PHOENIX
Michael Biehn Archive


Choose skin:

RSS

The characters belong to various production/film/TV companies. No profit is being made and no copyright infringement is intended.
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Maria V. for beta reading it for me as well as giving me the added inspiration from time to time. Also, to Jilly for planting the seed weeks ago. Feedback is always welcome!
Chapter 1: Returning Home

It was a lovely spring day, the sun was shinning, and not a cloud in the sky and the day could not have been more perfect thought Casey Wells as she sat watching the countryside pass through the window of the coach. It had been just over six months since she had left for, as Ezra would have called it, charm school, and she could not wait to return home. Sitting with a smile on her face she eagerly anticipated her arrival back in Four Corners. She had not wired to let her Aunt Nettie know of her early return because she wanted it to be a surprise her for birthday. Also, she knew her Aunt as well as Vin Tanner and the rest of the seven would not want her traveling alone all the way from St. Louis.

Casey's thoughts were of her friends, she hoped that things had not changed too much during her absence. She wondered what JD was up to, if he had gotten himself shot and if Vin and Chris had finished the new roof on the house Aunt Nettie wrote her they were attempting to fix. The decision to leave was not her own. She adamantly refused to go but Mary Travis had been talking with her Aunt and they decided the she needed to start acting more like a lady. Mary convinced Nettie that Casey should go to St.Louis; she had a friend there who would be happy to teach her proper manners and the graces of being a lady. The very thought of having to wear dresses, attend dances and social gatherings, to learn how to be a proper dignified woman suitable to marry made her skin crawl. Needless to say she and Mary did not part on the best of terms.

The stage finally rolled up in to town. Casey's stomach was full of knots, the excitement beginning to build. Will anyone recognize me? She though as the coach slowed to a halt in front of the hotel. She did look very different compared to before she left, much more grown up, and actually she had to admit she felt more grown up too. The door opened and the driver helped her out. There she stood home at last.

Over sitting in front of the saloon were Vin, Chris and Ezra having a couple of drinks and making small talk when Vin stood up out of his chair in an almost catatonic state.

"Damn! Look at her!" Chris and Ezra quickly turned to see just whom it was Vin had been so captivated by. As they turned, the beautiful woman came into view the same state of delirium came over the other two as well.

"Mister Tanner I do believe your assessment of that lovely creature is correct," drawled Ezra in that southern accent he was so famous for. Chris just stood there absolutely silent, eyes fixed on the new beauty in that just stepped into his world, thinking that if he blinked she might go away and he didn't dare take that chance.

Casey stood there looking to see who was around as her eyes came to the saloon and the three familiar men standing there staring at her. She almost leapt up on the boardwalk and ran over to them. A huge smile appeared on her face as she briskly made her way towards the gawking men. She began calling out to them as she hurried to reunite with her old friends.

"Vin, Chris, Ezra, Hi!"

"She appears to know us gentlemen, yet I don't have the faintest idea who the lovely woman is," responded Ezra as Casey came closer to them. Than all of a sudden it became obvious to Vin just who it was.

"Casey? Is that you?"

"Casey!" replied Chris and Ezra in unison looking at Vin.

"Darling, is that you?" asked Vin advancing toward her as she ran the last few steps before practically jumping into his awaiting arms.

"Hi Vin, Yeah it's me. I missed you!"

Vin had become like an older brother to Casey after the problem she and her Aunt had with Guy Royal. Vin became quite fond of Nettie and her niece. Chris and Ezra approached the two still looking bewildered at the sight of this young woman in front of them. Chris didn't know what to say. He felt like he was seventeen again, he was so taken aback by her, he just stood and stared.

"Chris, Ezra, how lovely it is to see you. I missed you!" She was tempted to reach out and hug them both but thought it might not be the appropriate thing to do.

"Why, Miss Wells, your travels seem to have instilled a small change in your appearance. I must say you look so different."

"Well, that isn't bad is it, Mr. Standish?"

"No my dear not at all. You look lovely, doesn't she, Chris?" Ezra said looking at his friend with an evil grin on his face just knowing how awkward Chris was feeling.

"Yes, you do," was about all Chris could choke out as a sudden wave of emotion began to emerge in his mind about this recently transformed woman before him. He just stood there and flashed her one of those killer smiles that could make you weak in the knees.

"Thank you, Chris," Casey said softly looking directly into the eyes of the tall, handsome gunslinger. She felt as if he were looking right through her, which caused her blush slightly turning her attention back to Vin.

"So, What are you doing back so soon?" asked Vin concerned something may have happened.

"I got tired of all of those stuffy people and ridiculous parties that I decided to come home early. But mostly I wanted to be here for Aunt Nettie's birthday; it is the day after tomorrow remember."

"Well you should have let us know you were coming in we could've met you at the train, than you wouldn't of had to travel all that way alone."

"Vin, thank you but I was fine, and a little time to myself is just what I needed."

"How long will you be residing back with your Aunt before returning to St. Louis?" Ezra asked.

"I'm not going back. I'm home for good."

The news was definitely not surprising; it pleased the men knowing she felt this town and its occupants felt like home to her. The wide grin that appeared on Chris's face was evident of that. They were all just wondering how JD was going to take the news of Casey's return.




Vin took Casey home and spent the rest of the afternoon filling her in on all that had happened while she was away. She asked about JD, but tried not to seem too eager about how her good friend was faring. Casey tried to make her trip sound her as dreadful as possible to try and coax Vin to come to her rescue if Aunt Nettie tried to send her back. They laughed and joked until Casey could hardly keep her eyes open any longer.

That night as she laid in bed, Casey's mind wandered from this to that, but mostly found herself thinking of Chris Larabee and the way he was looking at her earlier that day. His smile was transfixed in her brain and she began to wonder just what was behind that smile. For some strange reason, she felt differently towards him, he looked rather attractive in those tight black pants and gray shirt she had grown accustomed to seeing him in. This time he just seemed to have a different affect on her.

She liked it, a lot. Maybe things had changed for her while away, other than her mannerisms and her attire. Maybe she was maturing after all. Than she remembered JD, she was supposed to care for him. There just wasn't that same feeling in her stomach when she thought of him like there was before and could not explain how it was different.

Well, it didn't matter now anyway, why; she had not even laid eyes on JD since she had been back. This will seem different after a good night sleep. So, after tossing and turning for about another hour she finally pushed all of the silly thoughts of men out of her mind and fell fast asleep. She was glad to be back home.

Chris however, seemed to be having the same problem trying to get any rest that evening. He was surprised at how blasé JD had been when the news of Casey's return was broadcasted in the saloon that evening. He would have thought there would have been a little excitement emanating from the boy hearing that his girl had returned.

Thinking back on the last few months though, JD had not mentioned Casey at all, maybe her had lost interest in her. For Chris this was hardly the case. There were feelings moving through him that he had not felt in a long time. It must be something else, I cannot possibly be attracted to her, it was just the initial reaction to her looking so much more like a woman. he thought. Yes, a woman, a lovely incredibly stunning beauty with long brown hair, soft pinks lips and a seductively curved body that he would love to... No, stop it Larabee! What are you thinking! She is JD's girl. Sleep came late for Chris that night as well. It seemed that between the three of them JD was the only one not plagued by strange new desires.




Chapter 2: Nettie's Birthday

It felt as though they were cooking for an army. The guest list for the party almost instantaneously went from a few close friends and family to nearly half the town.

It was another beautiful day, perfect for a picnic. The guests were scheduled to arrive around noon and the tension was building for Casey as she tried to finish the decorations, prepare the meal and keep her mind off Chris Larabee.

The party started promptly at noon. All of the seven except Buck were in attendance, he would be arriving later, Chris had him taking care of some business in town. Mary and Billy Travis, Mrs. Potter and quite a few other friends of Nettie's were all having a great time celebrating their friend's special day.

Casey and JD had a nice conversation, catching up on various things that were going on with each other but Casey could not help glancing every now and then in the direction of the handsome, dark, tall man helping her Aunt rearrange the chairs at the table.

Casey gladly joined in a game of catch with the kids. The ball was thrown to Billy and missing it, he went running into the woods after the ball. Casey kept her eye on Billy knowing that he had a knack for getting into sticky situations, as most children his age did, saw him stop abruptly and freeze. Quickly going to see what had prompted Billy to drop all notions of retrieving the ball, she came to the same frozen position when she saw IT! Out of all of the creatures in the outdoors the only one that Casey was absolutely terrified of was SNAKES!

There, staring her and Billy in the face ready to strike at any moment was a huge rattlesnake. Slowly, Casey tried to inch Billy behind her getting him out of the range of the snake.

Vin had been watching the game but when Casey ran over to see about Billy -- and had not yet returned -- he became curious. Then he heard it, that low hiss and maddening rattle of a snake about to strike its prey. "Damn it's a rattler!" Vin said jumping up running toward the woods, Chris and JD following at a brisk pace.

"Chris!" Billy yelled as he looked back to see if there was any chance of help on the way.

"Quiet Billy, ya wanna get us killed!" threatened Casey in hushed tones. BANG! The two quickly jerked and closed their eyes afraid to see if the snake would strike. Then in a flash they were pulled out of the line of fire.

"Chris, ya saved us!" Billy yelled hugging Chris. Vin went to look at his handy work. The snake had been blown back at least two feet and was no longer a threat. Rising, Chris turned to see if Casey was all right.

"Casey, you okay?" he said touching her arm. Nothing had registered to her except the sound of the shot until she felt a hand on her arm. Looking up, she saw the concerned face of Chris Larabee. Taking her by the arm he urged her to come over and sit down under the tree. JD took Billy to Mary when it seemed everyone was out of danger.

"Thanks, I wasn't sure we were gonna make it out of that one."

"I guess you're not a big fan of snakes"

"Now what gave you that impression Mr. Larabee?" smiling at him. Casey was feeling better by the minute just taking to Chris; he didn't chastise her for doing something stupid like JD usually did. He was very adult about the whole thing, which was greatly refreshing. Standing up she took Chris's arm and they walked back to the party. JD rounded the corner of the house to see how Casey was faring after her frightening encounter with the snake when he saw her walking comfortably on Chris's arm back towards the house. Not really sure how to take what he was seeing, he just figured Casey was still a little shaken and was leaning on Chris for support.

"Look, I guess Buck made it after all." pointed Casey at the rider approaching the house.

"It looks like you're right." Chris settled Casey in a chair on the porch before going to see Buck.

"Ah, Mr. Wilmington, glad to see you are able to join us this lovely afternoon," said Ezra striding over to meet the arrival of his friend.

"Well you might not be when you hear who just rode into town."

"Why? Who is it?" Chris asked quizically.

"Trouble!" replied Buck, obviously not joking.

"Well, who is it? I'm not in the mood for guessing games Buck!" Chris said adamantly.

"Lydia and some of the other girls. Remember Wicks' girls? Now you know that as soon as Mary finds out it's gonna be hell livin' with her!"

"Shit!" was all Chris could say.

"Hello, Buck, it's nice to see you are able to make it. Nettie will be glad you came." Mary said approaching the three gunmen.

"Now come on over Nettie is about to cut the cake.

" We will be right over, Mrs. Travis." Ezra nodded as she turned and left.

"We've gotta find out what the ladies want and then persuade them to move on before Mary takes the situation into her own hands." Chris stated and the other two nodded in assent as they went to join the others for cake.




Chapter 3: Working Girls

The next morning Casey awoke feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. Almost all memories of the snake encounter the previous day were forgotten. She finished the rest of the dishes and left for town to get the things her Aunt needed from Mrs. Potter's store.

After giving Mrs. Potter her Aunt's list she had about an hour to kill so she decided to take a swing by the saloon hoping to see Chris. To her dismay as she approached the saloon she heard arguing and then across the street, her eyes fell upon JD and another woman going into the hotel. Slightly perturbed, she went to see just what all of the arguing was about. The closer she came the voices became clearer and she was able to discern the calm agitated tone of Chris Larabee and the almost frantic chattering of Mary Travis.

"I wouldn't go in there if I was you," said Buck almost startling Casey as she loomed in the doorway of the Clarion.

"What are they fighting about?"

"It seems there are some new people in town that Mary does not approve of."

"Who? And why is she arguing with Chris about it?" she asked.

"Well you see a while back some women were in a bit of a jam and they can to town looking for some help and Mary felt they didn't belong here. She wanted them gone but Chris and the rest of us decided help 'em out."

"That still doesn't explain why Mary doesn't what them here. Why would she refuse to help people in trouble?"

"Well, Casey, ya see they are, um, they are saloon girls," was the only tactful explanation he could come up with.

"You mean whores," Casey plainly said.

"Casey, that's not a nice thing to call them," Buck chastised.

"Well, what else an I supposed to call them? Never mind, what got Mary so riled up that she didn't want to help them out?"

"Well, to tell ya the truth, I think partly she was jealous that there was something between Chris and Lydia. Lydia is kind of like a mother to the girls."

Hearing this made Casey's blood boil.

First off, Chris could do much better than some whore, and secondly, for the first time, she was agreeing with Mary Travis. Those girls had to go!

"Buck? Is that girl I saw with JD one of those girls?"

"I won't lie to ya, yes it was. Her name is Emily and they met last time they were in town."

She sat down next to Buck trying to digest what she had just heard and form a game plan as how to proceed next. After all she was still a friend to JD and the last thing he need was to get mixed up with some gutter trash. The thoughts that were plaguing her the most were the thought of anyone except her with Chris, least of all a whore. She could take care of his needs better than some money grubbing tramp. She was seething when Buck tapped her on the shoulder.

"Casey? Yoo who. Are you in there?" he said giving her arm a gentle push.

"Buck, what?" she snapped.

"Simmer down there girl. JD is a big boy, he won't get himself into any trouble."

Before even realizing what was coming out of her mouth she said, "It's not JD I'm worried about, it's Chris!" That was it, cat was out of the bag now and the look on Buck's face was priceless.

"Did you just say what I--"

"Buck, please don't start with me."

"No, I just thought that you and JD, well... you know, cared for each other."

"We did, we do. I don't know anymore. Things have been different between us since I got back. I don't feel the same as I did before."

"You mean you're in Love with Chris."

"Yes, well... no. I don't think I'd call it love. It is more like very strong feelings. Oh, why am I trying to explain this to you, you are his best friend," she said very frustrated.

"Now hold on there a minute. Just 'cause we're friends don't mean I tell him everything."

"Please don't say anything, Buck. Last thing I need is a lecture from him about how I'm a sweet girl but there are plenty of other fish in the sea," pleading with Buck.

"Casey," called Mrs. Potter. "Your order is ready for ya."

"Okay. I'll be right there," she replied.

"Now, Buck, you've gotta promise not to say anything to anyone," she said turning to leave.

"Don't say anything about what," asked Vin strolling up to the two.

"Nothing, Vin, Buck and I were just talkin'."

"Vin, it seems that our little Casey here has a crush on good ol' Chris."

"Really, what happened to JD?"

"Nothing, we are still friends, I've just moved on to a more mature man that's all," she said defensively, trying to keep her composure.

"Do JD and Chris know about this?" asked Vin stifling a giggle.

Before anyone could answer Chris came tearing out of the clarion making a b-line for the saloon, not even noticing the conversation going on between the three. Casey used the distraction to make her departure.

"So what ya make of this," Vin asked watching Chris storm into the saloon.

"Well she might actually be good for Chris. Ya never know with these things. He does seem to be rather preoccupied lately. Maybe he's attracted to her too," Buck said.

"I wasn't talken about Casey, but ya might be right about one thing. Ever since she came back into town he's been actin' strange. Who knows with Chris? We gotta keep out of it though. It's between Chris and Casey."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I hate it when you're right," Buck shook his head.




Casey made her way out of town passing right by the saloon. As she passed Chris came waltzing out followed by a woman she thought to be Lydia. The look on his face and the tone in his voice gave it away. He saw Casey and acknowledged her presence with a tip of his hat and a short smile. Casey smiled and nodded in assent and smile as she passed, hoping Buck wouldn't tell Chris of her feelings for him. After all they were friends and there was nothing wrong with it.

There was never any problem with her being friends with JD before, so why should they suddenly have a problem with Chris? Casey argued with herself all the way home, not really making any headway where her feelings are concerned. The only decision she came to was that she no longer had romantic feelings for JD. Somewhere in the recent past they have become defused and were now just of a friendly nature. This, she figured was the reason why when she saw JD with Emily it didn't hit her like a two-by-four. Pulling up in front of the house she turned her attention to other more important things.




Chapter 4: Fishing for Kisses

As day of relaxation was just what Casey needed. She headed out fishing pole and a picnic lunch in hand hoping to spend the day alone with her thoughts. As she rounded the corner to the shaded area near the pond she was greeted by the barrel of a gun. The man behind the gun was on his knees, shirtless, bootless and half-asleep. Casey lurched back initially then noticed it was Chris.

"Oh God... Chris, it's me...Casey...put the gun down."

"Casey, sorry. I didn't recognize you. The sun's in my eyes."

"What are ya doin' out here anyway? Never seen much of ya out this way before."

"I guess I thought I'd get away from all of the craziness in town and catch a few winks at the same time. Not to mention it is cooler out here."

Casey had to agree with him on one point; it was cooler closer to the water. She couldn't help starring at him. She had never seen him without his shirt; he was beautiful, firmly toned arms, smooth muscular chest, and rippling stomach. How she longed to reach out and touch his soft skin to have it pressed against her own. Suddenly, Chris moved and she came out of her trance.

"Well I'll just go over here and leave ya be. I'll try to keep quiet so you can sleep," she said as she began to walk away.

"No, you don't have to go, not if you don't want to. A little company might be nice."

"Well, if you don't think I'll be a bother, sure I'd like the company too."

Casey moved closer to Chris laying her blanket down beside him. She removed her boots and took her pole and advanced toward the pond. Chris had laid back down placing his hat over his face to keep the light out while sleeping. Sleep didn't last long for Chris as he heard the faint sound of singing coming from the pond. He decided to see what Casey was up to.

As he came upon the edge of the water he saw her, head tilted back, eyes closed, dangling her feet in the water and her blouse unbuttoned to allow the breeze from the water cool her hot skin, humming a soft tune and contently enjoying the day.

Casey, unaware of Chris's presence leaned back on the bank of the pond humming in her own little world until she felt little drops of water on her face. Opening her eyes she found her self being pelted by water droplets. The sun being in her eyes she could not see just how she was getting so wet. Than all of a sudden she heard a laugh.

"Chris Larabee, that's not funny!" Laughing uncontrollably now, Chris stepped back and lost his balance falling right into the pond. Standing up Casey looked over to make sure he was all right. When she saw the gunslinger sitting there in the water laughing, she couldn't hold back the snickering any longer.

"Now, that's funny," she pointed at him as he got to his feet. The very sight of him made her mouth water; those tight black pants of his now looked as though they were painted on him and the way the water glistened on his firm his chest. She thought she had died and gone to heaven.

"So, you think that is funny do ya?" he said approaching her.

"Chris, what are you doin'?" she said attempting to back away. He was too quick for her though and in fast move he grabbed for her arm sending her flying into the water.

"Chris, what, why?" was all she could say through the laughter.

"Well you were looking rather warm sitting there and I thought you could use some cooling down."

He took her hand and helped her out of the water when she splashed him and ran up towards the trees. Chris wasn't gonna take that and went charging after her. She hid behind a big tree thinking she was safe from him, but as she peeked out to see if he was coming he grabbed her. His arms around her waist the two went crashing to the ground.

Lying there both soaking wet and laughing, Chris was almost on top of her. He looked into her eyes and with out saying a word he slowly moved down towards her placing his lips on hers. Casey rose up to meet him returning the kiss with as much desire as Chris had brought forth.

Casey moaned as Chris hungrily devoured her, his tongue boldly entering her hot sweet mouth, delighting in their passionate dance. Casey ran her hands up Chris's back sending electrified sensations up his spine causing him to moan into her mouth. As the kiss ended Chris slowly pulled away looking into her eyes. He ran his thumb across her lips, outlining them, he paused as she kissed his thumb as it settled in the middle of her lower lip. The two just smiled at each other knowing in their hearts that it was right.

Just as Chris leaned down to kiss Casey again he stopped. He heard a strange sound, like something was sloshing around in the water. He kissed her quickly and helped her up turning to see what the noise was. Protectively, he kept Casey behind him in case of danger as the two advanced towards the water only to see that Casey had caught a fish.

"Well, I guess you caught one," Chris said grinning. Casey had totally forgotten about the pole as a result of the water fight.

Chris plopped down on to the blanket pulling Casey with him. Normally, he would not consider acting in such a way with a woman but he just couldn't help himself today, not with Casey. Casey descended on to the blanket next to Chris as he gently pulled her closer to him. The two were both soaking wet but did not seem to care. Casey lay back on Chris's outstretched arm, her hand resting on his chest, while Chris lay on his side his arm across her stomach. Both lay, eyes shut, in the shade of the tree, breeze blowing just reliving the kiss from a few moments ago. But the silence was maddening. Casey wanted to say something just not sure what, she didn't want to sound stupid, so she asked his if he was hungry.

"Chris, ya hungry?"

"Sure, but I think your fish got away."

"No, not fish. I brought lunch, there was plenty of extra food from the party. In the mood for fried chicken?"

"Sounds great!" he said with a smile.

The tension was broken and after filling up on fried chicken and chocolate cake, Casey decided to take a walk around the pond, figuring Chris would be in the mood for another nap. He decided to go with her. They were having a nice time talking, getting to know each other. Casey was walking along the edge on the rocks when she almost lost her balance, but Chris's strong hand caught her just in time. The two continued hand in hand deep in conversation mostly about their childhood's and as it turned out, they actually had quite a bit in common.

This was a side of Chris she had never seen before and was one she was looking forward to seeing again. She wondered if this was how it was for him and Sarah, almost inwardly jealous of how truly special their relationship must have been. Casey also felt tremendous anger toward Ella Gaines for taking the sparkle out of this man's eyes, killing his spirit. The only good side to the situation was that now she was able to bring that light back into Chris's eyes, to have the chance to make him happy again.

Upon their return, they decided that they better get back as it was getting late. Both dressed and pack their belongings, each peering in the direction of the other and wondering what the other was thinking. Chris saddled their horses and as he came over to say that Casey's mount was ready she turned to face him. He took her face in his hands and carefully placed a sensual kiss on her lips. Her arms descended to his waist as she returned his affectionate kiss. Chris looked at her caressing her face.

"Chris, I had a wonderful time today."

"So did I. we should do it again some time."

Casey kissed him again reaffirming her feelings for him and he then helped her on her horse. He rode with her back to the house, wanting to make sure she arrived home safely. Chris smiled, tipped his hat, turned and rode back to town.




Chapter 5: Confrontation

In the Clarion office late that afternoon was Mary Travis, sitting at her desk trying to finish the necessary items needed for next week's paper. Her concentration was strained to say the least due to the conversation she had earlier with Lydia. She had found out the reasons for the women's return to town. It seemed that Lydia had two reasons for returning to Four Corners.

First, she and the other women had made quite a bit of money in San Francisco and decided to return to the area and open up a reputable hotel. Second, she wanted Chris Larabee. She was absolutely infuriated at the prospect of having to share her town and her friends. The pencil in Mary's hand had inadvertently snapped in two.

Meanwhile, in the saloon, Buck and Vin were involved in a serious game with Ezra when JD came in looking like he just lost his best friend.

"Hey, Kid, up a little late last night?" kidded Buck as JD strolled over to the bar to get a drink.

"Not now, Buck, please."

"What's the matter, Kid?" Vin asked as JD planted himself in the chair next to him.

"Nothin', everythin', I don't know?"

The three other men looked at each other and responded in unison, "Women!"

"How'd you know?" he asked.

"Well, son, all of the signs are there, loss if appetite, dower moods, uncertainty, and believe me I have learned to spot trouble such as yours a mile away. Maybe not quite as quickly as Mr. Wilmington, but I know it when I see it," Ezra said therapeutically shuffling his cards, Buck smiling.

"So, Mr. Dunne, does this mean that we will soon be receiving invitations to the blessed event?" Ezra asked, a big grin splayed across his handsome face.

"What are you talkin 'bout Ezra?"

"My dear boy, does this mean that you and the lovely, Miss Wells will be tying the knot soon, so to speak?"

"Casey, I wasn--"

"Hell, Ezra, Casey'd walk down the aisle with Chris before she'd even consider walking down the street with JD," Buck said, interrupting JD as he drank the last of his beer. Vin just looked down shaking his head after hearing what Buck just let slip out.

"Oh damn, did I just say Chris? What I meant to say is, Casey wouldn't MISS walkin' down the aisle with you."

"No, you didn't Buck, spit it out, what are you sayin about Casey?"

"Yes, Mr. Wilmington, inquiring minds would like to know," Ezra drawled, eagerly anticipating Buck's explanation. Buck looked over to Vin for help.

"Don't look at me, you got into this one yourself!" Vin adamantly said returning his attention to his beer, occasionally glancing in JD's direction.

"Come on, Buck, are you telling me Casey's in love with Chris?"

"Yes, well no, uh, JD I think you need to talk this over with Casey," Buck said inching his way out of the saloon, JD standing there his mouth hanging open.

"Vin, did you know about this?"

"Hey, Kid, I'm not getting in the middle of this. You best go talk to Casey 'bout it," and he up to get another drink.

"Ezra, what do ya think I should do?"

"I'd say I have to agree with Vin and Buck, you need to talk to Casey about this, but first I think you need to decide how you feel about this before inviting an even bigger problem."

Just as Ezra finished his sentence Chris walked in, in rather a good mood too. "Well speak of the devil, Mr. Larabee, how are you this evening?"

"Just fine, Ezra. Hey Kid, how are ya?" JD ignored Chris and stormed out.

"What's with him?" Chris asked wondering what had gotten into him.

"Who knows, you know how the young ones are," Ezra responded. He wasn't gonna give that one away for anything. He could just see the look on Chris's face when JD confronts him about Casey... and Buck too, when Casey finds out he spilled the beans.

Chris just shrugged it off, he was having too good of a day to let anything bother him now.

"Hey Vin."

"Chris, where you been all day? I got some interesting news for ya."

"Please, Vin, if it's bad news, save it. I had a nice relaxing day and I just want to enjoy it a little longer." The two made their way to an empty table in the corner.

"Ya sure you don't wanna know? It might be important."

"Alright, Vin, let's have it."

"Mary and Lydia got into it this mornin' and it seems that the ladies are planning on openin' up a hotel out here somewheres in the area. I'm sure you can figure how that went over with Mary."

"Oh God!"

"That wasn't the only thing that Mary was worked up about either."

"So, what else could possibly have Mary up in arms?"

"I heard Lydia askin' if you two were involved yet?"

"What, me and Mary?"

"Yeah! I seem you're the other reason Lydia came back to town."

The news about Lydia seemed to annoy him more that anything. He knew he could handle her, he just didn't want Casey to get hurt if she were to see Lydia making a pass at him. Chris was so deep in thought that he did not hear Lydia come in the saloon. She saw the two familiar men seated in the corner and made her way over to them. Smiling at Vin, she made herself comfortable right on Chris's lap. His thoughts of Casey immediately evaporated as Lydia came to rest in his lap.

"Excuse me is this seat taken?" she said trying to be coy.

"Yes it is," he said pushing her off of him.

"What can we do for ya, Lydia?" Vin asked.

"Well... now that you ask..." she said eyeing Chris, but he cut her off before she could finish.

"Don't you think you ladies should be moving on now?"

"Chris, is that any way to treat an old friend?"

"Quit playing around, Lydia. Just what is it you want?"

"Beside some respect and a profitable business? I want you!" she said point blank to his face. Vin was just sitting in silence enjoying the show, as was Ezra from across the room.

Chris began to get up, not breaking eye contact with Lydia who just stood there with a smug look on her face, "Get over it, Lydia, I'm not up for grabs. Now you best be moving on now before things get out of hand here." He turned and started making his way out of the saloon when her heard her yell back to him,

"Maybe not right now, Mr. Larabee, but you will. I'm not going anywhere just yet."

Chris went back to his room at the boarding house determined not to let the little episode ruin his good mood. He drifted off into a pleasant sleep, his dreams full of he and Casey happily together on a warm spring day, relaxing without a care in the world. Until JD finds out, he figured.




Chapter 6: Comfort

Casey had awoken late the following morning, too comfortable in her warm bed to move she lay replaying the previous day's events. Finally, she dragged herself in time to make breakfast for her and Nettie. She had some chores to do indoors that morning, and Nettie had a few things to tend to in the barn.




In town, things seemed to be going normal for its occupants. Ezra was in the saloon deeply involved in a lucrative card game when he heard screams. The voice sounded all too familiar. He jumped up running out to see if he was correct in his assessment. To his dismay, he was; it was Casey Wells, crying frantically for help as she tried to keep control of the wagon. Nathan was the only other one of the seven in attendance and had come to see what all of the commotion was about.

"Ezra, Nathan! Help, it's Aunt Nettie, she's hurt!" she tried to say, almost out of breath as she pulled the wagon to a stop in front of the men awaiting her. Nathan jumped in the back with Nettie as Ezra jumped up front with Casey taking the reins from her. She sat sideways; firmly holding onto him with one hand while the other grasped her aunt's hand as Ezra took them to Nathan's clinic.

The two took Nettie into Nathan's. Ezra sat outside with Casey as they waited for Nathan to examine her. Casey was almost frantic, not knowing what to do or what to think. He tried to comfort her, by putting his arm around her, as they stood there, just waiting. She couldn't just stand there and do nothing, so she began pacing up and down the stairs. Just as she was about to start back up, she saw JD with that Emily woman. JD saw Casey too and became worried at her obvious distress. Emily went into the hotel and JD went over to see what was wrong. As he approached, he saw Ezra waiting upstairs and knew that it was something bad.

"Casey, what's wrong?"

"Oh, JD, it's Aunt Nettie, there was an accident."

"Geese, is she alright? Does Vin know?"

She almost forgot about Vin. He would want to know. "No, he doesn't. Do you know where he is? And have you seen Chris?" she asked.

"Chris? Now Casey, you don't need Chris, there is nothing he can do for you," JD returned.

"And just what makes you an expert on what I need!"

"Come on, Casey, what could Chris possibly do that wouldn't end in you getting' hurt?"

"Well, JD, it may be beyond your grasp, but the world does not revolve around you. I have many other friends, and besides, and how dare you try and tell me who I want to associate with, JD. You don't know anything about it!"

"Casey, I'm not!" he countered.

"Oh really, then what do you call telling me that Chris is wrong for me? You have no real idea what I want or need."

"I know you need someone who isn't gonna up and leave ya when he finds something better somewhere else!"

"JD, I never asked you to judge me, just be my friend; and where is all of this hatred toward Chris coming from?"

"Buck said you were in love with him and, Casey, I'm telling you he is wrong for you."

"Buck! Oh just wait 'til I get my hands... well, JD, for your information I do have feelings for Chris! They are between him and me so mind your own business. I'm tired of you telling me what to do and how to act, since when did you be come the authority on proper etiquette anyway? It looks as though you have been keeping yourself busy while I was gone anyway. Why don't you go and play house with your whore and leave me alone!" she said her voice full of anger and resentment.

Casey went back upstairs and just looked at Ezra with tears in her eyes. He felt sorry for her; this confrontation with JD was the last thing she needed right now. Ordinarily, he would have enjoyed seeing JD's and Casey battle it out over Chris, but today in the middle of town was not the time or place for it. Ezra was about to hug her and tell her everything was going to be all right when the door opened and Nathan came out.

"Nathan? How is she?" Casey asked.

"She was very lucky but she has a concussion as well as a few broken ribs, but I think that she'll be okay."

Relief swept over the two as Casey rushed past Nathan into the room to her aunt's side. "She's asleep now, I gave her some morphine for the pain. She need rest," Nathan said.

Ezra went to find Vin and inform the other men of Nettie's condition. He didn't get far, the news of Nettie's condition -- as well as JD and Casey's argument -- had spread like wildfire. He ran into Josiah and Buck who told him that Mrs. Potter went to get Mary and the others.

Moments later, Vin and Chris came charging into the room. Vin came up to the other side of the bed and took Nettie's hand and asked Casey what happened. Chris came up behind her putting his hand on her shoulder. Casey turned looked at him and slid into his awaiting arms and began to cry. She had been so strong this whole time, but seeing Chris she knew everything would be all right and felt she could let it out now. He just held her whispering "Everything's gonna be all right, I'm here now," kissing her forehead.

Mary, as well as the rest of the seven except for JD, was standing in the doorway not really sure how to handle the affection being displayed by the two friends. JD came up to see how things were going and saw the same sight the others were witnessing. He knew Casey was right about what she had said earlier, and but he was hurt when he saw her there in Chris's arms. He turned and left.

Lydia almost knocked JD down on the stairs going to find out what had happened. She had gone to look for Chris in the saloon when Inez told her he was at Nathan's. Afraid he was hurt, she ran straight there. She stopped in her tracks when she came upon the same scene JD had as she stood in the doorway.




Chapter 7: Explanations

With Casey still clinging to Chris, he motioned to Vin to look at the doorway. Vin knew exactly what Chris wanted and went to shoo away the seven people gawking at Chris, Casey and Nettie. After closing the door Vin returned and Casey pulled slightly away from Chris.

"It's all my fault. I should've been workin' in the barn not her," she said through the sobs.

"No, It's not your fault. No one could have known," the men said. Chris gently placing a kiss on her damp cheek. He moved to the chair beside the bed and pulled Casey onto his lap. Vin sat on the bed next to Nettie. Casey sat, brushed her tears from her face with one hand while tightly holding Chris's with the other. His hand was carefully rubbing her back as he glanced back and forth between her and Nettie.

"I was taken care of some things in the house when I heard a loud Bang, or Crash, something, and Aunt Nettie screamed. I ran out and found her barely conscious lying on the ground clutching her side and two of the horses were running towards the hills. So, I carefully got her into the wagon and came for Nathan," Casey said, trying to keep her composure.

"It's okay, darlin', you did the right thing. If only Nettie would have left it 'til later. I told her I'd get to it this week," added Vin, concerned for his friend.

"What did Nathan say?" inquired Chris.

"She has a concussion and a couple of broken ribs, but he thinks she'll be okay. he gave her some morphine for the pain and said she needed rest. She will be all right though, won't she?" she asked looking at both Chris and Vin.

"She sure will, Casey, she's a tough old woman, your aunt. Don't worry," Vin said patting her hand. "I think I best go and make sure everything is intact back at the house, see if I can find them two stubborn horses. I think you better stay here in town tonight just to be safe."

"All right, Vin, I want to stay close anyway, just in case something happens here."

"I'm not goin' anywhere, Vin, I'll take good care of her," Chris said. Casey gave Vin a big hug, thanking him for his concern for her and Nettie. Vin was a very good friend to both of them; sometimes they didn't know what they'd do with out him.

Vin left, and Casey returned to Chris's awaiting embrace. She was scared, but having Chris there made her feel safe and she did not want him to leave.

"Have you had lunch yet?"

She shook her head No.

"You need to eat so I'm just gonna run over the saloon and have Inez make us up some sandwiches and than I'll be right back. Okay?" Both standing, he looked at into her tear-filled eyes, seeing the sadness there and took her face in his hands. Casey's hand covered one of his as the other encircled his waist.

He was inches from her, "I want to take care of you, Casey," he whispered, his lips softly brushing hers. Deftly, his lips touched hers in a sensual passionate kiss which seemed to last an eternity.

As Chris broke the kiss, he looked to her for a sign that it was safe for him to leave. Casey nodded; hugging him tightly, her head nuzzling his neck, then planted a soft gently kiss on his neck and sat back in the chair to wait with her aunt until his return.

Before Chris was even out the door, he wondered how he had come to care for Casey so much. He didn't think anyone would tug at his heart the way the Sarah had.

Could I have possibly been able to put this loss behind me and move on? he wondered. For Casey's sake he hoped it was true. He knew that a part of him would always love Sarah, but now he was going to concentrate on making Casey and himself happy.

Chris hadn't even reached to bottom of the stairs before the arguments started. Mary was waiting for him and she was slightly annoyed.

"Not now, Mary. I don't want to fight about the women," Chris stated firmly.

"I'm not here to talk about the women. We need to talk about Casey."

"Casey is fine. No need to worry."

"I'm sure she is, but what I'm concerned about is her relationship to you."

Stopping and turning to look directly at her, "What goes on between Casey and me is our business and no concern of yours."

"It does become my concern when the whole town witnesses an argument about the two of you."

"What are you talking about, Mary?"

"Earlier, before the rest of us arrived, Casey and JD had it out right in the middle of the street. It seems that Buck told him she was in love with you and she didn't deny it. It just about crushed him. Then seeing the two of you back there confirmed the whole thing. Now half the town is talking about it."

"Buck? What does Buck have to do with this? That's not the point. The point is no matter what was said between Casey and JD the fact remains that it has nothing to do with you. Besides, Mary, I think that it is pretty damn hypocritical of you to go around promoting equal opportunity and rights for everyone when you won't even celebrate the happiness two people you call friends have finally found." Chris turned and continued to the saloon.

"God Damn, this day is just getting worse!" Chris said to himself as he saw Lydia approaching him. He kept walking hands on his gun belt, head hung low.

"Chris, can we talk?" Lydia asked quietly. Stopping in front of her, he motioned to the bench out front on the saloon.

Sitting beside him, Lydia asked him point blank. "Who is she and what is she to you?"

"None of your business. I already told you there is and never will be anything between us, so stop it and leave me be."

He rose to leave when she countered, "She could never make you happy. I know what you need."

"Why is it that everyone today seems to think they know what is right for either of us. And Lydia, whatever it is you think you can give me, any woman could, but what I really need, only Casey can give me!" With that he pushed past her and went to get his and Casey's lunch.




Chapter 8: New Love

By dinnertime Nettie had begun to wake up; she was in pain but her prognosis was good. Casey was exhausted and hungry; it had been hours since Chris had returned with lunch. He was really wonderful; he never left her side. The two talked for the greater part of the afternoon, Casey dozed off now and again, but managed to stay awake a good portion of the time.

Vin had returned from checking the house around the time Nettie was waking up. He was happy to see she was holding her own. Motioning to Chris, Vin suggested that he should take Casey to get some dinner as well as sleep.

Nettie was surprised to see Chris Larabee there when she awoke. Seeing how caring and compassionate he was with her niece warmed her heart. She respected Chris Larabee; he was a loyal, trustworthy man, much like his friend Vin Tanner. She never saw this side of him before; he was always so quiet, to the point. It seemed Casey was having a profound affect on him.

Chris and Casey left Nettie in Vin's care for the night and they went back to the boarding house Chris stayed to have dinner. Chris could see she was a little worse for wear, so he had her rest in the living room while he went to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

Much to her surprise, he was a rather good cook. The meal was delicious and she helped him clear the table and wash the dishes. This was all too familiar to Chris; he remembered how he would help Sarah with the dishes after Adam was born. However, the memory was less painful this time; he smiled at his thoughts of he and Casey sharing this daily routine together.

After dinner, Casey was in the living room looking out the window. She heard the faint clicking sound of Chris's spurs on the floor and moments later felt his arms come around her. "You should get some rest, you need to keep up your strength," he whispered, his mouth against her ear.

Casey wanted him to stay with her, to bring all of these new emotions she was feeling alive. She wanted him, wanted him to make love to her.

Turning and taking his hand in hers, she moved over to the stairs. Smiling, Chris looked into her eyes, her free hand gently touching his cheek, "Chris, stay with me. Please!" Before he knew it, he was carrying this beautiful innocent woman upstairs.

Closing the door with his foot, Chris carried Casey over near the bed. Carefully, setting her down as he went to remove his gunbelt. His actions were halted as he felt Casey's hands covered his reaching for the buckle. Looking directly into her eyes he felt her hand sliding down his thigh, undoing the string holding it in place. Her touch igniting smoldering desires deep within. Capturing her mouth with his, Chris delighted in her sweet flavor as his hands began working the buttons of her blouse.

Making quick work of Chris's gunbelt, Casey turned her attention to his shirt; she wanted to feel his velvety soft skin again. Pulling the shirt from his pants, she began unbuttoning it. As she reached the last button, her hands slipped under the soft fabric to the muscles of his firm chest. Chris let out a low groan as she ran her hands over his chest and around to his shoulders, sending the shirt tumbling to the floor.

Feeling one of Chris's strong hands cup her breast, Casey gasped at his touch, closing her eyes as he gently kneaded the smooth flesh, torturing the soft pink nipple with his fingers, his mouth nibbling her neck.

Teetering closer to the bed, Chris's hands slid down her creamy back meeting her waist and her skirts. His nimble fingers worked the fabric away from her body, sending it to the floor along with the rest of their clothes. Cautiously reclining back on to the bed, Casey's gaze never leaving the beautiful man before her, she pushed away any feeling of embarrassment. Casey reached out to Chris inviting him closer. The heartwarming gesture causing his arousal to deepen, wanting to be freed from the confines of his tight pants. Chris stepped back slightly, as he hastened to remove his boots, instantly followed by his tight in all the right places jeans. Moving onto the bed in one sleek cat like movement, Chris draped himself along her ample frame, as her ran one hand along her soft thigh, causing her to shiver slightly as his capable hands eagerly roamed her body.

Trailing kisses down her neck to her breasts, he took one of her nipples into his mouth, swirling it with his tongue, feverishly suckling her. Casey's hands racked through Chris's hair, she moaned deeply, arching up to his awaiting mouth. Repeating the same task on her other breast, Chris's hand drifted down her stomach to her center, carefully easing his fingers between the softness of her thighs, as he plunged his fingers inside her moist heat.

Gasping out loud, Casey tried to pull away the sensation, which was all new to her. Throwing her head back and grasping the sheets, Casey quickly began rocking against Chris's diligent hand. Marveling at the woman with him, Chris could not believe the affect that she was having on him, his own desire growing stronger and stronger as his erection pounded louder in his ears. He needed her soon.

Chris hungrily took Casey's mouth as her hands explored the muscles of his back, coming to rest on his buttocks, tenderly squeezing the satiny flesh. The effect of Chris's ministrations on her body were beginning to send shock waves through her and in a ragged breath, she called out his name, "Chris!" Hearing his name on her lips almost sent him over the edge. Sliding his fingers out of her, she quickly protested, "Oh, Chris, please don't stop." Rubbing his thick erect penis over her swollen button he positioned himself over her entrance.

"No, darling, I won't" he whispered as he readied himself.

Being her first time, Chris wanted it to be as perfect for her as possible. "Darling, this is going to hurt a little, but it will soon fade away. Just tell me if I hurt you."

His face in her hands, "You could never hurt me Chris." Watching her, he slowly entered her, meeting her resistance, he painfully thrusted through, breaking her barrier, embedding himself deep inside her.

Casey let out a loud cry; looking to see if he had hurt her, Chris saw a smile came across her face telling him she was fine as he began fervently devouring her mouth.

Wrapping his arms around her he quickly turned Casey now on top as he rested his hands on her hips painstakingly easing her movements. Running her hands over his chest, Casey deepened the kiss causing Chris to moan into her hot, sweet mouth. His hands captured her breasts, massaging them, eliciting deep moans from her, her fingers digging into Chris's hips a she felt her release coming.

Quickening the pace, Chris knew he could not wait much longer. Looking into her eyes and with one last powerful thrust, he spilled himself into her. Feeling her tightness around his penis he thought he was going mad, the sensation absolutely rocking his senses. As Chris's release hit Casey, hers followed with pulsating mind numbing speed, sending her spiraling. Chris's arms hugging her tightly, he silenced their cries of passion with one final earth-shattering kiss.

Casey laid spent in his embrace, both of their breaths labored, reveling in the intense display of emotion brought forth by one another. The couple relaxed in their new found love.

"Chris?" Casey asked with a hint of concern in her voice as she looking up at him.

"What is it?" he replied moving a piece of hair from her face.

"I, well. What... I..?"

"I know," he calmly said, looking at her, his eyes filled with emotion.

"You don't have to say it. I feel the same way too. The moment I saw you get off that stage I knew. I knew how much I needed you."

"When I saw you that same day I felt things I had never felt before. For the first time, I knew JD and I weren't meant to be together; you and I were. I think that maybe it was you all along. I was just afraid of you." Chris shifted to his side, resting on his elbow.

"Afraid of me, why?"

"Well, your past I guess, the way you always brooded around all of the time, I was scared you'd yell at me, when all I wanted to do was comfort you. To see that smile of yours and the way it lights up your face," she said, her voice diminishing, looking down almost about to cry.

"Casey!" he said, cautiously as he lifted her face to meet his. He kissed her on the forehead and hugged her close. "I didn't mean scare you. I just needed to deal with everything that has happened with Ella and Sarah and Adam's death. I'm beginning to understand that Sarah would want me to move on with my life and try to be happy."

"Chris, is this wrong? I mean, is what we are feeling wrong? I've never felt this way before, not even with JD." Casey said glancing downward, outlining a small scar on Chris's stomach.

" No, it's not wrong, darling," he said, taking her hand, placing soft kisses on her fingers. " I think we should just take it slow. I want this to feel right for the both of us. No regrets."

"The only regret I have is I didn't realize it sooner. I love you Chris!"

Softly caressing her face he looked deep in to her eyes as he replied, "I love you too, Casey," kissing her passionately to affirm his feelings for her.




Later that evening, Lydia, against her better judgement, decided to go and soothe Chris's nerves. She quietly made way up to his room at the boarding house. It being so quiet she figured he was sleeping. Slowly, she opened the door and just as she was about to seductively sashay into the room she stopped dead in her tracks. The sight before her almost knocked the wind out of her.

Right in front of her was Casey Wells lying on Chris, the sheet to her waist, Chris's strong arms cradling her in an embrace. Tenderly he was caressing the smooth skin of her lower back as Casey planted featherlight kisses on his chest. A soft groan escaped Chris's lips as he lay in complete bliss.

It was a moment before the two realized someone was in the room. Like a flash Chris grabbed his gun, protectively pulling Casey behind him sheltering her from any possible danger.

The door swung shut and Lydia was gone. Jumping up, Chris wrapped the quilt from the bed around his waist and ran for the door commanding Casey to stay put. Terrified, Casey huddled under the covers praying for Chris's speedy return.

Just as he reached the stairs, Chris was able to stop the intruder. Seeing it was Lydia, he slowly lowered his gun.

"Don't say anything, Chris. I know I was wrong, I'm sorry. When saw the two of you just now I knew what you meant when you said she was the only one who could give you what you needed. There's no need to make a big thing out of this, the girls and I will be leaving in the morning."

"Lydia, you'll find your happiness some day," he replied, sympathetically.

"Maybe, Goodbye, Chris Larabee. That Casey Wells is one lucky lady." Lydia turned and left.

As the door swung open Casey flinched, relaxing as she realized it was Chris, she sat up and watched as he placed his gun on the bedside table and slid back into bed next to her.

"Is everything all right? Who was it?" she asked, almost shaking.

"Yeah, everything is fine. It was Lydia," he said, trying to hug her.

"Lydia!" Casey growled, pushing him back. "What? How can everything be fine? What did she want?"

Pulling her closer, trying to calm her, her replied, "She wanted to say goodbye."

"Goodbye. You mean she's leaving!" her tone instantly turning to excitement.

"Yes, she and the other girls are leaving in the morning."

Happy with what she had just heard, Casey snuggled up to Chris, kissing his neck, "That is the best new I've heard all night!" she whispered between kisses. Holding her tightly, the two lovers drifted off into a peaceful, contented sleep.




Chapter 9: Realization

It had been two days since the accident, and Nettie was starting to feel like herself again. Although she was regaining her strength, Nathan still wanted her to stay in town for another couple of days; just to be sure she was out of the woods.

Chris and Casey took advantage of this, spending all of their free time together. They were very discreet about their relationship as not to damage Casey reputation in any way. That morning, Chris was on patrol so after checking in with Nettie, Casey decided to go and spend some time with a friend of hers.

Mary Travis decided to see how Nettie was faring after finishing her morning chores. The widow wanted to talk to her about Casey and her future in Four Corners. In her mind, she had successfully rid herself and the town of Lydia and the working girls, now all she had to do was get Casey back to St. Louis. She was surprised to see Nettie was up and moving around a bit as she came into Nathan's clinic.

"Nettie are you sure you should be up?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Just a little stiff that's all," the older lady replied.

After a few minutes of casual chatting, Mary finally got to the point of visit.

"Nettie, don't you think it's time Casey started back for St. Louis?" suggested Mary.

"I don't know, Mary, she seem pretty happy here, don't ya think?"

Yeah, too happy and too cozy with Chris! the widow thought to herself. Turning towards Nettie, "I just thought she'd be more content back with her new friends that's all."

"No, Mary. Don't you mean you'd be more content with her gone? I may have been out of it for the past few days but I still know what's going on around here. Casey is quite taken with Mr. Larabee and my guess is you don't approve for some reason. This, I gather, is because you'd rather see yourself with Chris. I'm not blind, Mary, I see the way you look at him."

"Nettie, please, that is absurd. I assure you, my feeling for Chris are of a purely friendly nature."

"Mary, who are you trying to convince, me or yourself? Isn't that why you got to riled up when them Wicks' girls came to town, 'cause that one was eyein' Chris?" Nettie said, in an almost motherly tone, standing over Mary, who was now sitting.

Mary didn't want to admit anything, but damn, if Nettie hadn't hit the nail right on the head!

"Mary?" Nettie said, questioningly.

"Well, Nettie, I guess you may have a point or two, but I still don't think they are right for each other."

"Mary, this isn't for you, or me for that matter to decide. It is up the Good Lord. Now why don't you try being happy and supportive of your two friends, before ya loose 'em? We don't always get what we want in life; we just do the best with what we are given. Chris has been given a second chance at love and he'd be a fool not to take it. Just like you'd be a fool to lose two good friends over your constant need to be in control. Let it go, Mary, and let them love each other."

"I guess you're right, Nettie. Easier said than done though."

"If everything in life were easy, my dear, life would be awful boring." Nettie said giving Mary a hug as she prepared to leave.

After coming to the conclusion that she and Chris Larabee were destined to never be together, Mary solemnly made her way back to the Clarion. Just as she crossed the street she almost collided with the two people she had been hurting the most in the past few days.

"Chris, Casey, can I have a word with you please?" she asked.

"Mary, please, we aren't in the mood for an argument today," Chris said, tension in his voice.

"Good... neither am I. I just wanted to apologize to the both of you for my actions lately. It was unfair of me to act that way. Your relationship is none of my business. I want to wish you two all the best and I hope that both of you are very happy together," the widow choked out.

Chris and Casey look at each other slightly shocked. Chris kept his arm tightly around Casey's waist showing his support as he accepted Mary's apology on behalf of them both.

"Thank you," was all Casey could say. Mary nodded and made her way back her office.

"Well, two down, only one left to go," Chris said, as he and Casey continued down to the livery.

"I don't think JD is going to be as easy going about this as Mary and Lydia were," Casey commented. "I could just strangle Buck for opening his big mouth," she continued.

"Good 'ol Buck. Gotta love 'im," Chris chuckled.

"Chris, he totally embarrassed me. What are you laughing about?" slugging him in the side, as she brushed past him into the barn.

Chris hot on her heels, pulled Casey to the side pinning her against the wall, his weight fully against her. "Don't worry darlin'. Buck won't get off that easy for embarrassing my girl!" he said, just before kissing the annoyed look off her face.

"Mmmm. Chris? Is this how it's gonna be every time we get into an argument, you kissing me?"

"With any luck darlin' it will be much better!" he said, an evil grin appearing on his face.

Kissing him again, "Good!" "I think I'm gonna enjoy arguing with you, Mr. Larabee!" Casey said, smiling happily at the man she had fallen in love with.

Before going and saddling their horses, Chris and Casey had a little meeting of the minds. The two decided to spend the afternoon together relaxing and enjoying their company out at a secret place Chris had found just outside of town.




Chapter 10: Beginnings

The early morning rays of light peeked through the window, breaking the dark silence of the small room at the boarding house in town. There, lying together in the warmth of the sun were Chris and Casey, carefully spooned in a loving embrace. Casey awoke in this comfortable scene, feeling her lover's arm around her waist. She covered his hand with hers and smiled at Chris's response to her touch as he hugged her closer. Feeling his soft breath on her neck elicited instantaneous flashes of their lovemaking the night before.

Never had she been this happy. These glad thoughts momentarily lapsed as she realized that today was their last day together before returning to the ranch with Aunt Nettie. Because of this, Casey decided to make it a special one for both her and Chris. It was going to be strange waking up in the morning with out him in the morning; she had grown accustomed to having him close by. Just as Casey began to daydream about how she was hoping their life together would be like; she felt Chris's gentle lips on her shoulder.

"Good morning beautiful."

"Mmmm... Good morning yourself, Mr. Larabee," she said, turning to face him.

"Where's that beautiful smile that's usually shining on your lovely face darlin'?"

"Chris? What are you talkin' about? I'm smiling."

"Yeah, but I get the impression that something's bothering you. What is it?"

"It's nothing. Really, I was just thinking how today is our last day together cause tomorrow I have to take Aunt Nettie home. I'm just gonna miss you, that's all." He tenderly kissing her forehead, still holding her tightly.

"I know honey, but it'll just be for a few days. Then we'll be together again. Don't worry."

"I know you're right, Chris, but what if Aunt Nettie wants to send me back to St. Louis? The very thought of being away from you for a few days is driving me crazy, but the thought of having to leave you indefinitely makes me sick."

"No! You're not going anywhere. I won't let you leave and neither will Vin for that matter. You are home now, for good!" he said, definitively.

Casually tracing circles on Chris's shoulder, Casey looked up into the green eyes of the tall gunslinger holding her close, a large grin splayed across her sweet mouth.

"So, Mr. Larabee, do you have any plans this morning?"

"No," he curiously responded.

"Good."

"Casey? Just what do you have in mind, Miss Wells?" his grin equalling her own.

"I was thinking a little breakfast in bed," she said giggling.

"Why Casey, I do believe I've created a monster," Chris said, brazenly pulling Casey under him.




Around noon Chris made his way to the saloon to find Vin so they could take care of some things for the Judge. As he approached the saloon, he saw a sullen JD seated out front.

"Chris, can we talk?" he said, momentarily looking away from his drink.

"Sure JD. What's on your mind?" Chris replied sitting down next to the younger man.

"I think you know what I want to talk about."

Sighing, Chris straightened in his seat, praying it didn't get ugly.

Nervously wiping his sweaty hands on his pants, JD finally spoke up. "Ya know, when I first heard 'bout you and Casey, I thought it was just Buck playing a joke on me or something. Never in a million years did I believe it was true," he said, very animatedly, waving his hands. "I mean, Casey and I have this understanding."

"Don't you mean, you and Casey HAD an understanding. It was my impression that after her return, things had changed between ya both. I never would intentionally tried to take her from ya, but our feelings were mutual. Casey knew what she was doing."

"Geez Chris, what do you take me for, some kind a nut? I know you didn't go out of your way to rip my heart out," he said, getting slightly agitated and took another drink.

"When I saw the two of you together at Nathan's it hit me like a cannon ball, and all I wanted to do was to go over and knock ya to the ground. I just figured Casey'd always be there. I didn't expect her to come back and fall in love with one of my best friends."

"JD, I think ya better lay off that stuff before--"

"Don't tell me what to do, Chris, you're not my father," he said angrily pushing Chris's hand away from the bottle in front of him. JD stood up, now face to face with Chris.

"Just tell me one thing, Chris," pointing his finger at him.

"What's that?" Chris asked quizzically.

"Do you really love her? 'Cause you are one of my best friends, Chris, and I look up to ya like a brother. But if you don't love her and end up hurting her in any way, I'll knock ya into next year," he said diplomatically.

"JD, I appreciate you're acting like a man and saying what's on your mind. I do love Casey. I think I have for quite some time now. She has a special way about her that just makes me feel totally at peace, different than Sarah ever made me feel. It doesn't mean a part of me won't always love her too, 'cause I will, but I need to move on with my life. I won't hurt her, you have my word on that, JD," he answered placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"I mean it Chris, she is still my friend and I want nothing bad happening to her. Both of you are my friends and if being together is what you both want than I wish you both all the best. It'll just take some time to get over the shock of it, but I'd rather have ya as a friend than not at all," he said, briskly walking away, tears beginning to form in his eyes.




Just as Chris pushed thru the door in to the saloon he heard a variety of comments as well as money being exchanged by his friends. Most of it going to Ezra.

"Aw Hell!" Buck complained as he saw Chris languidly approach the table they were all seated around. Chris intercepted a few of the bills being passed to the gambler.

"Now what's this?" he asked holding the money up.

"Just a friendly wager, Mr. Larabee." Ezra drawled, his enjoyment evident.

"I can see that. On what?"

"Well, Mr. Wilmington, over there, merely proposed that young JD might take a swing at you. So, I took it upon myself to defend the young lad with a small monetary proviso."

"It's so good of you to look out for JD that way and seeing he's not here, I guess you'll be buying the next round for us," Chris said, chuckling as he took the bill over to Inez at the bar. Ezra was less than thrilled at the gunslinger's actions, took the rest of his winnings, and exited to his room.




Meanwhile, back at the boarding house, Casey was preparing a special dinner for Chris. Vin had just left with dinner for him and Nettie. So, that left Casey alone with her cooking and her thoughts until a knock on the back door caused her to jump. Cautiously, she approached the door. Opening it just a little to see who it was, she was taken aback when she saw JD standing in front of her looking rather disheveled.

"JD? What happened to you?"

"Nothin' I just wanted to stop by and apologize for yellin' at ya the other day and I want ya to know I'm glad to see you so happy."

"It's okay, JD. I know you must be hurt, and I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt ya, believe me. But I do love Chris." Casey said, concern in her voice.

"I understand, and I know Chris loves you too, so please just take care of each other and know I'm still here for you as a friend when ever you need one."

"Thank you, JD. Just hearing you say that makes me feel better," she said hugging him. JD quickly pulled from her embrace and took off in a hurry, not wanting Casey to see the pain in his eyes.

Turing her attention back to her plans for Chris, Casey preceded to set a romantic table for two in the dining room. As she was about to take the biscuits from the oven, she felt two strong arms slid around her waist and heard a familiar voice next to her ear.

"Something smells good," Chris whispered, placing a wet kiss on her ear.

"Thank you, but if you keep that up your dinner is going to burn," she replied, grinning at him as she wiggling out of his arms.

"Then I guess we'll just have to have something else for dinner."

"Chris, I made this specially for you. I wanted tonight to be special for us." A hurt look shown on her face.

Taking the biscuits from her, Chris ran his hand across her cheek, "I didn't mean to upset you darlin', I just wanted to show how much I missed you this afternoon."

Folding herself into his arms, Casey said, "I'm sorry Chris, I just wanted everything to be perfect for you. I missed you too."

"It is, sweetheart. I haven't been so excited to come home in a long time. Knowing you were her waiting for me gives me such a wonderful feeling, I can't describe it," he said, kissing her on the forehead. "So, let's eat. This smells great."

The evening went splendidly, and the two ended the day in knowing that what they had together was something very special and lasting. Cuddled together, their love keeping them warm, they slept as dreams of their future filling her head.

THE END