PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
A few months later, Mary made her way to the jail. She looked around, self-consciously, before entering. Chris was sitting at the desk going through the mail and wanted posters. He looked up as Mary stepped into the room, closing the door, she glanced around the room and walked over to the desk.

"I've missed three of my cycles," she stated in a low voice. "Are you going to do your duty or not?"

Chris frowned, "I'll take care of my responsibilities, but know this. I'll never live in your house nor will you live in mine. There'll be no honeymoon or celebration. I'll ask Josiah to perform a quiet ceremony."

"I've already telegraphed the Judge. I'm sure he'll want to say some words, also. Please be civil when he's around, I don't want him taking Billy from me." Bitter tears clouded her eyes.

"I won't let that happen. While the Judge is here, we'll try and act like a normal family, but I'll be staying at my cabin. You can tell him whatever you want." Larabee sighed heavily.

"Okay then," and she turned and left. Vin, who had stepped out the back door just before Mary had entered, stepped back inside the jail. "Weren't ya a little hard on her, cowboy?" Vin asked him.

Chris looked up at Vin and sighed again. "You do remember Ella Gaines, don't you? You want the same thing to happen to her, Billy and the baby that happened to Sarah and Adam? I know I don't!" His voice tightened as he said it.

"Sorry Chris, yer right. I ain't forgot 'bout that bitch, just put her outta my thinking. I wish we could find her and end her miserable life."

"Me too, pard," Chris shook his head, "Not being able to be a Pa to the baby is gonna be tough, but I have to protect them, Vin."

"Whadda you reckon the Judge'll say?" Vin wondered out loud.

Chris snorted, "Hell pard, there aren't that many people in town that can't count. No doubt about it, Mary will be the topic of gossip for awhile, but no one will say anything to her face 'cause they know she has the Judge's protection as well as mine."

"Ours too, cowboy, ya know that," Vin stated with certainty.

Six months later, Mary gave birth to a healthy baby boy. She named him Steven Matthew Larabee. A few days later, the father of Steven Mathew visited the mother and child. As the little boy held tight to his father's finger, a sad smile curled his mouth. Chris Larabee walked away from the house a proud, but bitter man.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

Almost three years to the day that Judge Travis had hired the Seven Peacekeepers to protect the town, he called them together for another meeting at the jail.

"Boys," he started, "A Federal Marshal will be here Sunday and he'll be taking over your duties. A new Governor has been appointed and he wants things to continue to go smoothly, so he's sending someone with a badge out here." Travis looked around at his men. The first time he'd replaced them with Marshal Bryce, they hadn't been happy about it, but this time, the Judge notice a look of relief on their faces. "The Governor wants to show his appreciation for the good job you men have performed by giving each of you a square mile of land. That's about 640 acres, give or take a few. All of the land parcels butt up against each other, so if you boys put them together as a partnership, you'll have quite a large spread." The Judge started handing out the deeds to the land granted to them. "Also, as you know I've been working to get Vin's bounty pulled and the Governor of Texas has agreed to grant him a pardon. He and I will be leaving for Texas on Sunday, so he can receive his papers." The Judge clapped Vin on the shoulder. "Congratulations son," he said, smiling at Vin.

"What's that all mean, Judge?" Tanner asked.

"It means you'll no longer be a wanted man. When Eli Joe came through here a few years ago, he confessed to many in his gang to the killing of Mr. Kincade. And, I admit, it's taken some time, you know these things don't happen overnight, but with the testimony of Yates and a few others, well, we were able to prove you didn't kill Jess Kincade. All charges have been dropped, but you'll need this paper in case bounty hunters come looking."

There were smiles all around. The other six clapped Vin on the back, congratulating him. Vin felt the weight of the world come off his shoulders He looked at Chris, who smiled back at him.

"That's about it, boys. Come Sunday, your job is finished. Oh Chris, Mary asked me to give you this telegram. She said you've been working on your house and hadn't been home." Handing him the wire.

Chris smiled, "Thanks Judge, and yeah, I'm adding on another room."

Judge Travis smiled, "Lil' Steven sure is getting big."

Larabee smiled, "Yeah, he is," was all he said.

Opening the telegram, Chris read it briefly and stuck it in his pocket.

As everyone left the jailhouse heading for the saloon, Chris headed for the telegraph office. Out in the street, Buck let out a loud yell. "Whoowe! Reckon we got some celebrating to do."

As they made their way into the saloon, Inez, curious about what was going on, asked, "Senors, you act like big things have happened." She smiled at them and served their drinks.

"Well, we've all just lost our jobs," Buck gushed, "And Vin here, is going back to Texas to receive a pardon," he finished.

"Is that true?" She looked first at the Judge, then at Vin.

"Reckon it is, Miz Inez." Although Vin was smiling, he was still in shock at this turn of events.

Chris strolled in through the batwing doors and joined the others.

"What's up, pard?" Buck asked.

Chris snorted, "Seems my Pa died and my brother is wanting me to come back to Indiana and help out on the family farm."

"Sorry to hear about your Pa. You going?" Buck was curious.

"Hell no! I wasn't a farmer when I left there and I sure as hell ain't no farmer now!" Chris smirked.

Inez brought Chris his beer and lingered a few moments at the table. "Senor Judge, Vin, I was wondering if I may travel with you to Texas? I have been wanting to visit my family." She hesitated. "My mama is in Mexico. I can pay my own way and will not be a burden." She held her breath.

"Yes, of course," The Judge smiled, "It's too dangerous for you to travel alone and you'll be a lot safer traveling with us. Sunday okay with you?"

Vin nodded in agreement.

"Si, I can be ready by Sunday. Gracias, Senors, gracias."

On Saturday night, Chris and Vin went out to his cabin to say goodbye. After they made love, Vin promised Chris he'd be back as soon as he could.

On Sunday, Vin and Peso, with the Judge and Inez on the stage, left for Texas.

Buck Wilmington sent a telegram to Louisa, asking her to meet him in Kansas City.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

It was 3 months later when Chris received this letter:

Dear Cris,

The judge and I visited with the Governor of Texas and he granted my pardon. He said all charges had been dropped, but to keep the paper with me at all times. I rode with Inez over inta Mexico and met her family. It 'pears her traveling alone with me was wrong, so we got hitched up to keep her family from shunning her. We's gonna be headed home soon. I miss ya and the others and will be happy to git home.

Your friend, Vin


Dear Vin,

I was surprised when I got your letter. I hope the two of you will be happy together. The new Marshal made Nathan close his clinic, so he moved back to the reservation. He and Raine were married a few months ago. JD took the job as the deputy to the new Marshal and is doing a fine job. I think Josiah might be thinking of courting Mrs. Potter. He seems to be taking a lot of meals with her lately. I miss you, Vin, and I hope you'll soon be coming home.

Yours always, Chris


Sometime later, Chris received this letter from Vin:

Dear Cris,

I know it has bin awhile sents you've herd from me, but time has gotten away from me. I already tole ya, me 'n Inez done got hitched up whilst we was in Mexico. A few months ago we had a little feller, cuter 'n a bug ang we cald him Vin Crisofer Tanner. He's really growing up fast and now Inez thinks she may be having another young 'un. We's planning on coming home, but Inez took sucha spell with lil Cris, I don't wanna take any chances with her or the baby. We moved over to El Paso, but her ma lives just across the border, so they are still closeby. We's doing fine, I'm working as a drover. ain't much else to do in these parts. ain't sure when we'll git back, but I want ya to know I ain't fergot ya or the times we spent tagether. We'll be home just as soon as we can. Maybe you an me kin git away and go fishing 'r something. I miss you and the others. I hope you know you'll always be my friend.

Vin
PS. If'n ya want ya kin sell off my land we's giving or jist hang on to it and the deed.


Dear Vin,

It was really good to hear from you. I'm happy that you are reaping the rewards of being a papa. If it's all right, I'll hold on to your piece of land. I've bought all the others out and everyone has moved on to other places. Buck left soon after you did and he and Louisa were married in Kansas City. Louisa had a little boy a few months ago. Ezra left soon after for San Francisco. There he met up with Li Pong and married her. Of course, you already know Nathan and Raine are married. They now have a baby on the way. Josiah married Gloria Potter. I guess she's Gloria Sanchez now. JD, as you know, took a job as deputy to the new Marshal and he and Casey are planning a June wedding.

Mary took the children to Indiana to help my brother with the family farm. I believe they are safe there and no harm will come to them from Ella. Billy stayed with the Judge and Evie for part of this past summer. Some of the land grants we were given borders the mountains and when I'm up there scouting out boundaries, I think of you and all the good times we shared. You'll always be my best friend and I'll never forget you or the times we spent together, but I understand Inez and the children have to come first. Hopefully, we'll meet again, if not in this lifetime, then in the next one.

Yours always, Chris


*******

Present Day: August 2005

They made camp midway between the old homestead and the river. Chris couldn't help but stare at the old shack, and even though he denied it, he could feel the profound loneliness of the house and wasn't that ridiculous? Houses didn't have feelings, they were inanimate objects, right? Chris shivered. Stop it, he admonished himself.

Sarah and Vin claimed the old house was haunted and maybe it was. Looking at it now, it sure looked forlorn. Old and decaying, Larabee shivered again.

Glancing at Vin, he said, "Sarah and Adam are buried in the new cemetery, but there's an old graveyard somewhere around here, over in that direction." He indicated with his chin.

"You mean like a Boothill? Can we check it out?"

"Sure pard, we have a few more days left. We'll ride that way on the way home. I'm sure we'll be able to find it. Right now let's finish getting this camp set up while there's still light."

Once camp was made and the horses tended to, coffee was put on to brew. Chris and Vin walked over to look at the house. The porch looked to be sturdy enough as Vin stepped on it, testing the boards, he walked gingerly across it. Peeking inside, he could see there was a main room with an alcove off to the side. The front area appeared to be a kitchen and sitting room. There was a fireplace on one wall and a pot-belly stove against the other. Crude shelves lined the walls. There were a few chairs with intricate carVin's on the chair-backs and a few tables dotted the room. Everything looked handmade and seemed to Vin that the house was simply biding time, waiting for the owners to return. A box and a few trinkets sat on one table. Although the windows were dirty, some light still shone through them.

"I'd love to get inside, Chris," Vin said. "Look at them chairs. Someone sure spent a lotta time carving 'em."

"I know, pard, I would too, but let's wait until tomorrow when we have good light. There may be critters living inside. I know I don't want to disturb a viper's nest," Chris chuckled. Truth was, what he really wanted was to get as far away from this place as he could. As they had approached the porch, he'd felt a terrible loneliness come over him. Trying to shake the feeling, Larabee stepped away quickly from the doorway and said, "I'm hungry, let's get supper on."

After dinner they relaxed and explored the meadow. There were cottonwood, tall pines and cedar trees, grass that was knee-high and lofty crags sat off in the distance. Looking around, Vin said, "Sure is a purty place."

Larabee relaxed with a cheroot as they watched the sunset, a beautiful array of colors, seemed only to be for them. Chris looked over at Vin, who was completely at ease, and he wished they were back at the ranch in his king-size bed.

Reaching over for Vin's hand, he brought it to his lips and kissed it.

Vin looked at him, smiled shyly, then drawled in his honey-soaked voice, "I'm gonna ask you again, cowboy, what're we doing?"

Chris brought Vin's fingers to his mouth again. "I care about you, pard. I'd like for us to be together, if you agree." Looking into Vin's eyes, Chris went on. "You know, I ain't much for words, pard, but I care about you and I'd like for us to see where this thing might lead us."

Vin grinned, "I ain't asking for a commitment, I just want to know if this is a weekend fling or if it's going somewhere." Glancing away from Chris, he bit his bottom lip in thought, turned and looked at his partner again. "Truth is Chris, I don't think I can do casual. There's too much at stake here. There ain't nothing worth losing our friendship over."

"I don't want casual either, Vin. I want to be with you, see where this thing might take us. As I said, I care a lot about you. Hell, you're my best friend, pard. And there's nothing that could ever change that," Larabee said quietly.

"We'd have to keep it out of the office. You're my boss, for Christ's sakes," Vin grinned.

Chris sobered, "Not out here, I'm not. We walk out of the Federal building, we're just two friends." Sighing, Chris considered carefully his next words. "I love being with you, Vin. I could sit with you for hours, hell, I have sat with you for hours and never once felt crowded or bored. You help calm my soul and make my life bearable. And last night was good, Vin. I just wish we had a real bed out here." He grinned lewdly and quirked an eyebrow at his partner.

Vin snorted, "I reckon I saw how you made our bed up. It looks right cozy."

"So you're agreeable?" Chris glanced at him.

"Won't be easy, but yeah, I'd like that." Vin shrugged, "There's the boys. What do you reckon they'll say when they find out?"

"If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth having." After Chris gave it some thought, he continued, "I'm not sure what the boys will say or think. Ezra and Josiah make their living by studying people, so they'll probably figure it out on their own. The rest, well, I don't know." Chris gave a slight shake of his head. "Tell you what, once we figure out where it's headed, we'll tell the others, okay?"

"Okay." Vin grinned at his partner and said, "I never figured you'd want to walk on the wild side. I mean, I'm gay Chris, it's all I've ever known, but you were married, had a family. I reckon I'm just confused."

"Don't be confused, Vin, this isn't the first time I've jumped the fence. Hell, I've always enjoyed sex, male and female."

Vin frowned at Chris, "Up until last night, I ain't had sex in so long, I figured I'd forgotten how," blushing, he grinned sheepishly at the confession.

"Because of our careers?" the blond asked his friend, surprised.

"Mostly," he paused, "Being in the Rangers, the US. Marshals office and now the ATF, well them fellers would never accept my lifestyle, so instead of taking chances on being outed, I'd just do without."

"That's gotta be hard on a man, looking over your shoulder, doing without someone's touch, not being able to share your feelings with anyone. Shit, I can't even begin to imagine what that would be like."

Vin shrugged, "Weren't so bad. Used to have a friend who I'd get together with on leave or vacations. Share a few weeks, but a few years back, he met someone special and we ended it. We're still friends, though." Vin shrugged again.

"Well, for the record, Vin, I'm not looking for anything casual with you. If you're willing to see where this path will lead us, I want to walk it with you." Chris leaned over and kissed Vin lightly on the mouth.

Pulling back from the kiss, Vin answered quietly, "I'd walk anywhere you wanted to go, cowboy, even to hell and back."

"One thing we need to get straight, Vin," Chris said. "I expect you to be honest with me. We're in this together. If you find someone else you want to be with, come and tell me. I'd never try to hold you." He paused, frowned and continued, "Hell, I couldn't anyway, so just be honest with me, that's all I ask, but if I ever catch you cheating, I will hurt you, pard."

Vin looked at Larabee with narrowed eyes, "That's a two-way street, Larabee," he answered and thunder rumbled in the distance, sealing the pact.

"Agreed pard, we're in this together," he softened his tone. Pulling Tanner to him, they kissed each other chastely at first, then with more fervor as passion rose between them. The bristle of beards rasped against each other's skin.

Chris pulled away from his partner and scratched his cheek, "I really need to shave tomorrow."

Vin laughed and feeling his own two-day growth, replied, "Yeah and a bath would sure feel like heaven, too."

Thunder rumbled across the valley and a flash of lightening lit up the sky. "I think it's gonna rain, cowboy. We gotta get some wood under the tarp if we're gonna have a fire in the morning." Vin pushed lightly against his lover.

"I know," Chris responded, as lightening flashed again across the mountains they had descended from that morning. "It's probably storming up at the old campsite right now."

Rising and working together they finally had enough kindling and logs stored for morning. It had been a long day so the men decided to turn in for the night.

"Chris," the sharpshooter ventured, "if I lose my mind and go out with someone else, would ya just shoot me and put me outta my misery?"

Chris laughed, "Do you mind putting that in writing pard, otherwise, do you know how much paperwork I'd be stuck with and you know how much I hate paperwork!"

Later that night, Vin was snuggled against Chris's shoulder, the blond's arm wrapped around his lover, their passion spent. A light rain fell, making a pitter-patter on the tent. Relaxed, the occupants fell into a peaceful slumber.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

Friday morning dawned bright and clear. The rain was gone, leaving a fresh, clean feeling in the air. The tracker was the first to wake, dress and start the fire. Coffee was soon brewing on the camp stove. The blond was up next and together they fixed breakfast, tended the horses and cleaned up the area. While eating breakfast, Tanner noticed the abundance of rabbits running around the meadow and decided to set some snares. Roasted rabbit sure sounded good.

After the traps were made and set, they headed over to the old cabin. "This porch looks sturdy, but some of them boards are rotting." Vin motioned with his chin towards the other side of the porch.

Making his way to the doorway, Vin looked inside the house, again. Larabee edged in beside him. "Be careful, Vin, that roof looks like it may cave-in."

"Yeah, I know cowboy, but I'd love to get inside and explore the corners." Shivering, Vin said, "I'd swear I've been here before."

Larabee had the same feeling of deja-vu Vin was experiencing, but said, "I don't think it'll be hard to shore up the roof. We can use some of the split-rails used for the fence." They stepped off the porch and headed for the barn. Walking inside, Chris commented, "There's five stalls, looks like someone was working the place."

Tanner nudged his partner with his elbow, "That a tack room over there?"

Moving gingerly into the structure, Vin walked past the stalls and stuck his nose into the small room. "Yep," he said, "it's the tack room." He returned to where Larabee stood by the doorway.

"Let's get that roof shored up in the cabin, Vin," the blond said as he turned and headed back to the small house.

Within a few hours, they had the roof fixed and felt confidant that it wouldn't come down on top of them. After lunch they set out to explore the old homestead.

Inside the shack there were two tables and a few chairs, definitely handmade, and the pot-belly stove. Chris found a large tree limb and cleared away most of the cobwebs. During their work, they uncovered a nest of mice, which ran helter-skelter over their feet, startling them. Laughing at themselves, they gave each other a sheepish grin. Vin was glad they hadn't found any snakes. He really hated the creepy things.

Chris decided to check out the rest of the house. Stepping into the second room, which was no bigger than a large closet, he found a cot in the corner, placed under a window with a table beside it. Moving from that room, he stepped into the alcove. There was no window, so the room was darker than the rest of the house. A iron headboard leaned against the wall, and an old coal-oil lamp sat on the floor next to a small table.

"Vin, look at this," Larabee shivered, and felt ghost-like fingers touch his back. He turned around quickly, searching.

Tanner walked over and looked over the blond's shoulder. Sensing another's presence, he also turned and looked around the main room, but saw nothing.

Moving around Larabee, he squatted and inspected the iron bed. "You could clean this up and use it. It's in real good condition for its age."

"I don't know pard," Chris whispered, "This old bed seems to belong here. I wouldn't feel right moving it."

Rising to his feet, said, "You're right cowboy," Vin smiled, "probably just bring the ghost with ya."

"Don't even joke about that," Chris smirked. "But you know, I can close my eyes and picture this room. The table sat over there against that wall."

"And the bed was turned this way," Vin continued, "The chair in that corner."

"You can feel the sadness in this shack. I think there was love here once, but if it was the old gunslinger who lived here, he must have been alone at the end." Chris sighed, feeling that strange sense of sorrow wrap around him again.

They moved back into the main room again. A wooden box with a crude carving of two birds in flight, the tips of their
wings touching, sat on the table by the window. Vin tried to open it, but the lid was stuck. Taking out his pocket-knife, he pried it open and was shocked by what he found. Inside the box was the cremated remains of a body. At least, he thought they were human.

"Chris," he whispered, "This what I think it is?"

Larabee walked over to the table and stared at the contents. "If you're thinking that's a body, you're probably right. Those ashes look human." Vin felt those fingers creep up his spine and shivered again. He slowly replaced the lid on the box.

Chris ambled back into the small bedroom and looked around. He tried to pull the cot away from the wall, but it was made of wood and very heavy. Chris checked under the bed and found a small chest. He called to his partner. "Vin, come 'ere, I've found a trunk."

Stepping away from the box, Vin answered, "That right?" and walked to where his partner was trying to move the small cot.

"Help me move this bed away from the wall. There's a trunk or some sorta chest under it."

Taking ahold of the bed, both of them worked to move it. "The damn thing's heavy," Vin said, as they struggled to get the cot away from the wall.

Once the bed was moved far enough from the wall, Chris grabbed ahold of the trunk and dragged it into the main room. It was about two by one foot and was made of metal. Black straps wrapped around the chest and and the lid was secured with an antique lock. They looked around for a key, but couldn't find any.

"Let's take this back to the camp. Maybe we can break the lock and find out what's inside," Chris suggested.

Once back at their campsite, Vin checked his traps and found three fat rabbits. He cleaned and spitted them and put the meat over the small fire to cook. He added two foil-wrapped ears of corn and potatoes into the fire to roast. With dinner on, they decided to head to the pond for a swim and to cleanup. Gathering up the canteens and supplies for a bath, they headed towards the pond.

The water was about six foot deep, crystal clear and warmed by the sun. The bottom was rocky, but through the years of having the water cascade over the rocks, the waterfall had eroded into a smooth shelf. Boulders and rocks bordered the edges as water poured into the pool.

They waded into the pond, cautiously, feeling their way, letting their bodies adjust to the temperature of the water. Relaxing, they swam, splashed water on each other and bathe. Using the waterfall as a shower, they washed the sweat, dust and dirt off of themselves. Once they were finished they made their way to the side of the pool. Vin stretched out on a flat rock, soaking up the rays of the sun while he watched Chris shave.

Chris ran the straight razor over his face and Vin suddenly felt an odd sense of fugue come over him. In that instant, Chris changed from Chris to..., to whom? A shimmering wraith had appeared, then seconds later disappeared. Chris was himself, again. Shocked, Vin sat up on the rock and stared at his partner.

As Chris worked to get rid of his whiskers, he noticed Vin sit up and look at him in a strange way. Larabee stopped shaving and looked at his partner perplexed. "You look like you just seen a ghost, pard."

Vin stared at him, "I...," he stammered, cleared his throat and tried again. "I ain't ever seen you use a straight razor before to shave. You always use the electric one. The one with batteries."

"Yeah, and I have it with me, but with two days growth, I knew it wouldn't give me as smooth a shave. I always carry this razor just in case. I usually don't go this long without shaving. You best use your own razor, pard, if you're going to sleep in the tent with me tonight," he joked. Chris knew he was babbling, but Vin was still staring at him, like he'd suddenly sprouted a second head. It made him feel uncomfortable.

Tanner gave his head a little shake to clear it, chuffed out what Larabee figured was a laugh and reached for his own shaving kit.

Chris watched as Vin started to shave and a sad, lonely feeling descended on him, again. He finished shaving, put his razor away and said, "You know Vin, I think you're right, maybe this place is haunted. I just keep feeling like we've done this before."

Vin looked up at the blond and still shaken from what he thought he'd seen, slowly nodded in agreement.

Chris sat down next to Vin, brought his knees up, rested his chin on his arms and continued. "I feel like you and I have sat here, just like this, maybe watched a sunset or made love right here on this rock." His voice ended in a whisper.

Vin nodded and quietly said, "I know, I have the same feeling. I know I been here before, but I ain't."

Once Tanner finished shaving, both men sat back and enjoyed the peacefulness of the place. After a while they rose slowly and made their way back to camp.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

After dinner, Chris brought the trunk out of the tent, took a rag and started cleaning it up. The antique lock hanging from the clasp, holding it closed was probably one of a kind and Chris really didn't want to break it. The initials "CL" was etched into the top.

Fingering the initials, Chris said excitedly, "This chest belonged to my great-great grandfather. I'm sure this was his homestead."

"Just makes sense." Vin was looking at the treasure chest they had uncovered, "CL would be Chris Larabee. You gonna open it?"

Chris touched the old lock. It was rusted, with bits of dirt and cobwebs embedded in it. Although he didn't want to break it, he saw no other choice and began looking around for a rock he could use. It didn't take much to break the lock, just a few well placed hits.

Inside, were some papers, letters, a couple of books and some trinkets. Larabee picked up the antique locket and opened it. Staring back a him was a likeness of himself on one side, and a woman whose face had been marred on the other. Touching the pictures reverently, he passed it to Vin. Picking up a book, he thumbed through it.

"This is my ancestor's diary." Running his fingers over it, said, "I never thought I'd ever find something like this."

Vin closed the locket and returned it to the chest. Taking the diary from Larabee, he read a few pages, sighed and returned it to his partner. "We shouldn't read this Chris, it's private."

His lover looked over at him, "Aren't you curious about what he had to say, Vin?"

"Course I am, it's just, well, I'm not sure I want to know. Hell, if the man was anything like you, he'd be real private like and these are his secret thoughts." Tanner sighed again.

"Tell you what pard, we'll read it when we get home, then put it away, but I have to know what he had to say." Picking up some papers, he glanced through them, shocked, Chris said, "Look at these deeds Vin. Look at these." He shoved them into Tanner's hand. "These are the original land grants to the property, but look at the names on them!"

Vin took the papers and read each one. Amazed he stared back at Chris, "Can it be possible?" Shaking his head, he continued, "I just can't believe this, it ain't possible!" Reading again the names on the deeds, Vin said, "Are ya going to show these to the others?" Vin touched the deeds reverently, feeling like they were a shrine, before handing them back to Larabee. Each land grant held the name of the other members of Team Seven.

"I don't know Vin, what do you think?" Glancing at his partner, "It looks like my great-great grandfather bought the other parcels. They're all signed over to him, but this one has your name on it and it hasn't been signed. It looks like you might still own a piece of the ranch."

"I don't want your home or your land, cowboy," Vin looked at him, "The question is, are we gonna tell the others."

"It appears it was yours to begin with." Larabee paused, "I don't know if we should tell the others. They're coming out Sunday, but let's think this over carefully." Picking up the diary again and thumbing through it, he continued, "Maybe the diary will explain all this." Biting his bottom lip, Larabee went on, "I'm not sure Ezra or Nathan would want to know. JD, well, I'm not sure he would even grasp the significance of it. I think Josiah might accept it at face value. He's a deeply spiritual man. Buck, well again, I just don't know."

"I reckon Buck might want to know," Vin said. "It seems he's been apart of your life forever," he grinned.

Chris hesitated, "Before we decide, let's read the diary and the letters. See what they say, then make the decision, okay?"

"Yeah, sounds good. We'll be home tomorrow, we can read them then."

"That's what we'll do." They put everything back into the trunk and closed the lid. "What do you say we go to bed? We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. I want to look that barn over before we start home."

"Okay by me, I'm curious about that boot hill, too." Vin said, rising up, he doused the fire.

"If I remember right, I think it's over by Royal's place. We'll find it." Larabee promised as he added some whisky to the last of their coffee and lit a cheroot. Both of them sat back and relaxed. It had been one hell of a day.

* 7 * 7 * 7 * 7 *

The next morning, after a breakfast of biscuits and leftover rabbit, they inspected the barn. Finding nothing of interest, they packed up and headed out for home. As they left, both men promised each other and the ghosts they would return.

He and Sarah had ridden by the cemetery the one time they'd been out this way, so he had a vague idea of where it might be located. It wasn't long before they found the old picket fence that surrounded the graveyard. As they entered the fenced-in area, they silently removed their hats and reverently touched each of the four headstones. The one on the right side had a simple inscription:

Chris Larabee
Died August 1905
A Good Man

********