butterfly and all, I don't understand that neither." Vin laughed. "What happened?"

Chris laughed along with his friend. "Nothing really, they continued being friends, but quit trying to include
me and Royal into their outings." He paused, "She took Sarah's death real hard. Stirred up some kind of ruckus at the funeral. Buck and Royal stepped in to help her, I think."

"Grief and sorrow can make a person do funny things," Vin said, sadly.

"Yeah, odd I just remembered that. I don't know what it was about, I wasn't exactly on top of my game. either." Giving his head a little shake, "Hell, I barely knew where I was at at the time."

Clapping his friend on the shoulder, Vin said, "We better make camp while it's still light out. We can use some of these rocks for a fire pit."

With that they walked away from the water's edge, made camp and built a fire. After tending to the horses, they walked around the old house, peeking in, and then checked the outbuildings.

After making their supper, they relaxed and enjoyed some whiskey-laced coffee while Larabee smoked his cheroot.

Vin wanted to talk to Chris about this new-found relationship, but was too tired to bring it up. They had to establish some ground rules if this affair was going to continue. He wanted to know where he stood in this situation or if this week was all he was going to get with Larabee. If that was the case, Vin knew he would have to steel his heart for the let-down.

******

Old West: Mid 1880's

Chris Larabee, reputed gunslinger, was having his second whiskey of the day when the first gunshots rang out around him. The neck of Larabee's bottle shattered, spilling glass onto the bar, his hand and worse, into his whiskey. The other patrons of the saloon ducked for cover as bullets whizzed around them, shattering more liquor bottles and breaking the mirror behind the bar. Chris glared at the broken bottle, then reached for another shot glass that was sitting upside down on the shelf behind the bar. Taking ahold of the whiskey bottle, he carefully poured himself a goodly measure, tossed it down, then dropped the glass on the bar. Turning, he stepped over bodies as he headed out the swinging doors.

"Town always this lively?" he asked an old man sitting by the side of the saloon doors.

"Cowhands from Texas, all liquored up and looking fer a lynching. It 'pears our healer is their target today," the old man answered.

Larabee looked around at the commotion. A black man was being forced into a wagon by the cowboys, his hands bound. As the wagon started down the street, a woman appeared with a shotgun and tried to stop the men. One of the cowhands kicked the gun out of her hands, and they continued on to Boothill, followed by many of the townsfolk.

"Are you people just going to let this happen?" she shouted. The towns-people turned away, not wanting to involve themselves in the trouble.

Larabee glanced across the street. A young man was sweeping in front of the hardware store. He was on the skinny-side, but good-looking, what Chris would call pretty. He wondered what this kid was doing in a lawless territory, where he was easy prey for any predator.

Chris looked the town over again. When he glanced back to the store front, the kid was gone. When he reappeared, he had his hat on and a rifle in his hands. Gone was the kid and a man stood in his place. The proprietor followed him out of the store, "You leave and you're fired," the storeowner shouted at him.

"That's great!" The young man said in a gravelly voice. "I'm likely gonna get myself killed, now I gotta worry 'bout finding a new job, too."

While watching the young man load the rifle, Larabee revised his opinion of him. The kid looked more like the predator than the prey. Chris smirked at the young man's words to his boss, but felt the impact of his stare when the young man looked up and noticed the gunslinger across the street.

With a tilt of the gunslinger's head and a nod from the kid, both stepped into the street, heading towards Boothill. Neither man knew nor cared about the hands of fate that would bind their souls together for eternity.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

After the shootout at the cemetery, and Nathan's life saved, they formally introduced themselves. "Name's Chris."

"Vin Tanner," the young man answered quietly.

Mary Travis, the woman that tried to intercede on Nathan's behalf, followed them, trying to get an interview for her newspaper, The Clarion. When she asked where they were headed, both men answered, "Saloon!"

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

As fate had intended, Seven men came together that day to form a formidable group. They rode together to save an Indian Village that had been set upon by rogue Confederate raiders.

Besides Chris Larabee, their unofficial leader, there was, Vin Tanner, ex-bounty hunter, buffalo hunter and tracker; Buck Wilmington, Larabee's long-time friend and ladies' man; Nathan Jackson, an ex-slave with natural healing abilities; Ezra Standish, gambler and con-man; Josiah Sanchez, a defrocked priest; and JD Dunne, a naive young man just off the stagecoach from Boston.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

Mary Travis, a comely widow and the Judge's daughter-in-law, understood that to rid a town of lawlessness you had to have hard men of questionable reputations to drive out the bad element. She figured that once law and order was established, these men would be fired and sent on their way. She wanted the kind of town where people from back east could bring families, settle down, buy farms and businesses. Where they would feel safe to raise their children. Mary wanted to see a school started and the church opened up to hold Sunday services. She wanted to see the town grow and prosper. Most of all, she wanted to bring home her son, Billy, who currently lived with the Judge and his wife, Eve Travis.

After saving the Indian Village, Chris and Vin planned on heading to Tascosa, Texas, to clear Vin's name of the murder he had been wrongfully accused of committing. There was a hefty bounty on his head and Vin was anxious to clear up the matter. As the seven men headed back to town from the village, each man was trying to decide where they would head next.

When they entered Four Corners, Lucas James, a cold-blooded killer, decided to intervene in those plans by killing Mr. Potter, owner of the general store. The murder was witnessed by Circuit Judge, Orrin Travis. The Judge had traveled over three hundred miles to bring law and order to the community where his daughter-in-law lived. The seven men backed the Judge, and Lucas was arrested. With the help of his uncle, he escaped from jail, but was soon brought back to face justice. By the end of the week, Lucas had been tried, hung and the seven men hired to keep order in town.

Chris and Vin became close friends and that closeness escalated into the occasional sexual liaison. Neither man would have called it a relationship, if they put a name to it at all. And since they weren't big on idle conversation, their time together was shared in a comfortable silence. Both men seemed to know what the other was thinking, so words weren't necessary.

She couldn't say when it happened, but when Mary looked at Chris, she began to feel a little flutter in the pit of her stomach. She admired the man and wondered, quite wickedly, what he'd be like in bed. When Lydia and the wagon-load of sporting women came to town, trying to escape from Wickes, Mary was determined to get rid of them. It was obvious to her that Lydia and Chris were lovers and there was no way could she compete with a prostitute. Mary was well aware she had to keep the Travis name free from gossip and scandal or the Judge would never return Billy to her. She sighed in relief when Wickes was defeated and the ladies left Four Corners for San Francisco.

Once the peacekeepers established law and order in the small town, Josiah, with Nathan's occasional help, worked to repair and restore the old Church. It was Josiah's dream to hold Sunday services in the old relic someday.

Soon, new businesses began to open up and farmers started to settle in the area. Mary's dream of a prosperous town was showing promise.

As time passed, Mary and Chris became good friends. They shared many lively conversations, but he showed no sign of being interested in her as a suitor. Once the town had settled down, Billy returned to live with Mary Chris, feeling sorry for the fatherless boy, took him fishing and spent time with him.

Noticing how well Billy and Chris got along, Mary began to dream of Larabee someday asking to court her and the three of them making a life together. However, it seemed to her that Chris spent more time and paid more attention to his friend and fellow peacekeeper, Vin Tanner.

A few months after the peacekeepers were hired, a pretty Mexican woman named Inez Recillos settled in town. She went to work in the Standish Tavern as a barmaid and offered food along with drinks. Vin appointed himself her protector and while he wasn't courting her, he watched over her to be sure she was always safe from over-zealous customers.

Chris, tired of the progress in town, decided to homestead a small piece of property. He built a small cabin, a place to get away for a little peace and quiet when the stress of town became too much. Vin helped him lay out the property boundaries and build the shack.

When Don Paulo came to town looking for Inez, he was determined to take her back to Mexico against her wishes. Buck, a champion of women, fought Don Paulo for her honor. The whole town turned out for the sword-fight, which created a carnival-like atmosphere. Buck was able to defeat and kill Don Paulo in the match-up, giving Inez a peace of mind.

Buck loved women, all women and Inez was no exception. He mooned after her, made endless passes, and was nonstop in his pursuit of the lady. She always rebuffed his advances, one of the few women he couldn't seduce. His friends teased him constantly about her, but Buck was not daunted.

Vin seemed to be showing an interest in her as well, and Inez always had a warm smile for her protector. Buck watched Vin as he watched over Inez, but figured the price on Vin's head kept him from courting her. He knew about Larabee and Tanner's sexual fun, but he hoped it would run its course and end a silent death. However, that didn't seem to be happening.

When Judge Travis assigned the seven to escort a wagon train to their destination, all hell broke loose. Dickie O'Shea was determined to go after the land the settlers owned. It seemed gold had been discovered in the streambed of the small river that run through the property, but the farmers were unaware of it.

Gerard Whitman and his young daughter were with the wagon train. As an old friend, he asked Mary to accompany them to the new land. Gerard had been a friend of her late husband, Steven, and had at one courted Mary. However, after she met Steven, they had fallen in love and Gerard had stepped aside. Once the wagon train arrived at the new land, Gerard asked Mary to marry him, again.

Vin, in the meantime, watched Mary dance around Gerard, teasing him with unvoiced promises of marriage. She also hung around Chris, smiling and flirting with him. Vin, upset over Chris's flirtation with Mary, gave in to his attraction of a young married woman, Charlotte. Unable to watch as Mary tried to make Chris jealous of her and Gerard, Vin and Charlotte ran off together. Chris was livid, but not at Mary.

Mary found Chris sitting off by himself one afternoon and decided to tell him about Gerard's marriage proposal. She wanted a jealous Larabee to ask her not to marry, to give him a chance to woo her.

"Gerard has asked me to marry him," she smiled at Chris.

"Do you love him?" He asked her. Watching her face, she looked doubtful. "Not even a little bit?" he questioned.

Mary shrugged, "I am a little confused," she confessed.

"Somehow, I just can't see you as a farmer's wife, Mary," Chris challenged her lightly.

Given this bit of encouragement, Mary turned down Gerard's proposal, deciding to return to town with the peacekeepers.

Once Vin learned that O'Shea had hired more men, he and Charlotte returned to the wagon train to warn everyone. Chris treated him harshly, asking Vin in a hard voice, when he was leaving again. Vin told him he was back to stay, but Chris snorted and said, "I think you're already gone." Vin tried to clear the air, but Larabee was having none of it.

After being forced to give O'Shea the deed to the land, the seven peacekeepers began the trip back to town, taking the settlers to safety. Trying to kill all the witnesses to his underhandedness in getting the land deed, Dickie O'Shea's men placed a large amount of dynamite on a hillside. He lit the fuse hoping to bury the wagon train under the debris, killing the settlers and seven peacekeepers. When Vin saw the sparks from the burning fuse, he jumped off his horse, took aim and shot the fuse out. O'Shea's powder man then threw a stick of dynamite at Vin. Everyone watched as the explosion lifted Vin off his feet. He was launched into the air to land hard on the ground. Chris, the first person to reach him, pulled Vin into his arms, shook him and shouted, "Are you all right?"

Which Vin, dazed by the explosion, answered, "Most of me."

After this near-miss, Chris let go of some of his anger, having almost lost his best friend and lover. He, of all people, understood that life was uncertain and staying mad at Vin just didn't seem smart. Try as he might, though, Chris just couldn't forget it.

Once they returned to Four Corners, Buck noticed their ardor had cooled, but their friendship remained strong as ever. Their leader started paying more attention to Mary, while Vin seemed interested in Inez. The foolishness at the wagon train seem to have been forgotten. Buck knew better, though, Chris never forgot a slight and he had been angry with Vin. Yeah, Buck thought, Chris was just biding his time to strike back at Tanner. Larabee was a take no prisoner's kind of guy, so when he struck, it wouldn't be pretty. Buck almost felt sorry for Vin.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

When Ella Gaines came to town, she turned their lives upside down.

It was the anniversary of the deaths of Sarah and Adam and Larabee wanted to get out of town with Vin Take him to his bed again, let Vin hold him and help soothe the horrible memory of their death. The two men made plans to leave town, camp out under the stars and restore some peace to Larabee's shattered soul.

Mary had other plans, and she approached the Judge asking him to send Tanner on an errand out of town. It was her hope that Chris would turn to her for comfort. The Judge, aware of Mary's growing interest in Larabee, agreed and while sitting in the saloon that afternoon, sharing a drink with the boys said, "Vin I need you to deliver some papers to Eagle Bend. I'd appreciate it if you could leave early tomorrow. These paper need to get to the sheriff as soon as possible"

Chris smiled, "I'll ride along with you, pard."

The Judge, mindful of Mary's plans, said, "I'm sorry, Chris, but I need you here in town. Do you mind?"

Disappointed, Chris shook his head, looked into Vin's eyes and recognized the same let-down.

Tanner left the following day and Larabee spent the day in the saloon drinking. Mary approach him at his table and tried to invite him for supper, but Chris snarled a refusal at her, saddled his horse and rode to Purgatory to spend the night with Maria, a whore he was acquainted with.

Ella paid Buck and JD to bring Chris back to town and sober him up, which they did. She told the others about Handsome Jack wanting her property and something about the Culpepper Copper Mine being a part of his scheme. Once Vin returned from Eagle Bend, he was confronted with the situation and agreed, with the others, to accompany her to the ranch.

Once they arrived at her ranch, Vin instinctively knew things were not as they were supposed to be, but not being a man of words, didn't know how to voice his suspicions. Everything seemed wrong, like a mirage in the desert, you could see it, but it really wasn't there.

Ella could see Mary was smitten with Chris, so in a calm precise manner, and with a shark's smile pasted on her face, she informed Mary, Chris would not be returning to town. Mary was furious and vowed if Larabee did come back to town, she was going to do whatever was necessary to entice him into her bed. He would be hers, one way or another!

Within a few days, Chris was completely hooked on Ella and her ranch. It reminded him of bygone times when he had his own ranch, his wife and family, raised horses and was happy. Ella offered him all that again. How could he turn away from that promise.

He had known Ella before he'd met and married Sarah. She had been overbearing and demanding, stirring up trouble or flirting with strangers, then expecting Chris to fight for her honor. It became so bad, he had to sneak out of town late one night to get away from her. He'd never looked back or given her a second thought, he had been glad to be free of her. Now, here he was, back in her bed, the bad times a distant memory and only the good times remembered.

Vin, however, wasn't fooled. A few days after arriving at Ella's place, Chris announced he wouldn't be returning to town with them. He was staying with Ella.

"Well, good luck," Vin wished him half-heartedly and walked away feeling betrayed.

Later in the day, he approached the blond and asked. "Why're ya staying here, cowboy?"

Larabee looked at him and said, "When you left me for Charlotte, pard, I didn't question you, did I?" Pausing and looking toward the house, continued, "Look around you, Vin, this is my dream. Besides, she's a damn exciting woman." He turned and walked towards the ranch house while Tanner stood and watched him, shaking his head.

The seven peacekeepers had a few run-ins with Handsome Jack and his gang. After a lot of words were exchanged and a few bullets traded, Jack seem to back off. Chris figured Jack had been run off, but to be sure, he assigned Vin the task of riding into Red Fork to check that the rogue really had left the area.

While Tanner was in town, he decided to do some investigating on his own.

Checking the land records, silently thanking Mary for teaching him to read, he discovered that Ella already owned the mine and Jack was actually working for her. Returning to the ranch, he was determined to make Larabee see reason.

Ella arranged a party to be held at the ranch as a celebration for Jack's giving up and leaving. When Vin arrived back at the ranch from Red Fork, the party was in full swing. Everyone enjoyed the food and drink she provided and was having a great time.

Vin spied Chris standing by himself, drink in hand, leaning against a wall. He was wearing a suit and looked more like a banker than a gunslinger. Vin shook his head and walked towards Chris, intending to tell him the news. Before he could say anything, though, Larabee growled, "Where you been?"

Sighing heavily, Vin said, "ain't no easy way to say this, so I'll just spill it. Ella already owns the Culpepper Mine."

"Where'd you get that?" Chris snarled.

"County clerk over in Red Fork. Handsome Jack works for her."

Chris narrowed his eyes. "Who told you to go snooping into her business?"

"She lied to ya, Chris, up and down the line. That woman's no good."

"I'm gonna forget you said that, Vin."

"Well, come sunrise then, I'll be going."

Devastated, Tanner walked outside and rode back to his campsite, determined to put Larabee behind him and move on.

Vin's remarks about Ella raised some suspicions in Larabee's mind, so after she was asleep, Chris took her keys and went to check on a hall closet that she kept locked. Inside the room, he found his wife's locket and pictures of him, Sarah and Adam. Sarah's face was cut out or marred in some way. Adam's likeness had been slashed with a knife.

Ella, pulled the door open and looked at Chris. "How'd you get my wife's locket?" he questioned, bewildered.

Ella proudly answered him, "Fowler brought it to me after the fire," she said with a smile. "See how far I would go for you? This great love we share will always be in our hearts and no one will ever be able to keep us apart."

"You bitch!" Larabee snarled, grabbed her by the throat and started choking her. The first gunshots rang out and Larabee, snarled at her, "What have you done?" and pushing her away from him, turned and left the house.

Her words ringing in his ears, "I'll kill anyone that tries to come between us."

Vin was halfway over the hill when he heard the gunfire. Returning to the house, he found Larabee on the ground, shot by Handsome Jack. On Ella's orders, Jack and his men attacked the bunkhouse trying to kill the six remaining peacekeepers. While the gun battle raged, Vin stood over Chris, protecting him until the shootout was over. After the shooting ended, Jack and his men were either dead or scattered. Ella, unfortunately, escaped into the landscape also.

Chris, was gravely injured and near death. Nathan worked for hours trying to save Chris's life and after succeeding, worked to keep him alive. The peacekeepers stayed at the ranch house until Larabee was strong enough to travel back to town.

Once back in Four Corners, Vin took off to track Ella. Chris hadn't taken the shot to kill her and Vin's shot had missed. Chris continued to heal, but his demeanor refused to improve. He was sullen and withdrawn, difficult and hard to be around. It wasn't long before everyone was tired of his attitude.

When Vin returned to town and told Larabee he'd lost any trail she might have left, Chris was bitterly disappointed. He wanted to blame Vin, but knew he couldn't. Hell, he'd had her in his sights and hadn't pulled the trigger, so he could hardly blame anyone but himself. He'd killed a lot of men in his lifetime, but there was something ugly about killing a woman. He just couldn't do it. He snorted at the absurdity of that. She had killed his beautiful wife and his precious son. Why in the hell couldn't he kill her, was the question that kept running through his mind.

A few days later, Mary dropped the letter in his lap. Inside was a note from Ella and a picture of the two of them at the party. The letter was signed Mrs. Chris Larabee. Well, Chris thought with bitterness, there was just one Mrs. Chris Larabee and she lay cold in her grave. As far as he was concerned, that was all there ever would be.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

Mary watched with trepidation as Chris sank further into depression. She wondered what happened at Ella's, but no one was talking. Not even JD, who she pestered constantly for information. He was usually so forth-coming, but he kept silent, also. The seven peacekeepers had closed ranks and she was on the outside. At least, she thought, Vin and Chris seemed to be on the outs and was keeping away from each other.

Then early one morning, about three months after returning from Ella's, Mary noticed Vin and Chris sitting in front of the saloon. Both men were relaxed, drinking coffee and laughing over a shared joke. The close friendship that had faltered after their return to town had grown close once again. Watching them day after day, she discovered they were closer than ever.

Chris and Vin started working on the homestead again. They added a small room onto the house and planned to add a tack room on the small barn.

Mary began hoping, once again, she and Chris would finally be together.

After joining the group advocating statehood, she found herself busier than ever. Mary attended rallies and wrote editorials in favor of their territory becoming a state. There was to be a rally in Four Corners, to coincide with the territorial governor's visit. He was against statehood and Mary was hoping to get a debate going with him. She loved politics and wished fervently that women could vote and run for office, and found it very unfair she couldn't participate in the process.

Chris had slowly resumed their friendship again, and Mary was hoping to announce their engagement at the rally, but the governor's visit came and went with no promise from Larabee.

However, Buck it seemed, had finally met his match in a saucy woman named Louisa. She heard he'd asked her to marry him, but Louisa had said no.

Mary decided it was time her and Larabee were together and started formulating a plan. First she would send Billy to Mrs. Potter's for the night, invite Chris to supper and ply him with whiskey. Once he was a little drunk, she'd make her plans known and the rest would be simple. Men really were easy when it came to sex, she smiled wistfully to herself.

A few days later, she put her plan into action. She stopped in front of the saloon, where Chris and Vin sat planning an addition to the barn. She greeted Vin politely and asked how he was doing, then turned to Chris and asked him to come by Saturday evening. She wanted to talk to him about town business and would cook supper for them.

Chris answered, "Sure, Mary. It'll be nice to get a home-cooked meal. Vin, you want to come, too?"

Mary held her breath, but Vin answered with a grin, "No, you can handle the town business and tell me 'bout it later." Smiling at Mary, he continued. "Thanks anyway, Mary."

Vin teased Chris about the invitation, but soon, they were once again immersed in their plans for the addition to the barn.

When Larabee arrived at Mary's on Saturday night, she was dressed in a low-cut gown with her breasts spilling out of the top. His eyes landed on her exposed flesh and she knew she had him.

Expecting to find Billy home, he was surprised when Mary told him Billy was at Mrs. Potter's for the night. Larabee removed his gun belt and coat at the door, sat and watched Mary put the food on the table. She leaned over him, letting her bosom brush his arm as she poured them coffee. Larabee couldn't keep his eyes off her breasts.

By keeping Larabee's coffee cup filled and laced with whiskey, he was soon feeling the buzz of the alcohol. Mary blew out several candles, straddled his lap and gently placed his mouth against her bodice. She kissed his forehead and ran her tongue along the shell of his ear.

Chris couldn't resist touching her breast and soon had his hand inside her blouse, lightly playing with her nipple. It wasn't long before he had her cleavage out of her bodice. He squeezed the ample breast with his hand, and sucked the teat into his mouth,

"Let's go to bed," she suggested.

"Mary, stop," he whispered. "We shouldn't be doing this."

"Yes, we should," Mary insisted, placing his hand on her thigh. His hand continued on up the leg and squeezed her buttock, and discovered she wasn't wearing any underdrawers. He found that odd, but let his fingers move to her womanhood. She unbuttoned his shirt and pushed it off of his shoulders. Groaning, she kissed his mouth and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Larabee parted his lips accepting her tongue as it invaded his hot mouth.

Putting his hands under her ass, he stood, lifting her. She wrapped her legs around his waist and he carried her into the bedroom. He laid her on the bed, toed off his boots and grimaced as she posed herself on the bed and smiled up at him.

Larabee knew he was drunk, knew he should stop, leave and go to the boarding house, but he simply couldn't muster the strength. Mary's body was on fire and just begging to be ravished. His cock was hard and ready to invade her secret place.

Chris quickly removed his shirt, and lay down beside her. Mary ran her tongue around his male buds, causing them to peak. It was odd the way she licked at his nipples and he thought of Vin. His cock was hard and ready, standing taut against his stomach. He loosened his pants, letting his cock free of its confinement and watched as she slid out of her dress. Mary was naked underneath. Taking her in his arms again, he sucked and bit on her breast, his hand trailing down her belly to the thatch of hair at her crevice. Pulling Mary's legs apart, he crawled between her thighs, pushed his pants to his knees, placed his hard cock at her opening and entered her.

Mary was surprised by the quickness of his entry. She wanted foreplay, sweet words of love and tiny sweet kisses. Gentle sex that ended with overheated bodies climaxing together, but what she was getting was a drunk man, pleasuring himself. Since she had initiated this situation, she felt she could only blame herself. Larabee was squeezing her breast, while the other hand pinched her buttock. Then he was coming.

"Wait," she started to say, but Chris had finished. Rolling off of her body, sated, he went straight to sleep, his pants still around his knees.

Hot bitter tears spilled down her cheeks. She was fairly certain he hadn't treated his wife this way or that Ella woman. What had she done? It was more than apparent Chris held no romantic feelings for her. Larabee was snoring loudly, his alcohol breath fouling the air of her room. How could she be so foolish? Mary wondered. How many times had he spurned her romantic overtures? Disgusted, Mary nudged him hard in the ribs with her elbow. Larabee turned on his side away from her, and his snores quieted for the time being. Finally, hours later, she fell asleep, her eyes swollen from crying.

During the night, Chris half woke and removed his pants. Laying against the warm body, he thought was Vin, he fell back into a deep sleep.

Around dawn, Larabee dreamily awakened and in that space between wakefulness and dreamland, he felt the body next to him. Turning over to spoon up against it, he run his fingers over the curve of warm female flesh. He kissed her shoulder, caressed a breast, gently playing with a nipple. Running his fingers lightly down her belly, he whispered, "Sarah? Sarah, I love you so much." He started to kiss the shoulder again, only to have it fly out of the bed and screech loudly.

"How dare you!" Mary screamed as she flung herself out of bed. Humiliation burned in her as she remembered responding to the gentle touches, but to be called by his dead wife's name was more than she could bear.

Larabee woke up immediately. The hangover was torturous, the headache, a cruel agony. His stomach tried to rebel. He swallowed, trying to keep his stomach contents down. Sitting up on the side of the bed, looking around, he groaned. What the hell was he doing in Mary's bedroom? Then it hit him, "Oh shit no," he muttered, remembering. He sat on the side of the bed, holding his aching head in his hands while Mary screeched about something he'd done. Could it get any worse?

"...And I'm going to tell the Judge you raped me," she finished. Pulling her robe on, she lifted her chin self-righteously and glared at him.

Larabee raised his head and glared at her with bleary eyes. "The Judge is never going to believe that one, and what the hell kinda rotgut did you serve, anyway? My head feels like someone is hitting it with a sledgehammer."

"Get out of my house," Mary snarled. She knew Larabee was right and the Judge would not believe her.

"Gladly, but you don't need to yell, shit," The gunslinger said quietly and looking around for his clothes, dressed slowly and left.

Luckily, no one was in the street to witness his departure from the newspaper office. He ambled slowly down the street to the saloon, sat in one of the chairs on the boardwalk, pulled his hat over his eyes and tried to take a nap. The top of his head felt like it was going to explode any minute. He hadn't drunk that much in a long time and he needed coffee, badly. Everything hurt, even his eyelashes. Knowing he was going to be sick, he went around to the side of the building and threw up.

And that was where Vin found him. Coming from his wagon to the saloon, he saw his lover leaning against the building "Hey cowboy, I missed ya last night."

Chris grunted at him and threw up again.

"Looks like ya might need some coffee there, pard." Vin watched as his partner emptied his stomach. Shaking his head, Vin knew his suspicions were right. When Chris didn't return to the boarding house the night before, Vin figured he'd stayed with Mary. Walking away from Chris, with his lover following, Vin commented, "Ya ain't drunk enough to make ya sick in a long time. Thought you 'n Mary were jest gonna have supper."

Wiping his mouth with his handkerchief, Chris looked over at his friend. "We had supper, Vin, then we had whiskey."

"You and Mary? Mary get drunk too?" Vin said, surprised and disbelieving

"I don't know, you say something about coffee?" Larabee muttered.

Deciding not to argue, Vin nodded, "Come on inta the saloon. Inez says I can make coffee anytime I want. You can rinse yer mouth out at her sink."

"Ezra know about that," he grinned, then winced at the pain of the headache.

"Reckon it wouldn't make any difference no how."

Chris followed Vin into the saloon, primed and pumped a pan of water, splashed it on his face and rinsed his mouth.

"You sleep with Mary?" The question was asked so quietly, that Chris wasn't sure he'd heard it.

"Guess I did. I'm sorry Vin," Larabee answered just as quietly.

Vin was deeply hurt and felt bitterness well up inside of him. Taking a deep breath, he shrugged it off, saying, "Don't matter," and put the coffee on to brew. The thing was, it did matter to him. He and Larabee had made promises to each other and now Chris had broken them. Vin figured Chris would always want a woman and if they were to continue, he'd just have to accept it. The thing was, he wasn't sure he could.

A short while later the coffee was ready and Vin handed Chris a cup. "Here's yer coffee, cowboy. I hope she don't come up with a young'un." Vin added.

"Shit!" The gunslinger muttered.

-